How does this draft stack up top 6?

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I haven't studied it that much.. it seems like Zion is a little ahead of the other top 2. After that there is a fall off? Would we be that worse off at 6 than lets say 3? It seems like is Zion, Moran or bust.. Not sure how much that is the case.. hoping for more than Josh Jackson or Bender out of this one... Is this draft better than those where we pick?

OP
OP
C

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Looking at the 2017 draft.. I wanted Tatum which we were so close to getting but a lot thought Josh Jackson was a better prospect.. Josh Collins stats look really good though 14 points 57.2% shooting 36.4% 3 8 rebounds/ .8 blocks and half a steal a game and he was picked at 19.. I know that is a different position but still fairly impressive..

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I haven't studied it that much.. it seems like Zion is a little ahead of the other top 2. After that there is a fall off? Would we be that worse off at 6 than lets say 3? It seems like is Zion, Moran or bust.. Not sure how much that is the case.. hoping for more than Josh Jackson or Bender out of this one... Is this draft better than those where we pick?

These things change, and sometimes drafts look different in retrospect...

But my read is that:

A) You have a #1 prospect that is better than most years.

B) The #2 and #3 are comparable to top 3 prospects most years.

C) This is a weak draft after the top 3.

Barrett is not a good fit for this team imho, but he's a really good prospect. After him, Zion, and Morant, there's not a single player I'd be excited to take at 4-6.

You've got guys like Cam Reddish and Nassir Little with perceived upside and disappointing on-court performance.

And you've got guys like Jarrett Culver and DeAndre Hunter who are solid but have questionable upside.

To make matters worse, the majority of the top 10 candidates (including the 4 I just mentioned) are wings or tweener forward types (Hachimura, Johnson, Okpala, Langford, etc.) which is the last thing the Suns need.

There are always surprises, but I wouldn't be that much more comfortable at 4 in this draft than at 15. If I got the 4th pick in this draft and I couldn't trade it for value, I'd probably take Darius Garland, which is a pretty big reach on a guy who has been out all year with an injury.

Basically, if the Suns get the 4th, 5th, or 6th pick, I would be hoping for a good trade.

Last edited:

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
After #1 it’s one of the weakest drafts in some time. RJ Barrett has some tools and a great body but he’s a poor fit for the Suns as others have mentioned. I’d probably take him over Ja at this point who has all kinds of red flags.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
After #1 it’s one of the weakest drafts in some time. RJ Barrett has some tools and a great body but he’s a poor fit for the Suns as others have mentioned. I’d probably take him over Ja at this point who has all kinds of red flags.

What are all these red flags you speak of?

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
What are all these red flags you speak of?

Pretty much everything offensively that stems from his one translatable skill which is explosiveness. His efficiency lives at the rim. His long range and midrange numbers are bad and I haven’t seen any resemblance of a floater or touch. There’s not much contesting at the rim either... Maybe it was poor timing but from the 4-5 Murray St games I watched I came away higher on his defensive potential than passing potential. He’s a high usage player and nothing about dustributing was impressive.

That said I would not be against him if they can’t get a legitimate PG. Or I wouldn’t be against Conley and Morant.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If we miss on Zion and Morant, what do we think of Darius Garland? He only played four games this season for Vanderbilt before tearing his meniscus and having surgery, so he's flying a bit under the radar. I don't know much about him, but from what I've seen, it seems he's a very good shooter, excellent ball handler, and plays under control.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
If we miss on Zion and Morant, what do we think of Darius Garland? He only played four games this season for Vanderbilt before tearing his meniscus and having surgery, so he's flying a bit under the radar. I don't know much about him, but from what I've seen, it seems he's a great shooter, has very good handles, and plays under control.

Not a PG but I’d sure as heck take Eric Gordon on this team of which he reminds of. Side note Vandy beat ASU but has lost 18 straight. :eek:

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
These drafts have killed us. We need a PF so we take two in Bender and Chriss. Then we need a wing and take JJ. Should of just took the best player and I don't care if he is 5'10. Hint Hint Cardinals

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
Probably the 2.3 assist average for someone playing 27 mins a game.
Ya that's a little concerning for a true point guard of course who knows if that would have averaged higher if he would have played the whole season , I think he was shooting almost 50% from three in those four games though and the sun's are the worst three point shooting team

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These drafts have killed us. We need a PF so we take two in Bender and Chriss. Then we need a wing and take JJ. Should of just took the best player and I don't care if he is 5'10. Hint Hint Cardinals

JJ was most definitely the best player available when he was selected. Who do you think was the best player available there if not JJ? Even if you think Fox was better, which I don't agree with but I can at least see the reasons behind saying he was the #4 prospect, JJ was no worse than the #5 in that draft.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JJ was most definitely the best player available when he was selected. Who do you think was the best player available there if not JJ? Even if you think Fox was better, which I don't agree with but I can at least see the reasons behind saying he was the #4 prospect, JJ was no worse than the #5 in that draft.

I'm not wanting to revisit the 2017 draft but I liked Fox because I thought he fulfilled a need and he fit BPA.

@AzStevenCal liked Markannen a lot.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not wanting to revisit the 2017 draft but I liked Fox because I thought he fulfilled a need and he fit BPA.

@AzStevenCal liked Markannen a lot.

I remember both of you pushing for those guys but we also had Bledsoe so Fox didn't fill a need really, although Bledsoe was dealt right after the start of the season. With Markannen I think Steve was high on him because we landed at #4, which is where a lot of people thought we'd be stuck with Tatum since Fultz, Ball, and Jackson were viewed as #1, #2, and #3 from that draft. I know that ended up being wrong but I recall how happy the majority of the board was that we were able to land JJ on draft night. I don't recall anyone being upset with that pick, even if they wanted us to take someone else, JJ was viewed as a good pick even if it wasn't the player some wanted the most.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's that draft thread, if you want to check it out. You seemed happy with the pick @Mainstreet . I've made it through the first 100 posts and no one seems upset. Most are really happy with the Jackson pick, some ecstatic and some "thrilled"....

As previously mentioned Jackson did not look happy. I'm thrilled with the pick though.

It seems once Boston took Tatum is when everyone got happy. Fultz and Ball were going #1 and #2 and after those were official everyone seemed to relax a bit.

https://www.arizonasportsfans.com/forum/threads/2017-official-draft-thread.251523/

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember both of you pushing for those guys but we also had Bledsoe so Fox didn't fill a need really, although Bledsoe was dealt right after the start of the season. With Markannen I think Steve was high on him because we landed at #4, which is where a lot of people thought we'd be stuck with Tatum since Fultz, Ball, and Jackson were viewed as #1, #2, and #3 from that draft. I know that ended up being wrong but I recall how happy the majority of the board was that we were able to land JJ on draft night. I don't recall anyone being upset with that pick, even if they wanted us to take someone else, JJ was viewed as a good pick even if it wasn't the player some wanted the most.

As we know now Bledsoe wanted to be traded. Also Steve and I didn't want to pay Bledsoe the big money he wanted because of his knee injury.

The reason there was not any clamor about the pick is it became very obvious the Suns wanted to go this direction... Tatum or Jackson. The Suns were not going to draft Fox or Markkanen.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Here's that draft thread, if you want to check it out. You seemed happy with the pick @Mainstreet . I've made it through the first 100 posts and no one seems upset. Most are really happy with the Jackson pick, some ecstatic and some "thrilled"....

It seems once Boston took Tatum is when everyone got happy. Fultz and Ball were going #1 and #2 and after those were official everyone seemed to relax a bit.

https://www.arizonasportsfans.com/forum/threads/2017-official-draft-thread.251523/
Oh. I considered it a three player draft. Ball, Fultz, Jackson. I bought the hype.

I did like Tatum though, just not better than those three.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Fox even refused to work out for us. Drafting him simply wasn't going to happen.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fox even refused to work out for us. Drafting him simply wasn't going to happen.

I forgot about that. The draft was also before Knight suffered his injury so even if we had plans of trading Bledsoe we still had Knight here. I don't blame Fox for being apprehensive about joining us. Last time we drafted a PG in the 1st round he was buried on the depth chart behind Goran, Bledsoe, and IT. I don't know how Ennis ever saw the floor here. Fox was much better than Ennis and he could have learned behind Bledsoe but he ended up in a good spot in Sacramento and is probably the best player from that draft class this year with Tatum taking a step back this season.

OP
OP
C

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

I don't know if that is the best analogy I don't think any of the "Experts" feel Murray is the best player in the draft just an area of need at the most important position. Bosa is the concensus best player in the draft.. so going with that theory it would be the opposite of what you are saying..

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think this thread is about the 2019 NBA draft so to me it’s a Top 3 draft. After Williamson, Morant & Barrett there isn’t much. Reddish too inconsistent to be in top tier.