Hopkins Wants Out?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don’t understand the rush to dump Hopkins. I doubt Murray misses more than a handful of games and could well be ready at the start of the season. How do you replace Hopkins numbers at the same cap cost? Why if you’re trying to rehab Murray do you dump his favorite receiver? Do you really expect Hopkins to dog it if he’s not traded? That would only reduce any new contract he might get elsewhere.

I think it's more likely he misses 5-6 and could well be 4-5 more after that until he's himself.

Vehicle fleet managers calculate the peak return on investment for their vehicles. How many miles they can get from them before the cost of maintenance becomes a burden balanced against the resale value.

Feels to me like we are at that point with Hopkins. What we can still squeeze out of him has less value than his trade value I believe.

Plus Kyler has Brown too now. Who he also has that connection with.

Would you not trade Hopkins for Hyatt or Boutte?

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
They’ll have a better idea of Kyler’s progress by draft time. Not comparing players but Detroit had a good idea of Jameson William’s rehab progress and took him #12 after a January ACL tear. If the outlook is promising by then I think there’s a good chance they keep him. Personally I trade him because I think the decline is nearing.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
They’ll have a better idea of Kyler’s progress by draft time. Not comparing players but Detroit had a good idea of Jameson William’s rehab progress and took him #12 after a January ACL tear. If the outlook is promising by then I think there’s a good chance they keep him. Personally I trade him because I think the decline is nearing.
I wouldn’t be surprised if the Cards hadn’t heard from Kyler by draft time.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Also, Jameson Williams didn’t get back on the field until December and is playing less than 20% of the offensive snaps. He has one catch on five targets.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Also, Jameson Williams didn’t get back on the field until December and is playing less than 20% of the offensive snaps. He has one catch on five targets.
Which is a case study of sorts for what 2023 will look like for Kyler which makes it a lost year and a largely lost year in a presumably new system with a new coaching staff.

This injury has completely upended the outlook for this team

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
DHop is out… for tomorrow’s game.
And this is why I really wonder if Kliff doesn’t get one more year. The injuries along with the buffoon/meathead of a GM give the perfect cover for keeping Kliff and not having another coach to pay for for Mikey.

If the Cards were in contention I am thinking Hop plays and this feels like a business decision. Not being critical of the decision just making an observation

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I wouldn’t be surprised if the Cards hadn’t heard from Kyler by draft time.
There’s gotta be contract stipulations regarding communication/rehab info. Or maybe they came to an agreement that he could choose his surgeon if everything was monitored?

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And this is why I really wonder if Kliff doesn’t get one more year. The injuries along with the buffoon/meathead of a GM give the perfect cover for keeping Kliff and not having another coach to pay for for Mikey.

If the Cards were in contention I am thinking Hop plays and this feels like a business decision. Not being critical of the decision just making an observation
Kingsbury won't be back. Bidwill has lost all confidence in him. Next season will be a rebuilding year for the new coach and GM. Unfortunately, we have been there before many times. :bang:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Ultimately I don't think it comes down to anything other than the Kliff / Kyler relationship.

If Kyler says all is fine Kliff likely stays. If not he likely goes.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
I don’t understand the rush to dump Hopkins. I doubt Murray misses more than a handful of games and could well be ready at the start of the season. How do you replace Hopkins numbers at the same cap cost? Why if you’re trying to rehab Murray do you dump his favorite receiver? Do you really expect Hopkins to dog it if he’s not traded? That would only reduce any new contract he might get elsewhere.

You seem more optimistic about Kyler's return than I am. I also question how much he's the same player when he does return. He's shown himself to be mentally weak so how long does it take for him to get mentally right after he's physically cleared?

As for Hop, it's mainly about giving him a chance to win during his prime because the Cards have to rebuild. What ever they can get for assets for him I see as more valuable long term for the team. 3 wins without him is better than 4 wins with him for 2023.

This is all predicated though on Keim being gone and the team having someone halfway competent drafting. If Keim is still here then keep him and maybe some contender gets desperate at the trade deadline.

OP
OP
82CardsGrad

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Good points Harry… assuming Hop wants to be here of course.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hopkins is over 30 and slow. Trade him and draft the #1 WR in the draft. Its a win win financially, quality, and draft wise.

Then package the pick you get for Hopkins with your 2nd pick and go get the big Texas RB.

Now you have the makings of a better team that you can then build your OL around, while improving your D over the 2 years you are waiting for KM to be ready to go at 100%.
This is the craziest thing I have read in a while. Trade the best player on our team and then draft the #1 receiver in the draft with the #3 or #4 pick?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another rare chance we agree. Teams typically don't get better by trading their best players... Now we if we had a proven GM that had a clear concise plan to be better in a couple years I could see it.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Another rare chance we agree. Teams typically don't get better by trading their best players... Now we if we had a proven GM that had a clear concise plan to be better in a couple years I could see it.
We're not going to be any good next season. By the season After, DHop's contract is untenable and he either needs to be extended, let go, or traded. He will have little trade value at that point. He will also be pretty old. He won't want to take a low-value contract. The likelihood is he won't be with the team in 2024.

2023 is a complete wash. Trade him while you can get good value for him.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
We're not going to be any good next season. By the season After, DHop's contract is untenable and he either needs to be extended, let go, or traded. He will have little trade value at that point. He will also be pretty old. He won't want to take a low-value contract. The likelihood is he won't be with the team in 2024.

Unfortunately this is where I reside. Had kyler not been injured my position would be different.

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

100% Stout, we need to get assets we gain nothing for him later and next year is a wash best we get back to 8-9 or maybe 9-8 but that is the best we can hope for. Maybe we get a 2nd rd pick back maybe a 3rd and 5th or something in that spectrum, but any pick now helps to rebuild this team for 2024 and beyond.

waterboy

Rookie
Reaction score
Hop can't be looking forward to next year . Murray will be a shell of his former self which wasn't much. Speed and agility will be greatly reduced. He's is a china doll that breaks easily adding to the awful legacy of Bidwill, Keim and Kingsbury. We will manage to screw up a draft yet again. I've been following this wretched franchise for more than fifty years, yet I can't look away. Just waiting for the next train or car wreck to happen.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we are going to trade Hopkins it should be at the trade deadline. If we are crap, we trade him. If we’re in the hunt perhaps we keep him.

The6

All Star
Reaction score
Tim Ring on 98.7 yesterday, after hearing a report about Hop hinting he’s done in AZ, reported he was told by a “reliable source” that Hop is extremely frustrated and is openly talking about getting out of AZ…

If true, can’t say I’m surprised at all. Whether it’s ownership, Keim, Kliffy or Kyler… or all of it combined. Sounds like he’s had enough of the dysfunction.
He's tired of not having a bonefide quarterback. Yes that's included Kyler.

wagonmound464

Rookie
Reaction score
I can understand why Dhop wants out of here and going to play for a contender,,,as he has more talent than the Cardinals
will use with the future of this cluster-*** of a team going forward. Another year with a rebuilding team is not in his best interest, and may take more than a couple of years to obtain, if at all.