His Dark Materials (BBC One/HBO)

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Been watching this on HBO. For those unfamiliar with Philip Pullman's Trilogy, this is what the movie "The Golden Compass" was taken from.

Once I got the old actors out of my head from the movie, I really started liking this. despite the liberties it takes with the source material (The Golden Compass did the same thing).

Anyway, three episodes in, so far so good.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i couldn't get into it from the jump. maybe just dealing a little with huge fantasy/comic book type storytelling fatigue after GOT, Avengers and then Watchmen ending right before it started.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
My 8 year and I are watching it. We already watched the golden compass. Seems weird essentially watching the entire thing over again, just longer. Doesn’t even seem much different at this point. And isn’t the little girl the same actress?

OP
OP
UncleChris

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 8 year and I are watching it. We already watched the golden compass. Seems weird essentially watching the entire thing over again, just longer. Doesn’t even seem much different at this point. And isn’t the little girl the same actress?

Nope. Not the same actress.

The movie and tv series are similar, but the movie cut out some stuff that will be important later. The tv series followed the book very closely. The next two, The Subtle Knife and The Amber Spyglass are going to be absolutely awesome, methinks.....

OP
OP
UncleChris

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Subtle Knife starts tonight. Trailer looks pretty good!

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
My wife and I are still trying to get through season one. It’s slow.

OP
OP
UncleChris

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My wife and I are still trying to get through season one. It’s slow.

It helps if you read the books first, but yes.... It does seem a bit slow, but there's a lot of depth to it all, which pretty much mandates the slower speed, methinks.....

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
Just finished season two. Definitely better than the first season. I’m still lukewarm about it though.

OP
OP
UncleChris

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We are about halfway through season two and are loving it. Still very true to the book... and notably better than season one.

We had a bit of trouble shaking off the movie in order to really appreciate this series. When you've got A-listers like Nichole Kidman, Sam Elliott, Ian McKellen, Christopher Lee and Daniel Craig in the movie, it becomes difficult to forget their portrayals of the different roles.

However.... The series actors are doing an excellent job, particularly Ruth Wilson as Mrs. Colter. And I do like Dafne Keen as Lyra better than Dakota Blue.

Last edited:
OP
OP
UncleChris

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finished season 2. Holy, $@*%!!! Really, really fantastic. Ruth Wilson (Marisa Coulter) should get an Emmy.

Season 3 (The Amber Spyglass) is in production, with release about a year or so from now. I cannot friggin' wait!

Like the books, this series starts slowly and picks up speed and size as it goes. For those unfamiliar with where this is going, The Amber Spyglass is going to be a wild-arsed, jaw dropping ride for you. Hell... I know how it ends and am major pumped for it.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Just finished this. It was FREAKING FANTASTIC. It really starts to pick up steam at end of season 1 and then just continues to snowball - in a great way. The final season was just outstanding. Left me with a lot of feelings about the show and life.

OP
OP
UncleChris

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Binged season 3 of His Dark Materials (The Amber Sypglass) and it is just beyond words as to how good it is. Fantastic, gripping, awesome, etc etc don't begin to do justice to it. Follows the book quite closely, is dark and creepy in a number of places, goes out with a bang, with a sweet "epilogue."

Wowzers. Just wowzers. It should get a ton of awards but probably won't, because it is, as professed by the book's author, "The anti-Narnia." 5 out of 5 stars.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Binged season 3 of His Dark Materials (The Amber Sypglass) and it is just beyond words as to how good it is. Fantastic, gripping, awesome, etc etc don't begin to do justice to it. Follows the book quite closely, is dark and creepy in a number of places, goes out with a bang, with a sweet "epilogue."

Wowzers. Just wowzers. It should get a ton of awards but probably won't, because it is, as professed by the book's author, "The anti-Narnia." 5 out of 5 stars.
Agree with all of this. I thought it was fantastic all the way through. I thought casting was perfect, tempo was perfect, effects were fantastic. Nothing really took me outta the Dark Materials world ever throughout the show.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
I'm glad to hear that it picks up steam. I'm half way through season 1 and was thinking of pulling the plug. I'll stick it out, the first season at least.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose