Hicks vs.Collins

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by Harry, May 3, 2021 at 11:31 AM.

1. QuebecCard

QuebecCard Registered

I just gave you the logic.

The first rule of getting playing time is "don't be a liability".

The ILB ahead of him was Campbell, not Hicks, and he played well in the first half/plus of the season.

Gardeck is a STer and a gimmick pass rusher, not a potential every-down player.

Kennard and Fitts were backup OLB's whose snaps were dictated by the emergence of Reddick for the former and the loss Chandler Jones for the latter.

2. DVontel

DVontel Registered

Last season?

Dude has been a liability in coverage since he got here.

Dayman and Krangthebrain like this.
  3. juza76

juza76 Registered

This is the logic of Vance Joseph, and u seems to agree
    If u see a special team player fluorish and being effective as a pass rusher with the few snaps he got then he deserve more playing time
    I still remember the first game he racked up two sacks the week later didn't play at all, just too see Fitts and Kennard doing nothing
    Where is the logic?

Last edited: May 3, 2021 at 3:01 PM
    Stout likes this.
  4. JeffGollin

JeffGollin Registered User

Don't underrate improvements to our defensive line which may allow assignment-shifts that should take some of the load off our backers.

5. Chopper0080

Chopper0080 2021 - Prove It

We can disagree, but I will point this out. The Panthers played Jeremy Chinn who was a similar athlete and in a similar role almost the entire year without the benefit of going to a big program like Clemson or an offseason. So what happened?

Do I think Chinn is a better player than Simmons? No.

Do I think Chinn's experience at Southern Illinois prepared him for the NFL better than Simmons experience at Clemson? No.

Do I think Chinn is significantly smarter in picking up the nuances of a defense? Not really as Simmons coach Venables and the Cardinals (pre-draft) both praised Simmons defensive acumen.

So how does one compete for defensive player of the year and the other struggle to play meaningful snaps? Probably because one team had a better plan for acclimating and preparing their player for the football season without an offseason better than other. Probably because one was more comfortable with their players learning curve than the other. That is about the only answers you can really come up with.

Also, please don't try to celebrate the talents of currently unsigned free agent DeVondre Campbell.

Dayman, Nate, Chris_Sanders and 6 others like this.
  6. QuebecCard

QuebecCard Registered

The 'logic' is in the game plan.

It may prove wrong but every week they design a defensive approach and roles tailored to the upcoming offence.

Not that difficult to understand.

7. juza76

juza76 Registered

Is difficult to understand when those defensive approaches are not backed up by the results

8. QuebecCard

QuebecCard Registered

Good points.... but I'd find a defining term other than 'fiasco' for Simmons' use in season one.

P.S. If currently unsigned free agent DeVondre Campbell had played as well in the second half of last season as the first, he wouldn't be unsigned.

9. juza76

juza76 Registered

He has been good just in very few games (2)then he was a no factor
    Couple of good coverages made him look like a solid starter, he wasn't

10. Chopper0080

Chopper0080 2021 - Prove It

When you take a player whose calling card was versatility in college and then stick him in a defined role where technique and being able to diagnose are more important than athleticism and reacting, and then you aren't patient with his mistakes and learning curve, to me that is a fiasco. Vance not being able to find a role for 6'4 239lbs that ran 4.3 is a fiasco IMO.

It would be like not understanding how to make Calvin Johnson work at WR because they didn't throw the ball that much at Georgia Tech and he was not super-refined. It shouldn't be tough to find a role initially to help the player be successful and then expand on it. Instead we put him in vs a HC whose offense is designed to be tricky even for vets and then yanked him immediately after he is tricked.

Dayman, Nate, Ouchie-Z-Clown and 4 others like this.
  11. QuebecCard

QuebecCard Registered

Calvin Johnson had 10 starts in his first year (48/756) 4tds

Year two: (78/1331) 12 Tds

Johnson was eased into his role.

Isaiah Simmons had 7 starts (54 tackles (43/11) 4 TFL, 3 QB hits, 1 INT.

Let's see how our guy adjusts after the so-called fiasco of year one.

12. NashDishesDimes

NashDishesDimes Registered

this.

mjb21aztd likes this.
  13. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

It’s truly amazing that other players on other teams at the same position didn’t have the same disadvantages as Simmons. Oh wait, they did. And they played. I’m a big believer in Simmons, but either his handling or the mental aspect of his game was a mess last year. Either way, he produced way below what was expected of him. I hope for a bust out season this year.

14. BritCard

BritCard Registered

I must admit I don't like the "he didn't have a pre season" excuse.

Justin Herbert didn't have a pre season either. Yet he was thrown into starting Game 3 in the hardest position in football in a completely different scheme and played lights out all year. Lot's of rookies didn't have pre season's and played well. Vance was the issue.

15. Dan H

Dan H Registered User

I think he'll be starting. When the owner and the GM go on the record to say what the lineup will be, that's a message to your defensive coordinator.

daves, Pda4976 and gimpy like this.