Horror movies this summer

mdamien13

Go Cardinals! Yay!!!
Reaction score
For any other horror fans out there (anybody? anybody?) this summer looks to be one hell of a trip.

This month we'll be seeing "Wrong Turn", starring Eliza Dushku and a bunch of inbred, cannabalistic hillbillies. The trailers have been deemed too intense by the MPAA so I'm psyched (plus advance reviews say that this is a lot like the episode of X-Files when Mulder and Scully had to deal with that clan of inbred hillbillies in PA)

Also due sometime this summer we have the indie British hit "28 Days Later" from the guys who did "Trainspotting". Shot on digital and looks to be pretty badass. A post-apocalyptic zombie movie, can you dig it?

Another indie film that's been getting absolutely rave reviews from genre and non-horror fans alike is "Cabin Fever" (which had a teaser on HO1KC). This one will come out in August and deals with a flesh-eating virus that consumes a cabin full of teenagers.

Last but most certainly not least, "Freddy vs. Jason" will finally hit the big screen on August 15. Mark your calenders now. This film's been in development for eons now and while Kane Hodder won't be reprising his role as Jason this should still deliver some sex and violence for fans of the series. Directed by Ronny "Bride of Chucky" Yu.

Also coming out, "Beyond Re-Animator" - the third movie in a pretty kickass series of campy horror, and the video game adaption "House of the Dead".

Those of you looking to support child molesters and sequels to very crappy (even by horror standards) movies can find "Jeepers Creepers 2" also.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by mdamien13

This month we'll be seeing "Wrong Turn", starring Eliza Dushku and a bunch of inbred, cannabalistic hillbillies.

mmmmmmmm Eliza........

If I was a cannibalistic hillbilly - she would be one of the choices I would make for a meal too.

BTW - thank god I'm not.

Dan H

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Re: Re: Horror movies this summer

I umm . . . "acquired" 28 Days Later, I haven't watched it yet. It came out in Britain a while back, I'm glad it got a theatrical release here.

FischerKing

Beer me a post...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
28 Days - from the trailer - looks good. But the movie that really got my attention (comes out in Sept) is one called "Underworld" I think. Caught the trailer when I went to Identity. Looks really, really good.

Shawn

OP
OP
mdamien13

mdamien13

Go Cardinals! Yay!!!
Reaction score
Originally posted by FischerKing
But the movie that really got my attention (comes out in Sept) is one called "Underworld" I think. Caught the trailer when I went to Identity. Looks really, really good.

The thing that really excites me about this movie (besides the lovely Kate Beckinsdale (sp) in tighter leather) is that when people talk about this movie they don't try and say "oh, it's a crime thriller, love story with a supernatural backdrop". No, they say it's a horror movie with a Romeo & Juliet twist . . . except that of course it's werewolves and vampires instead of two feuding families.

September and October have a ton of good horror releases. Can't wait.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
28 Days - from the trailer - looks good. But the movie that really got my attention (comes out in Sept) is one called "Underworld" I think. Caught the trailer when I went to Identity. Looks really, really good.

Shawn

Sorry Shawn but that trailer makes 28 Day Later look stupid and unbelievably cheaply made!

JMO!

FischerKing

Beer me a post...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Shane H
Sorry Shawn but that trailer makes 28 Day Later look stupid and unbelievably cheaply made!

JMO!

I watched the trailer at www.apple.com which is different that the one in the theater. I thought it was much better.

Shawn

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
And don't forget "Underworld" with the luscious Kate Beckinsale in an action, Blade-like role.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I watched the trailer at www.apple.com which is different that the one in the theater. I thought it was much better.

Shawn

Oh. I would go watch it if I had Cable Modem :(

Ill defer to you then!

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chaplin
And don't forget "Underworld" with the luscious Kate Beckinsale in an action, Blade-like role.

Attachments

• underworldposter.jpg
    underworldposter.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 100

FischerKing

Beer me a post...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That date (Sept. 19) has been circled, underlined, blocked out, etc. for the opening of that movie. I can't wait to see it. In the trailer - where she jumps out of the balcony - lands with that little "bounce" and walks across the street was pretty tight. Looks like it's going to be a good movie.

Shawn

Dan H

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
They changed the name of Underworld to The Covenant. Don't know why.

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Originally posted by Dan H
They changed the name of Underworld to The Covenant. Don't know why.

Title Note: (5/7/03) There have been reports of a test screening in the L.A. area this past weekend in which this movie was presented not as 'Underworld', but as 'The Covenant', but it appears this might have been a 'cover title', which studios sometimes use to disguise what movie is actually playing (a screening of 'The Hulk' might be called 'Smash and Grab', for example).

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This from Cinecon.com's site: Also, a rep from Sony/Columbia Pictures has informed us that the title is still "Underworld" and not "The Covenant" as reported on Ain't it Cool News (http://www.aintitcool.com).

Gee, didn't Chap just get done saying not to believe everything you read at aintitcool.com? :D

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Hollywood Reporter reports that Ving Rhames and Sarah Polley ("Go") are in negotiations to star in a remake of the 1978 film, "Dawn of the Dead." Written by James Gunn ("Scooby-Doo"), the film will be directed by Zack Snyder and distributed by Universal Pictures.

The original film told the story of a plague which caused the dead to rise from the ground and feed on humans. A small group of humans survive and gather at a shopping mall in order to save themselves.

:thumbup:

FischerKing

Beer me a post...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah yes - even though it's a ways off, this one looks pretty intriguing as well. Hugh Jackman is in the title role!!!

Van Helsing

Shawn

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Originally posted by Brian in Mesa
The Hollywood Reporter reports that Ving Rhames and Sarah Polley ("Go") are in negotiations to star in a remake of the 1978 film, "Dawn of the Dead." Written by James Gunn ("Scooby-Doo"), the film will be directed by Zack Snyder and distributed by Universal Pictures.

The original film told the story of a plague which caused the dead to rise from the ground and feed on humans. A small group of humans survive and gather at a shopping mall in order to save themselves.

:thumbup:

No no no no no

There should be a new standing rule: NO REMAKING OF GEORGE ROMERO MOVIES!!!

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Ah yes - even though it's a ways off, this one looks pretty intriguing as well. Hugh Jackman is in the title role!!!

Van Helsing

Shawn

A few months ago, the Hollywood Reporter and Variety had some inserts from this film, basically each of the pictures from the above link on heavier cardboard paper. Very cool marketing...

OP
OP
mdamien13

mdamien13

Go Cardinals! Yay!!!
Reaction score
Preach it, brother Chaplin!

The simple thought that somebody thinks a classic horror film with a serious social/political theme and (at the time) groundbreaking effects needs to be remade is completely ridiculous. Why don't they go back and take a flawed movie with a cool premise like "Night of the Creeps" and redo that?

Only thing that could possibly redeem the DOTD remake is the fact that the screenwriter wrote "Tromeo and Juliet" (very cool Troma film) and the book "The Toy Collector". Still, a very bad idea.

Other bad ideas - Michael Bay's production company will be redoing "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre" for release in January. Why not just do another straight-to-video sequel? SciFi Channel will be remaking John Carpenter's "The Thing" into a four hour mini series.