House Of Cards (Netflix)

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
The latter for sure.

IMO it's back on the same track as seasons 1 and 2 - I personally love the machinations and backroom dealings aspect of the show and while it can be ridiculous in how it goes about it, the show is at its best when FU is wrecking lives. That poor NRA backed senator, for example...damn, Frank.

I thought the latter part of the season did, but the first half of the season was the same eye-rolling crap the 3rd season was. And the extremely predictable and contrived way they got there was turrible.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Immeasurably better than last season. And I was ready to unload on it, almost looking forward to ripping this show apart after how disappointed I was with season 3 and I was sure they'd written themselves into a corner. It was a bit ungainly the first few episodes as they had to slop through cleaning up last season's mess but once that was over with it was great.

Anyway, it was really good. Nearly as good as season 1, easily the best since.

Last edited:

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you think it re-captured the magic from seasons 1 and 2? That it overcame the crap that was season 3?

Just finished season 4, thought it was fantastic. Season 3 was very disappointing but this season was right back where it should be.

thoroughly enjoyed.

Stayed up until midnight watching last night as couldn't leave it with just one episode left.

So my assumption is his comments were intended to have the ICO guy murder the american to deflect attention off of him, yeah?

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Just finished season 4, thought it was fantastic. Season 3 was very disappointing but this season was right back where it should be.

thoroughly enjoyed.

Stayed up until midnight watching last night as couldn't leave it with just one episode left.

So my assumption is his comments were intended to have the ICO guy murder the american to deflect attention off of him, yeah?

Yep, you got it.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Season 5 has been out for awhile and I'm surprised no one has commented on it. I still haven't started on it(just haven't have the drive to yet) but was curious if anyone else has. Did it lose its luster, hence why there is no talk about it?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Season 5 has been out for awhile and I'm surprised no one has commented on it. I still haven't started on it(just haven't have the drive to yet) but was curious if anyone else has. Did it lose its luster, hence why there is no talk about it?

CNN, MSNBC and FOX are more entertaining.

I feel for the writer's rooms on Cards and Veep right now. They simply can't compete with the ludicrousness of reality right now.

And Cards doesn't seem like it's trying that hard. I'm only four episodes in, but The Election Day stunt seems pretty obvious and pedestrian from this show.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whoa... and they TOTALLY ripped off last season's VEEP!

Damn... weak freaking sauce Cards. Now I know why Williamson left.

Super disappointing.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What was the Veep ripoff? I don't watch that show.

the whole electoral process going to the House, the new campaign/jockeying for the VP slot, getting enough votes in the Senate.

and good lord, was Joel Kinnamon's Presidential Opponent just a complete waste of space or what? He literally never posed a threat... just took up screen time, hinting at a big secret from his time in the military and then just... abandoning the story.

at last though the show has real adversaries for the leads next season. it's the only place they have left to go with the show.

overall though... last season was really underwhelming until the last three episodes.

Stout

Reaction score
the whole electoral process going to the House, the new campaign/jockeying for the VP slot, getting enough votes in the Senate.

and good lord, was Joel Kinnamon's Presidential Opponent just a complete waste of space or what? He literally never posed a threat... just took up screen time, hinting at a big secret from his time in the military and then just... abandoning the story.

at last though the show has real adversaries for the leads next season. it's the only place they have left to go with the show.

overall though... last season was really underwhelming until the last three episodes.

See, I liked the hinting at the big secret bit, and I don't think they abandoned the story. The point was they didn't HAVE to (and ultimately couldn't manage to) reveal it, because he fell to pieces under pressure anyway. I can see where you didn't like that bit, and I agree that it wasn't the best season, though. It'll never recapture the magic, I don't think, although we're at an interesting place now.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Gotcha.

I like Usher. I don't get the Jane Davis character - fell into favor waaaay too fast. It's not like she really delivered on anything early on, either. She never should have been able to curry that much favor. Usher makes more sense as to how they set him up as a character, but Davis was kind of helicoptered in. Also, she's got to be ex CIA.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just finished this, after heaping praise on season 4, season 5 turned out to be one of the sloppiest, stupidest, least believable seasons of any show I've ever seen. The final "twist" by Frank was so contrived and awful and did not even remotely match up with what had taken place in the episodes leading up, especially given his habit of breaking the 4th wall. So... as he secretly executed his absurd scheme he needed to keep up the ruse to his imaginary friends?

The "Jane" character they introduced about halfway through... what is she? A political fairy god mother? Seemingly capable of accomplishing any task in a moment with one whisk of her magical cell phone... only... you better stay on her good side! Her sleepy space cadet routine is an act! Watch out Underwoods!

Good... lord... it was awful.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Binged this show over the last few months. I was expecting to have a 40 page thread to read through, with how often I hear this show talked about.

Also, shoving Durant? Come on, man. Lazy writing.

Oh man, that scene was so cringeworthy. I saw it coming and I told myself, there's no way they wrote that. And then it happens and nobody suspects anything. Just silly.

This show makes me appreciate my simple life. There's no way I could keep track of so many lies and enemies.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They should have had him assassinated 2 seasons ago to cap off that somewhat of a bounce back season. Last season was a train wreck and seeing as they're totally bereft of interesting characters... I doubt this one will recover.

Also, they should have brought Spacey back for 1 episode, despite his personal problems. The people who hate Spacey can enjoy watching him get murdered and the people who enjoy the show could get a measure of satisfaction as the entire series was his character.

Stout

Reaction score
They should have had him assassinated 2 seasons ago to cap off that somewhat of a bounce back season. Last season was a train wreck and seeing as they're totally bereft of interesting characters... I doubt this one will recover.

Also, they should have brought Spacey back for 1 episode, despite his personal problems. The people who hate Spacey can enjoy watching him get murdered and the people who enjoy the show could get a measure of satisfaction as the entire series was his character.

Yeah, it hasn't been good for a while. The show was always at its best with the Underwoods working together. With tons of underlying tension, with little fights and jabs, yes, but ultimately pulling in the same direction. It fell apart with the major rift, IMO.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm surprised nobody posted this. It was better than the whole final season.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Crazy for so many reasons.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
putting that video out is certifiably insane.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it? I'm not sure it's not brilliant. But whatever it is, the guy can sure act.

It’s absolutely insane. Dude was just charged and he is getting into character to try and make a point about his own behavior.

I guess there had to be one last WTF moment before the year ended.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s absolutely insane. Dude was just charged and he is getting into character to try and make a point about his own behavior.

I guess there had to be one last WTF moment before the year ended.

I deleted much of my post as I didn't want to take the thread off topic so I guess what I left makes it sound like I'm absolving him and that wasn't the point. I just think it's dangerous to keep passing judgement on these men without the benefit of a trial and their day in court. So I tend to ignore the claims and accusations even though I believe they are almost always accurate. But I laughed throughout that video thinking the guy is probably delusional and then wondering whether that was the point, to demonstrate that he is in fact, delusional.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose