House of the Dragon (HBO)

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Meh he’s a man that created something that entertained millions. He’s 72. Let him be.

Well, it's not like I'm banging on his door or anything... :) I'm not even a blip on his radar.

Or am I? I actually once had a private conversation with him at a con. Just about a minute on an elevator. And, since I like to treat people like people, we just BSed like normal folks.

Luciano

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think 7 out of 10
They are all blonde and I need to learn the names and relationship was a little hard to follow.
Dragons look good. Kings Landing looks a little too CGI to me but overall costumes and scenes were good.
Blood Brothels and family infighting.

The knights Jousting tournament with Deamon was good.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks and feels like GoT. Definitely has a 'milking it' vibe, but I don't really care because the universe is fun and we were entertained for the hour. The conflicts seemed very obvious early on, but that could just be because we're used to the GoT storytelling methods now. I'm sure some misdirects or surprises are on the way. I might actually go back and re-watch with captions because between the busy soundtrack and thick accents, it was easy to miss some key dialog.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
It was ok - I was a late comer to GOT and only finished the entire series earlier this summer. So by now, I'm kinda tired of the same themes (infighting over who comes onto the throne, blood, gore, etc.)

I'm trying to figure out why the black guy has blonde hair, lol.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
I’m still bitter over GoT and especially George not finishing Winds of Winter in over 11 years now and we’re never going to see A Dream of Spring thanks to him doing these side distractions. So I’ve said that I’m not supporting anything he does until he finishes the books.

Plus the show is only telling the Dance of the Dragons story. There’s a good animated telling of it on one of the season’s blu-ray. I can tell you how it goes right now. The show also has the prequel problem to it. I know that any of the actions in it doesn’t matter because it all leads to Bran on the throne.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Potential but mediocre opening episode. I could see Matt Smith's character being the delicious bad guy. I have heard that the show gets better and better each episode. We shall see.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I was worried I wouldn't buy it and that they were just throwing something against the wall to see if it stuck.
TBH I fell right back into it with no problem.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Solid pilot. Got me to watch another episode.

Cardsmasochist

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I’m struggling to finish the first episode. I agree with Covert Rain. It’s kinda boring but hopefully it gets better with each episode

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder how much I’d like this show if GOT never existed.

I like Ranera a lot as the princess, but two episodes in, this is really predictable.

It’s also desperately missing a character/actor as incredible as Tyrion/Dinklage who brought the perfect amount of gravitas and a bit of levity at the same time.

Bran… I still can’t believe freaking Bran ended up on the throne.

Last edited:

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
I'm going to stick with it because GOT was so incredible, but I'm concerned about the gravitas of these characters, as you mentioned cheese.

It seems GOT hit the ground running with strong characters, but I'm hoping my memory is wrong.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Still kind of predictable, but another solid episode. I'm liking the pace of this so it doesn't feel like they need filler day to day type episodes. They did a fantastic job casting the princess. She carries every scene she's in.

The one thing I'm picking up on:

Just about everyone seems to be very power-hungry. I wonder if this theme will carry on throughout. ;)

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Second episode was better than the pilot IMO. This feels like it's going to be a slow build. However.......
I heard there is a time jump and all the kid actors are getting replaced soon in the season with grown up versions. Not sure if this is to move the storyline along but it seems like an odd choice. As the original GOT proved that some of the kid actors only enhanced the story telling from a standpoint of their interactions in an adult world. It's good but so far not great for me.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
House of Dragon already loses co-showrunner Miguel Sapochnik after one season. That doesn't sound good. The speculation started I guess because he was the only one that didn't show up for Comic con. Now it's official.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Getting into the incest part of Thrones, huh?

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know her character is 'of age' but she still looks way too young and a lot of this episode was creeping me out.
Yep, made me uncomfortable. I think she is 22 in real life but she looks way younger than that.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know her character is 'of age' but she still looks way too young and a lot of this episode was creeping me out.
same.

that set, this was the best episode of the series so far. lots of f'ed up stuff going on and real pointed scenes between characters.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose