House of the Dragon (HBO)

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m leery of the big time jump coming up shown in the previews. They’ve done a good job of making Rhaenera a focal point of the show. If they’re Switching horses halfway through the race, her replacement better be aces.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like the overall plot and I find it intriguing and, mostly, realist, but the dialog is terrible. There is almost no character development beyond conversation tto specifically drive the plot. None of the anecdotal story telling of the first 4 or 5 seasons of GoT and basically zero humor.

The show is currently being saved by very good actors, who are saving a lack of meaningful dialog by meaningful states and some fantastic production values.

I do have a few major issues though...

The character they introduced in the resent episode could not be a more lazy trope... a whispering hunchback who immediately starts talking of deep secrets and treason upon meeting the queen... they couldn't have made a more blatant shady character if they'd given him a forked tongue.

And they reeeeeeeally better address "Sir Tristian" committing a flat out murder in the last episode... but I suspect they won't. There was a lot about that character that bugged me in that episode... how is he so full on head over heals after one bang session? Is he really so stupid to think she'd want to live as a peasant in the East? What the hell was with him confessing everything to the queen before she even asked him a question? They took an interesting character and made him into an unrealistic imbecile.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the overall plot and I find it intriguing and, mostly, realist, but the dialog is terrible. There is almost no character development beyond conversation tto specifically drive the plot. None of the anecdotal story telling of the first 4 or 5 seasons of GoT and basically zero humor.

The show is currently being saved by very good actors, who are saving a lack of meaningful dialog by meaningful states and some fantastic production values.

I do have a few major issues though...

The character they introduced in the resent episode could not be a more lazy trope... a whispering hunchback who immediately starts talking of deep secrets and treason upon meeting the queen... they couldn't have made a more blatant shady character if they'd given him a forked tongue.

And they reeeeeeeally better address "Sir Tristian" committing a flat out murder in the last episode... but I suspect they won't. There was a lot about that character that bugged me in that episode... how is he so full on head over heals after one bang session? Is he really so stupid to think she'd want to live as a peasant in the East? What the hell was with him confessing everything to the queen before she even asked him a question? They took an interesting character and made him into an unrealistic imbecile.

I think this is a pretty good summary of where I'm at.

I'm not ready to bail or anything, but these are exactly the kinds of issues that make people think this is just a money-grab on a hot IP. Let's hope they can pull this thing back together as the season winds down.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
Even though I knew it was coming:
I’m bummed about the time jump

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay… people keep dying and I DGAF. That’s a problem.

If GOT never existed, I prob wouldn’t be watching this show.

JerkFace

Reaction score
Okay… people keep dying and I DGAF. That’s a problem.

If GOT never existed, I prob wouldn’t be watching this show.

I don’t understand why they are racing through the timeline. You don’t care about the people who are dying because they’ve had such limited screen time. Why would you care about the death of someone you just met a few scenes earlier? They are clearly rushing towards the big Queen vs Princess battle when the iron throne vacates, but I think they a rushing over storylines that would of endeared us more to the different characters.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t understand why they are racing through the timeline. You don’t care about the people who are dying because they’ve had such limited screen time. Why would you care about the death of someone you just met a few scenes earlier? They are clearly rushing towards the big Queen vs Princess battle when the iron throne vacates, but I think they a rushing over storylines that would of endeared us more to the different characters.
That’s definitely why I don’t care. Maybe those characters in the books aren’t interesting enough? Or maybe the story itself just isn’t interesting enough.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They definitely need to do a better job of getting people attached to characters or this is just going to be a revolving door of introduction and death that nobody will ever care about.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I think this is a pretty good summary of where I'm at.

I'm not ready to bail or anything, but these are exactly the kinds of issues that make people think this is just a money-grab on a hot IP. Let's hope they can pull this thing back together as the season winds down.
Uh, everyone knew it was always just a money grab on a hot IP. That isn't news.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Uh, everyone knew it was always just a money grab on a hot IP. That isn't news.

:confused:

Notice that the word, "BREAKING," is no where to be found in my post. How about '... make people continue to think'? Better? Sheesh.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They definitely need to do a better job of getting people attached to characters or this is just going to be a revolving door of introduction and death that nobody will ever care about.

This is why GoT worked for us. Even though it felt like the exposition was extraordinarily long and confusing, once you started to find your bearings, you cared about those characters and had families/storylines you were pulling for and against. Plus, it enhanced the re-watchability moving forward during those long season breaks. With the time-jumps, they skip over the natural evolution of not just the story, but the behind the scenes elements that need to find their groove too.

Of course, they probably got a lot of crap about filler episodes and storylines that went nowhere, but they should have identified a happy medium by now and realized how much a cohesive long-term plan is needed with a franchise like this. Maybe that's impossible in today's environment.

JerkFace

Reaction score
The show has its issues, but I enjoyed tonight’s episode after not being a fan of the last one.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel like they could have added a few more scenes where everyone looks at each other with various, serious expressions. ;)

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay… this show is starting to heat up (pun kinda intended).

I’m buying this Rhaenera a little more after having trouble with the jump last episode and didn’t see that beat coming at the end.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay… this show is starting to heat up (pun kinda intended).

I’m buying this Rhaenera a little more after having trouble with the jump last episode and didn’t see that beat coming at the end.
I loved the kids mixing it up scene. Usually, they are nothing more than just background props to move the story along.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I loved the kids mixing it up scene. Usually, they are nothing more than just background props to move the story along.
Yeah… getting the kids involved more was something I kinda feared they could pull off, but they definitely pulled it off in this episode.

Luciano

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Why this guy doesn't age ?!

You must be registered for see images attach

Deamon also hasn't aged much.
The girls had to age.

Attachments

• 1664842147130.png
    1664842147130.png
    300.6 KB · Views: 1

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All that said for how good this last episode was, the new “Littlefinger” dude sucks. Gotta get a better/more fun schemer than the hobbled dude.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All that said for how good this last episode was, the new “Littlefinger” dude sucks. Gotta get a better/more fun schemer than the hobbled dude.

He creeps me out. Still though, the role really needs that 'douche-factor,' and he's got it in spades.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose