Heroes and Goats (Abbreviated)

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by kerouac9, Oct 12, 2020.

1. Chopper0080

Chopper0080 Skeptical

I love this..the argument has now morphed to not consider rookies or near rookies. Do we offset those by considering players who are near retired and/or injured? If you have to move the goal posts this much to try and make your argument, it probably means the argument is a stretch.

Bolles...gets his 5th year option declined, the Broncos get their starting QB injured and their backup beat up against the Jets, and you are out here saying he is the same as The Captain who got an extension, and kept his QB clean against that same Jets defense. You are really reaching.

2. BritCard

BritCard Registered

Your using several rookies and first year starters to prop up his position and I'm the one moving the goalposts?

Ok, let's make it easy.

He's a bottom 5 vet left tackle in the league. Vet being anyone with more than 2 years starting in this definition.

Is he better than our previous garbage? Yes
    Can you reply on him against the league best rushers? No
    Does he often make some mind boggling whiffs? Yup
    Is he replaceable? Absolutely.

But were stuck with him now, for at least 3 more years.

3. TheCardFan

TheCardFan Things have changed.

Here is your wonderful LT vs a rookie. I would take any of the top 4 first round LT's vs Humphries and his salary.

4. DVontel

DVontel Registered

lol Hump is damn near one of the least of our problems

The fact he’s still getting talked about heavy like this is hilarious

5. WisconsinCard

WisconsinCard Herfin BIg Time Contributor

If you're expecting perfection, you're going to have to go watch women's gymnastics...o_O

6. BritCard

BritCard Registered

I expect not being put on your face by a 2nd round rookie playing his 40th snap in the league

7. WisconsinCard

It happens to everyone at some point. As the old saying goes, they get paid to play too. I can pick out one play in a season of an all pro LT where he looks like a buffoon. It looks to me he miss stepped and trip over his own feet in that clip anyway. Keep looking you'll find more. Hump is not a problem some are trying to make it.

8. BritCard

BritCard Registered

He's not necessarily a problem but this O line can never be great while the most important member of it is a bottom 3rd player. No matter what we do elsewhere. It's that simple.

Our O line has been trash for, well ever. I while ago I checked PFF ranking since they started in 2006. Whatever you think of PFF their O line ranking are usually pretty spot on.

They have us outside the bottom 10 twice in that time if I recall. And in the past 5 years we have been bottom two 5 times.

We have battered wife syndrome. We think because they aren't drinking so much and only whoop us once every 3 days they are a lot better.

Let's see on Monday. Smith has one of the best sack and pressure rates in the league. If we see a bunch of quick passes against the worst deep defense in the league it's because they don't trust the O line.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020 at 9:25 AM
  9. WisconsinCard

You think hes bottom third, I do not. He's getting better every year, so time will tell.

CardsSunsDbacks likes this.
  10. AZfaninMN

AZfaninMN Registered

You like PFF, but won’t acknowledge that hump was the highest rated offensive player last week vs the jets. You say he’s a bottom 3rd LT, then name the 24 better than him? If you really want to convince us of your argument then you need more than 1 play of the 337 we’ve ran this year.

11. BritCard

BritCard Registered

If Hump could play the garbage jets pass rush each week I'm sure he'd grade out great most of the time.

Everyone except Cam Robinson, Sam Levi and Donavan Smith. Just behind Bolles, Reiff. Excluding rookies or first year starters.

Kolton Miller would be in there but he's really improved this year. No sacks, handled Frank Clark last week. So not sure where he sits yet.

I don't want to go over this forever. Its just my opinion. You have yours.

12. cardncubfan

cardncubfan H

Maybe Mitch wasn't so bad after all. :rolleyes:

MrYeahbut likes this.
  13. BritCard

BritCard Registered

Look. I gave my opinion. If others want to question it and argue the point then that's their perogative and I'm going to answer them.

That's why it's called a discussion forum.

14. AZfaninMN

AZfaninMN Registered

Behind Bolles and Reiff?!?!? Have you watched these guys play or just going off PFF? Riley Reiff is a laughing stock here in MN according to everyone here in the state. He was so bad at LT that they were going to move him to guard and play a guy who hasn’t played LT since high school to replace him. Luckily for him he plays on the worst Oline in football so he finds himself back at LT.

You can’t exclude first year starters or rookies! If they were better, they’d be higher than him in your rankings. Quinton Nelson was All-Pro his first year, but that doesn’t count because he was a Rookie and we can’t compare them to vets.

Hump is only 26 and I think it takes a while to be great at the tackle position. For example Andrew Whitworth didn’t make a pro bowl until he was 31 and now at the age of 38 is considered one of the best playing.

Krangthebrain likes this.
  15. BritCard

BritCard Registered

Not sure what Hump might do in several years matters now. Especially with his knees.

And yes, Reiff had several years better than Hump has ever had. I don't think you realise how other fans see Hump round the league. Ain't nobody saying "Damn DJ Humphries gonna be tough on Sunday".

I'm done with this now. It's tiresome.