Hire Tony Romo

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Romo is cutting edge and a true joy to listen to. As many have already posted I learn more about the game and you can tell he is a true student of the game. I hope more color guys start to adapt Romo's style and believe they can.

In fact I heard Aikman make a prediction yesterday about which LBer was going to blitz on a play and he was correct.

I remember when Madden was the new cool color guy but after a couple of years I wondered how someone so stupid ever won a SB or even coach in the NFL.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
Romo is cutting edge and a true joy to listen to. As many have already posted I learn more about the game and you can tell he is a true student of the game. I hope more color guys start to adapt Romo's style and believe they can.

In fact I heard Aikman make a prediction yesterday about which LBer was going to blitz on a play and he was correct.

I remember when Madden was the new cool color guy but after a couple of years I wondered how someone so stupid ever won a SB or even coach in the NFL.

Gruden was the king of pompousness. He made football so complicated that even die hard fans couldn’t understand what was going on (let alone our girlfriends). Madden also started getting a little carried away for a while. I like announcers who appeal to all types of football fans.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
I laugh about the "it's like telling me about what is going to happen in a movie before it happens". It is insightful info for those of use who are not x's and o's guys. But more than that, I enjoy his enthusiasm for the game as opposed to the others who sound like they are reading script (I see you Troy). He sounds like he is having fun and enjoying his job. Just like the rest of us, right?

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
He’s unbelievable. By far the best in the business and it was only his 2nd season doing it.

Too bad his former teammate Jason Witten is god awful at it but hey that’s probably why ESPN hired Witten instead.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I laugh about the "it's like telling me about what is going to happen in a movie before it happens". It is insightful info for those of use who are not x's and o's guys. But more than that, I enjoy his enthusiasm for the game as opposed to the others who sound like they are reading script (I see you Troy). He sounds like he is having fun and enjoying his job. Just like the rest of us, right?

I laugh when people say he was “spoiling it”. Their offensive pattern wasn’t too difficult to follow late in that game. It’s his personality and fanboy-ism that’s his best trait IMO. He’s the anti-Simms who’s personality resembled a chalkboard.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
CBS is preparing to offer Tony Romo a substantial raise before he becomes a free agent.

Romo has one more season remaining on his three-year contract that is paying him approximately $4 million per year.

Romo is likely to become the highest paid NFL analyst.

Jon Gruden was paid $6.5 million by ESPN, but that number grew every year that Gruden did not leave to coach.

CBS is the favorite to keep Romo.

https://nypost.com/2019/01/21/cbs-is-trying-to-end-any-pricey-tony-romo-tv-sweepstakes/
How many "assistant" coaches in the league do you think are making even half that salary?

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I have no clue why you'd want to leave the booth, making a ton of money, working part of the week - especially when you've already made a ton of money - to work the insane, long hours of a head coach.

Then again, the thing I value most when it comes to work is the amount of time I don't have to be there.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I have no clue why you'd want to leave the booth, making a ton of money, working part of the week - especially when you've already made a ton of money - to work the insane, long hours of a head coach.

Then again, the thing I value most when it comes to work is the amount of time I don't have to be there.

Some guys might love the competition aspect of coaching. Romo doesn't strike me as that type of guy.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is not as if Tony is the lead announcer. He is a color guy. After awhile that may become old. He is paired up with Jim Nance , who does , seemingly , every other sport besides football. What does Tony do in the off season besides play golf? I could see it happening when someone offers him a Jon Gruden contract. He could become one of the new breed charismatic cerebral coaches. Stranger things have happened.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
It is not as if Tony is the lead announcer. He is a color guy. After awhile that may become old. He is paired up with Jim Nance , who does , seemingly , every other sport besides football. What does Tony do in the off season besides play golf? I could see it happening when someone offers him a Jon Gruden contract. He could become one of the new breed charismatic cerebral coaches. Stranger things have happened.
Tony loves to golf, especially when he will get paid 6 mil per year to do color.

OP
OP
P

Paso Fino

Veteran
Reaction score
The Wall Street Journal amazingly reviewed all the calls Romo made during the season and the playoffs and concluded he called it right over 60% of the time.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Seriously, I can think of plenty of things to do with my time, including tons of golf. I'd retire now if it were up to me.

To be honest I don’t know what motivates a guy who made millions before he was 40 to continue to work, they have enough money to take care of a couple of generations worth of their offspring. Like Kurt Warner or Deion Sanders or guys like that.

I am with you, when I am done working I am done working.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose