Hodgins Visits Cards

Jim O

Reaction score
Cards Continue Free Agent Visits

http://www.azcardinals.com/press/pressdetails.php?sid=1113

The Cardinals started of the second week of the free agency period with Monday’s visit by fullback James Hodgins.

Arizona is the first trip Hodgins has made and unlike most free agents rushing to find a new home, Hodgins is taking his time with his next trips not scheduled until next week.

“I am not in a big hurry,” said Hodgins. “I didn’t know I was going to be a free agent until the last minute so I am taking my time with it and I want to make the right decision.”

Hodgins was considered one of the best lead blockers in the league going into the 2002 season. He was the Rams’ starting fullback in 2001, blocking for NFL Offensive Player of the Year RB Marshall Faulk and NFL MVP QB Kurt Warner. During free agency a year ago, the Broncos made a run at Hodgins, but the Rams matched the offer sheet.

Hodgins release in late February came as a surprise to him.

“They matched the offer and so I didn’t expect I’d get released this year, but what can you do? It’s a business.”

Hodgins broke his foot during a preseason game last year and didn’t see the field until eight weeks later when he played the Cardinals at Sun Devil Stadium.

“The worst game was the first game back against you guys and it was sore then,” said Hodgins. “I got through that one and then it was all downhill and hasn’t bothered me since.”

Arizona may be a good fit for fullback who is looking for a team where he can become more involved in the offense.

“The biggest thing to me is being on the field more,” emphasized Hodgins. “I want to be a more intricate part of the offense and do what I am good at and that is being a powerful blocker and catching the ball here and there. There is more of a focus on the running game here and with the huge offensive line, they should be able to dominate some people.”

Hodgins also enjoyed the short flight from his home in Sacramento and the warm weather Phoenix has to offer.

And as far what Hodgins says he can bring to a team?

“My work ethic. If we are wearing pads, I am going 100%. A lot of the NFL gets into a buddy system and they don’t like to mix it up too much. But to stay on top of my game and to be physical, you have to always practice that way. I think I set that tempo at practice.”

The Cardinals have also scheduled a visit with quarterback Jeff Blake for Tuesday. Blake started the final 10 games of last season for the Baltimore Ravens. He completed 165 of 295 pass attempts for 2,084 yards. He had 13 touchdowns, 11 interceptions and a quarterback rating of 77.3. His career stats are 1593 of 2828 attempts for 19,283 yards, 119 touchdowns, 83 interceptions and an overall rating of 79.2.

Blake had an offer on the table from the Ravens, but when Blake took trips to visit with the Chicago Bears and the Pittsburgh Steelers, Head Coach Brian Billick said the Ravens took the offer off the table.

"There was no ultimatum. My intentions were to give him an opportunity to take leadership of this team, to show this team that his commitment was to come here and be their quarterback," Billick said. "Jeff's right is to take himself into free agency, but in doing so, he made it very clear that he was not interested in what I was offering him, by way of leadership of this team, so it's prudent for us to move on. We will."

Meanwhile, the Cardinals are still vying with the Bears for the services of quarterback Kordell Stewart. Both teams have made offers to his agent Leigh Steinberg.

In other news, Cardinals wide receiver MarTay Jenkins is expected to visit the Buffalo Bills on Wednesday.

Attachments

• hodginspractice.jpg
    hodginspractice.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 260

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow Blake coming in as early as tommorrow thats GREAT!

Thanks for the info JIM!

RedStorm

Next NY Gov
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Shane H
Wow Blake coming in as early as tommorrow thats GREAT!

Thanks for the info JIM!

Can you say....lighting a fire under Kordell's rear.

Tangodnzr

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Light a fire?

LOL....my hope is they fry his butt. ;>)

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look at those arms on Hodgins. Heck if anything him and Shipp showing off there guns in the backfield would be intimidatin to say the least!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose