Herm will be Back in 2022

OP
OP
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Herm Edwards was on Arizona Sports radio this morning. As always he sends a positive message.

Eventually he thinks there will need to be a cap on the transfer portal although he used it to help build the current team. He compares the portal to free agency.

Here is a link to the podcast:

Herm's a class act. Bickley writes an article referring to him as a "doddering old fool", and Herm does the interview with him with no ill-will whatsoever.

Good move to get out there with some positive PR. Herm paints the portal as a "free agency" type deal where ASU was able to bring in some solid players that can step in and help next year big time. Next year will not be "terrible". I am expecting a similar record to last year.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Herm's a class act. Bickley writes an article referring to him as a "doddering old fool", and Herm does the interview with him with no ill-will whatsoever.

Good move to get out there with some positive PR. Herm paints the portal as a "free agency" type deal where ASU was able to bring in some solid players that can step in and help next year big time. Next year will not be "terrible". I am expecting a similar record to last year.

There is a reason I don't read Dan Bickley.

I'm glad Herm Edwards handled the interview with class no matter the eventual outcome of the NCAA investigation.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
You may not like Bickley, but he's at least honest about the reality.

Everyone talks about how classy Herm is, and he seems to be a nice guy, but he's totally destroyed our football program.

Herm is nice in the sense that he doesn't hold anyone accountable and wants to be everyone's friend. That's not really being nice - it's enabling bad behavior.

From his flagrant breaking of rules to his incompetence as a coach and mentor, our program will be digging out from the hole Herm created for many years.

Any real program would have fired Herm to the moon based on both the investigation and his lack of performance.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score

Herm's a good dude but I think the game has passed him by and it's time for him to retire. IF ASU wants any hope of being legitimate, it needs a young coach with energy (i.e. young Todd Graham)

OP
OP
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Everyone talks about how classy Herm is, and he seems to be a nice guy, but he's totally destroyed our football program.

Herm is nice in the sense that he doesn't hold anyone accountable and wants to be everyone's friend. That's not really being nice - it's enabling bad behavior.

From his flagrant breaking of rules to his incompetence as a coach and mentor, our program will be digging out from the hole Herm created for many years.

Any real program would have fired Herm to the moon based on both the investigation and his lack of performance.

I think that you are overstating your case, but that is fine.

I actually like Bickley, but I don't like it when journalists do hit jobs with personal attacks. Its very unprofessional. Call out the mistakes, bad coaching, etc., but let's leave the name calling out of it.

OP
OP
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Herm's a good dude but I think the game has passed him by and it's time for him to retire. IF ASU wants any hope of being legitimate, it needs a young coach with energy (i.e. young Todd Graham)

What are you basing your "energy" comments on? Herm is older than a lot of coaches, but he is actually a high energy person. He is regularly in the weight room working out before the players.

I will spare you my tirade against ageism since I know you are a U of A fan poking fun at our team. But be sure to stay out of the HR field with those kinds of comments.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I prefer my news straight. I can form my own opinions.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'd never credit that man with being "honest". I've never cared for him but he dropped even lower in my esteem when he thought the Jalen Rose comment was going to blow up so he jumped on the bandwagon and claimed to have heard the same thing from other sources. Did anyone hear him backtrack or admit he was wrong when Jalen's camp was forced to admit the Rose comment was pure fantasy?

I also disagree with the idea that they'll be digging out of a hole Herm created for many years. When is the last time this football program wasn't buried in a deep hole? It looks to me like we'll be in about the same shape after him as before him. Granted, I'm no more than a casual football fan anymore but that's how it looks from my couch.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
What are you basing your "energy" comments on? Herm is older than a lot of coaches, but he is actually a high energy person. He is regularly in the weight room working out before the players.

I will spare you my tirade against ageism since I know you are a U of A fan poking fun at our team. But be sure to stay out of the HR field with those kinds of comments.

Im really not; and if it sounds like I am, I apologize.

Having said that, I see the value of having a coach with loads of energy in Jedd Fisch. Arizona is a dead program and he's bringing us hope, which is something we havent had in 8 years. Hell, we're gonna get a commitment from a 4* QB tonight. How does a one-win team accomplish that?

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I'd never credit that man with being "honest".
He's certainly much more willing to speak the truth than most media members. I'm not sure how much you listen to him, but he's certainly more frank than your rank and file.

I also disagree with the idea that they'll be digging out of a hole Herm created for many years.
Ok - how long do you think it'll be before ASU is even slightly relevant on the national landscape, 3-4 years? You don't consider that a hole?

When is the last time this football program wasn't buried in a deep hole?
ASU had a golden opportunity with the LA schools down to make some serious inroads in Southern California. The stars were aligning for ASU to pick up it's best recruiting class yet, at the same time the football team was poised to take a veteran group and win a down south.

If you don't see the progression of this period under Herm as a trainwreck in progress, I don't think you're paying enough attention.

It looks to me like we'll be in about the same shape after him as before him. Granted, I'm no more than a casual football fan anymore but that's how it looks from my couch.
Graham had lost momentum, but you underestimate the fallout of multiple bad recruiting classes. That will rear it's ugly head soon enough, and the portal sure as hell won't save us.

ASU football is in as bad a spot as it's ever been, and the fallout from the Herm era has only just begun.

OP
OP
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Im really not; and if it sounds like I am, I apologize.

Having said that, I see the value of having a coach with loads of energy in Jedd Fisch. Arizona is a dead program and he's bringing us hope, which is something we havent had in 8 years. Hell, we're gonna get a commitment from a 4* QB tonight. How does a one-win team accomplish that?
Our new Quarterback is also a 4 star.
How does a program as horrible as many on this board suggest it is pull that off?

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Our new Quarterback is also a 4 star.
How does a program as horrible as many on this board suggest it is pull that off?
They turned down Rattler because Jayden told Herm he was coming back. Then Jayden bailed on him anyway!

If you think Paul Tyson is a savior, you're going to be really disappointed. You really underestimate the level of dysfunction in the program right now. If the video of the players trashing Daniels locker didn't show that, I'm not sure what will.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NAU opens the season at Arizona State. Maybe the Jacks can beat the Sun Devils like they did the Wildcats ;)

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
:lmao:

I love the optimism man.
You clearly find this situation much more amusing than me. Herm and crew had a golden opportunity to make some noise, and instead we were stuck with the crap of last season and an investigation hanging over our heads.

Hilarious tho!

OP
OP
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You clearly find this situation much more amusing than me. Herm and crew had a golden opportunity to make some noise, and instead we were stuck with the crap of last season and an investigation hanging over our heads.

Hilarious tho!

My "big laugh" was directed at Blake Barnett comment, sorry that wasn't clear.

I don't think the overall situation is funny. I share a lot of the same sentiments. But we still ended up with a half decent record last year, though far less than expectations. And I really like a lot of the transfer portal guys that we brought in. Herm may be out the door when the NCAA gets done with its work, who knows, but there are games to be played next year and I am looking forward to it, whoever the coach is.

I am interested to see what the new offensive schemes are going to look like and how the coaching staff changes will impact next year. As much as I liked Daniels, I think he was distracted last year due to all the stuff with his mom and was part of the problem last year. Arguably, his regression had a bigger impact on our season than the other stuff. We get a fresh start with a new QB and new OC so it will be interesting watch it all play out.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think we are going to hit absolute rock bottom the season after this won. Worst record in the PAC 10. And, it may last a while.

How in the hell Herm is still head coach, after this complete fiasco/disaster is beyond me. Yeah, he probably is a really good coach. But you have to be more than that. Sometimes a head coach needs to be an *******. You can't let discipline completely go off the rails. And, that is what has happened and I see no reason to be optimistic that it will be fixed for next season. These transfers came here for game time and stats. That selfish attitude is a problem. It will cost us games.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
My "big laugh" was directed at Blake Barnett comment, sorry that wasn't clear.
No worries, all good.
But we still ended up with a half decent record last year, though far less than expectations.
I don't understand how last year can be looked at as anything other than a failure. Some people found comfort in the Cardinals season, and I'm just as mystified.
And I really like a lot of the transfer portal guys that we brought in.
Out of curiousity, who? I see the kid from Miami who looks ok, but the transfer portal has done a hell of a lot more harm for us than good.
Herm may be out the door when the NCAA gets done with its work
This outcome is almost assuredly coming, which is why everyone who can is jumping ship.
I am interested to see what the new offensive schemes are going to look like and how the coaching staff changes will impact next year. As much as I liked Daniels, I think he was distracted last year due to all the stuff with his mom and was part of the problem last year. Arguably, his regression had a bigger impact on our season than the other stuff. We get a fresh start with a new QB and new OC so it will be interesting watch it all play out.
I appreciate your optimism. I can't muster the same enthusiasm for a team that is likely going to finish near the bottom of the Pac, but maybe I'll be surprised.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Herm Edwards on departed ASU coaches: ‘You have to trust’ when delegating

Can we get rid of this guy already? Sounds like he is deflecting the blame to his underlings, those "he trusted when he was delegating..."

OP
OP
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Can we get rid of this guy already? Sounds like he is deflecting the blame to his underlings, those "he trusted when he was delegating..."

Herm is not blameless, pretty sure he was aware of some of what was going on from what I have read, we will find out more I am sure.

But AP who headed up the recruiting effort was a rule violator on steroids. Its the flip side of the same competitive nature and passion that was such a big plus. The downside was he pushed too hard, ignored the COVID restrictions (which I am pretty sure the other major programs were doing too) and made a lot of enemies in the program which came back to bite him and our program. So yes, Herm is ultimately responsible for the mess, but overly delegating and entrusting AP, and perhaps others, with too much free reign was a big part of the problem too.

OP
OP
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No worries, all good.

I don't understand how last year can be looked at as anything other than a failure. Some people found comfort in the Cardinals season, and I'm just as mystified.

Out of curiousity, who? I see the kid from Miami who looks ok, but the transfer portal has done a hell of a lot more harm for us than good.

This outcome is almost assuredly coming, which is why everyone who can is jumping ship.

I appreciate your optimism. I can't muster the same enthusiasm for a team that is likely going to finish near the bottom of the Pac, but maybe I'll be surprised.

I know you don't want to hear about Tyson, but I expect that he will be very solid and has already been winning over his teammates.

There are several newcomers here that look promising, https://www.si.com/college/arizonas...na-state-transfer-portal-additions-sun-devils

And we have some solid players returning next year as well, especially on the D side. Losing Daniels to the portal may be as one of the other posters here called it, "addition by subtraction".

I have addressed this here before, but at this level I don't think a season is a disaster if you don't win the national title or the Pac12. It is very disappointing that ASU didn't achieve its goals and didn't play up to expectations. But an 8 win season wasn't a complete disaster under the circumstances.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

He just flat spells out "lack of institutional control" in this interview. Easiest NCAA investigation ever.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know you don't want to hear about Tyson, but I expect that he will be very solid and has already been winning over his teammates.

There are several newcomers here that look promising, https://www.si.com/college/arizonas...na-state-transfer-portal-additions-sun-devils

And we have some solid players returning next year as well, especially on the D side. Losing Daniels to the portal may be as one of the other posters here called it, "addition by subtraction".

I have addressed this here before, but at this level I don't think a season is a disaster if you don't win the national title or the Pac12. It is very disappointing that ASU didn't achieve its goals and didn't play up to expectations. But an 8 win season wasn't a complete disaster under the circumstances.
The season in terms of wins was the same old mediocre ASU that too many people are content with. The actual details of the season? One of the ugliest home losses I can ever remember against a mediocre team and a lot of ugly looking football.

The disaster was not last season. The disaster is coming. Maybe as soon as this season. I believe for sure in 2024. By disaster I mean 0 to 3 wins.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A storm is coming no doubt but I don't think handwringing serves a purpose.

If we had the power to make changes, it would have already been done.

The ASU athletics department has to do their job including those who oversee it.