Hey DBAcks ........ Please Get Rid of the Framing Box on TV

Sun Devil Mania

Veteran
Reaction score
This has become increasingly obnoxious to have to watch every single pitch on TV with a strike zone box around the catcher. To me it's like having an obstructed view from the comforts of your home. The only time that box should be used, is after the pitch is made. Portraying it after the live pitch, serves the purpose of showing where it falls in regards to the strike zone!

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
This has become increasingly obnoxious to have to watch every single pitch on TV with a strike zone box around the catcher. To me it's like having an obstructed view from the comforts of your home. The only time that box should be used, is after the pitch is made. Portraying it after the live pitch, serves the purpose of showing where it falls in regards to the strike zone!
I disagree with your reaction. It is showing us how many ball/strike calls the umpires miss with their "individual interpretations".

I see it as paving the way to every called pitch being flashed on a screen on the outfield scoreboards for the home plate umpire to look at and call out/signal to the players and audience.

The sooner, the better. As bad as it has gotten, it isn't fair to pitchers or batters to not use this technology.

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Is it a Diamondbacks thing or a Fox Sports thing?

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Is it a Diamondbacks thing or a Fox Sports thing?
I think it is a Fox Sports thing across the country. It might have even started with the networks' Game of the Week telecasts.

Steve, BB (and I) have been very vocal in favor of it. :)

Last edited:

Off The Wall

Reaction score
I love it! Yes, it should absolutely be used by home plate umpires as a tool to improve accuracy.

There is no need for the thing to be public.

Not using the tool is as stupid as trying to ump the strike zone without having a size specified home plate.

The computer aid should just be considered another tool the umps use to call the strike zone, and extension of home plate with vertical guidance thrown in. It doesn't replace home plate umpires, their duties are myriad.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I disagree with your reaction. It is showing us how many ball/strike calls the umpires miss with their "individual interpretations".

I see it as paving the way to every called pitch being flashed on a screen on the outfield scoreboards for the home plate umpire to look at and call out/signal to the players and audience.

The sooner, the better. As bad as it has gotten, it isn't fair to pitchers or batters to not use this technology.

Agree, I like it. To each their own. :cheers:

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score

I like it for this same reason. I hope they continue using it.

Brian

PANEM ET CIRCENSES
Reaction score

I could not agree more. I hate that thing. Much more enjoyable to watch games with that gone.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave