How Attractive is the AZ Job?

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Listening to Bickley and Marotta and they were talking about the attractiveness of this job. Last year, when BA "retired", they indicated the Cards were turned down and had to wait until all the other jobs were filled before settling on their next HC. The main reason they gave was that no one wanted to follow BA, the bar was too high. Is this year any better?

I'd say Wilks succesfully lowered the bar. Plus, the QB situation last year was unknown. Now at least, we have a 2 QB's on the roster going forward (vs. zero last year). Our cap space and #1 pick certainly help, but the perceived existing talent on this team has definitely taken a hit.

Where does this job rank on the list of openings now?

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Packers. QB in prime, decent roster, strong institutional support and ownership.
Browns. Roster plus John Dorsey. Ownership a negative.

next tier:

Broncos Good roster, but QB is a ?. Elway seems very hands on and ownership?
Cardinals. Young QB + draft and cap assets. GM on the hotseat a negative.

next tier:

Jets -- young QB in place vs the other two. Ownership seems impetuous. GM on hotseat.
Dolphins
Bucs

Last:

Bengals. Mike Brown.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
The two biggest negatives we have are GM on the hot seat and questionable rookie QB. It depends I guess on what the particular candidates opinion of Rosen is to be honest.

If they like what they see then I'd say we're near the top other than the GM problem.

If they don't we're near the bottom.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The two biggest negatives we have are GM on the hot seat and questionable rookie QB. It depends I guess on what the particular candidates opinion of Rosen is to be honest.

If they like what they see then I'd say we're near the top other than the GM problem.

If they don't we're near the bottom.

With how bad the O-line play was & the lack of WR play, the Cardinals need to sell Rosen as a future star. Sell his physical attributes & downplay the actual game tape. A good salesman could do this. Do we know what we truly have in Rosen? Is he a true QBOTF? Maybe, maybe not. It's up to the Cardinal brass to sell it as gospel truth that he is.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Firing a HC after just one season factors into this as well. Regardless of reason, that may very well cause candidates to not consider the Cardinals.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
With how bad the O-line play was & the lack of WR play, the Cardinals need to sell Rosen as a future star. Sell his physical attributes & downplay the actual game tape. A good salesman could do this. Do we know what we truly have in Rosen? Is he a true QBOTF? Maybe, maybe not. It's up to the Cardinal brass to sell it as gospel truth that he is.

The problem with that is that you're selling that to an actual afficianado that you pray to God actually knows the product better than you do.

Which is why I said it the way I did.

I'm not one of those so I legit don't know, but the person they want should be, and that's bad or good because you will know by who answers your phone call what they actually think of him.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Packers #1

Browns #1A

Jets #2

after that throw a dart but Dolphins and Cards are middle of the pack

Bucs & Bengals have to be at bottom due to ownership.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
depends I guess on what the particular candidates opinion of Rosen is to be honest.

there will be self selection here --

coaches know how to evaluate and have access to film --

an offensive coach only takes the Cards job if they evaluate Rosen and believe in his potential

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'd want a few guarantees. This team isn't exactly the 2016-17 Browns so a complete rebuild is unnecessary. But ownership can't expect you to turn goat piss into gasoline overnight. I'd want at least 5 years.

iLLmatiC

Drive-by Poster
Reaction score
I'd want a few guarantees. This team isn't exactly the 2016-17 Browns so a complete rebuild is unnecessary. But ownership can't expect you to turn goat piss into gasoline overnight. I'd want at least 5 years.

5 years is ridiculous, you don't need 5 years to turn a team around in the NFL.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I would hope the new head coach has his own thoughts about Rosen coming into the job.

OP
OP
crisper57

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
So we're just going to continue with the 2/3 years and move on?
2-3 years is more than enough time to know if the organization is heading in the correct direction. This isn't college where you want a coach's entire team to be composed of his recruits before passing judgment. In the NFL, where a team goes from worst-to-first virtually every season, 5 years is excessively patient.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Packers #1

Browns #1A

Jets #2

after that throw a dart but Dolphins and Cards are middle of the pack

Bucs & Bengals have to be at bottom due to ownership.
packers aren't as good as you think. FA's don't love living in Green Bay, they don't have a ton of money to spend after Rodgers contract, and draft n develop is a hot or miss proposition that takes time.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
So we're just going to continue with the 2/3 years and move on?

Whisenhunt went from inheriting a 5-11 team and went 8-9-10 wins the next 3 years

Arians inherited a 5-11 team and went 10-11-13 wins the next 3 years

You don't need 5 years to turn around a franchise those 2 guys are proof of that.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
2-3 years is more than enough time to know if the organization is heading in the correct direction. This isn't college where you want a coach's entire team to be composed of his recruits before passing judgment. In the NFL, where a team goes from worst-to-first virtually every season, 5 years is excessively patient.
It depends on the team. This team right now is a hot mess. The offensive line is in tatters, the WR corp is in tatters, the linebacking corp is mediocre at best, the secondary is, well you get the idea. This team needs lots of work and it won't be done overnight.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Whisenhunt went from inheriting a 5-11 team and went 8-9-10 wins the next 3 years

Arians inherited a 5-11 team and went 10-11-13 wins the next 3 years

You don't need 5 years to turn around a franchise those 2 guys are proof of that.
And who did he inherit it from? Can I then point to Matt Patricia taking a 9-7 team and turned it into a 6-10 team? And what did that 13 win Cardinal team turn into the next 2 years? I'm not saying it's impossible but depending on the team. Also, I never said it would take 5 years to turn a team around but are you guys saying that this must be a championship team in 3 years or else?

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
And who did he inherit it from? Can I then point to Matt Patricia taking a 9-7 team and turned it into a 6-10 team? And what did that 13 win Cardinal team turn into the next 2 years? I'm not saying it's impossible but depending on the team. Also, I never said it would take 5 years to turn a team around but are you guys saying that this must be a championship team in 3 years or else?

Not championship but they should be a playoff team in 3 years, that isn't an unrealistic expectation.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
A
And expensive when you fire him.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe not all that attractive for top line experienced coaches but there's only 32 of these jobs in the world. Anyone with guts would jump at the chance imo

Willie D

Veteran
Reaction score
Question: How attractive is the AZ coaching job?

Answer: Not very for the qualified candidates

To wit:

a. You now have a GM on the hot seat. If he's fired (like he should have been), the new GM will want his own head ball coach, not someone else's leftovers.

b. QB with a big question mark on him due to turmoil in OCs and player development.

c. Management which has tried to lowball quality players in negotiations.

d. Disgruntled star talent broadcasting a negative image around the league.

e. Last successful coach "retired," took a year off and now is sniffing around other teams.

f. Ownership's history of accepting mediocrity.

For the up-and-coming skill coach or OC, it's a carrot to bite. But if you're talking about veteran, winning coaches who can call their own shot, something's rotten in the state of Denmark.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson