Herm will be Back in 2022

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The fact is Herm stinks as a coach. ASU could hire literally just about anybody and get essentially the same results they have gotten with Herm. He has done pretty much the same as Graham, Erickson, and Koetter... all of whom were acknowledged underachievers here. The only difference being they didn't have some old pal as the AD covering for them.
I think you've blacked out some of the memories since Cooper left. Marmie went 22-31-1.

Bruce Snyder had a decent winning percentage thanks to back to back years where we went 20-4 but he was a sleep inducing 38-41 over the other 7 seasons.

Dirk went 40-34 but we all know it wasn't just our record that got him fired.

Todd Graham started out great going 28-12 but closed out his ASU career with 3 seasons where he went 18-20.

Ignoring the 2-2 Covid season, Herm is 23-15 over his 3 years. That's not exactly impressive and the infractions detract from his legacy but 8 wins per season still shines compared to what we've seen the past three plus decades.

OP
OP
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The fact is Herm stinks as a coach. ASU could hire literally just about anybody and get essentially the same results they have gotten with Herm. He has done pretty much the same as Graham, Erickson, and Koetter... all of whom were acknowledged underachievers here. The only difference being they didn't have some old pal as the AD covering for them.

I appreciate the sentiment, but you are overstating your case. The Pac12 is full of mediocre and floundering programs and coaching turnover. There's at least a half dozen HC's out there in the PAC12 alone that would not fare any better at ASU.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
This team is going nowhere fast with Herm at the helm. Our only real chance was for AP and the boys to recruit, and for this staff to take advantage of a down Pac. They failed miserably, and now there is no direction, and we're stuck with Herm, a guy who the game has passed, and a HC who is lacking the passion necessary to lead a program.

Yay!

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This team is going nowhere fast with Herm at the helm. Our only real chance was for AP and the boys to recruit, and for this staff to take advantage of a down Pac. They failed miserably, and now there is no direction, and we're stuck with Herm, a guy who the game has passed, and a HC who is lacking the passion necessary to lead a program.

Yay!

If ASU had an opportunity to replace Herm with a better coach I would support it.

What I think happened this last season (besides injury and the NCAA investigation) is ASU lost several coaches due to suspension. That had to impact play on the field.

OP
OP
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Yay! :sarcasm:

FIFY

I know that all sports teams need to shoot for the championship. That is what I want for ASU, Championship, Pac 12 Title, Rose Bowl, Pac 12 South championship, etc. But there is also part of me what wonders how realistic that is every year, competing with over 120 other schools, all the injuries that had key players out in the big games this year, coaching suspensions, and the fact that these players are just "kids". I don't know, the stars really didn't line up for us this year, we are probably pretty fortunate to finish 8-4.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
If ASU had an opportunity to replace Herm with a better coach I would support it.
Me too, considering the circumstances, we'd probably be looking at a Danny Gonzales type hire looking for significant guarantees. I'd rather keep Herm around for that.

What I think happened this last season (besides injury and the NCAA investigation) is ASU lost several coaches due to suspension. That had to impact play on the field.
People can make whatever excuses they want, this is an undisciplined team that never learned details.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Me too, considering the circumstances, we'd probably be looking at a Danny Gonzales type hire looking for significant guarantees. I'd rather keep Herm around for that.

People can make whatever excuses they want, this is an undisciplined team that never learned details.

I think losing several coaches had to impact the play on the field although a more disciplinary type coach would have cleaned up a lot of the penalties.

There are no excuses for that many flags.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score

This.

I don't expect ASU to be in the playoffs every year (or even any year, really), but I do think it's reasonable to expect an upward trend of performance on the field if the coaching staff is even mildly competent, instead of the massive backslide of fundamentals we have seen under Herm.

And as for Herm's record so far vs. his predecessors, well we only have the half story on that. Most of the ones AZStevenCal referenced did very well immediately after inheriting the prior regime's upper level classes, and then gradually trended downward once their own indolence permeated the program. I am afraid that is the same cycle we are seeing with Herm. The idea was allegedly he was going to be here for a couple/three years to set a template for success and a successful transition to another coach. Now it's starting to look like he's just another guy coasting and collecting paychecks until he hits retirement... not much unlike Mr. Erickson of not so long ago.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This.

I don't expect ASU to be in the playoffs every year (or even any year, really), but I do think it's reasonable to expect an upward trend of performance on the field if the coaching staff is even mildly competent, instead of the massive backslide of fundamentals we have seen under Herm.

And as for Herm's record so far vs. his predecessors, well we only have the half story on that. Most of the ones AZStevenCal referenced did very well immediately after inheriting the prior regime's upper level classes, and then gradually trended downward once their own indolence permeated the program. I am afraid that is the same cycle we are seeing with Herm. The idea was allegedly he was going to be here for a couple/three years to set a template for success and a successful transition to another coach. Now it's starting to look like he's just another guy coasting and collecting paychecks until he hits retirement... not much unlike Mr. Erickson of not so long ago.

Herm doesn't strike me as someone who is in it for the money. He could be doing sports on television if he wanted.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Herm doesn't strike me as someone who is in it for the money. He could be doing sports on television if he wanted.
But was anyone paying him $4 million per year to be on TV? I am not guessing so.

OP
OP
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
...And so will Lole... this is great news:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wasn't quite sure where to put this. Chase Lucas has accepted an invitation to play in the 2022 East-West Shrine Bowl.

OP
OP
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
For what it's worth, we played Utah tougher than Oregon did. They got spanked again by Utah last night.

Great season for the Utes. Had Rising started from game 1, they'd probably be in the plàyoff.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
It appears Jayden Daniels is coming back for senior season.

Maybe 2nd year in the offense will help, but Jayden needs some serious work to progress as a passer. Too many missed throws and his mechanics are garbage.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe 2nd year in the offense will help, but Jayden needs some serious work to progress as a passer. Too many missed throws and his mechanics are garbage.

Jayden has regressed as a quarterback. Hopefully with some good coaching and further body development he can improve.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Jayden has regressed as a quarterback. Hopefully with some good coaching and further body development he can improve.
It would be one thing if it was scheme thing holding him back but his throwing was just awful most of this year and that has little to do with scheme

OP
OP
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
All the coaching stuff in the Pac 12 is CRAZY

Herm coming back...

Riley to USC... (which lost to ASU.., sorry, just had to work that in...)

Washington's coach "hits" a player on the facemask, gets fired, UW hires new coach...from Fresno State...

UCLA, Chip stays...(after losing to ASU...)

Washington State's coach doesn't get vaccinated, and gets fired...

And now.... Cristobal bolts Oregon for Miami..... and Duck fans are talking like next year their team will be decimated... https://www.addictedtoquack.com/2021/12/6/22820570/report-the-cristobal-era-is-over-mario-to-miami

Its funny how fans seem to lose all perspective and think the sky is falling, the world is coming to an end for their team, etc. I know, I am one of them. But things seem to always level out, and basically stay the same.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Herm going to have to get another OC. Hill could be bolting to Auburn but also speculated to be candidate for Nebraska OC job.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Herm going to have to get another OC. Hill could be bolting to Auburn but also speculated to be candidate for Nebraska OC job.
Even worse, he said he'll leave, then loses his new job, and ASU is in such a pitiful situation they have to take him back.

The clown show up top these days is incredible.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will put the ASU players on the All PAC-12 team here.

I'd like to see the Cardinals draft Rachaad White or any Sun Devil really.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I will put the ASU players on the All PAC-12 team here.

I'd like to see the Cardinals draft Rachaad White or any Sun Devil really.

No QB on that list. Says it all