Herm will be Back in 2022

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Chris Peterson isn't coming back, and especially not to ASU. Washington was his dream job and he works in their athletic department now.

Gary Patterson is a bit of a retread now. ASU needs to find a young up and comer.
Patterson could be an adequate bridge option. I doubt we'll get any better at this point.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Patterson could be an adequate bridge option. I doubt we'll get any better at this point.
I wouldn't be opposed to Patterson.

My opinion on Herm is that I think he is an ok manager, but I don't think he has picked the right OC/DC to run the team. Daniels lack of development is absolutely stunning. The kid looks about the same as he did as a freshman. That's on the position coaches and the offensive coordinator.

Patterson was able to consistently win at a program that wasn't a winner before he got there. He had a number of high round NFL draft picks, consistently more than ASU has had. I doubt that TCU would have a recruiting edge over ASU, but you never know.

ASU fans (myself included) have always had this false view that ASU is more desirable than it really is. Go to Washington's campus or UCLA's campus and you quickly realize that ASU isn't better than either of those two. USC might be in the middle of the ghetto, but you have quick access to downtown LA, Silverlake/Echo Park/Los Feliz, and Hollywood. ASU has Mill Ave and Scottsdale and 150 degree heat. No thank you.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
ASU fans (myself included) have always had this false view that ASU is more desirable than it really is. Go to Washington's campus or UCLA's campus and you quickly realize that ASU isn't better than either of those two. USC might be in the middle of the ghetto, but you have quick access to downtown LA, Silverlake/Echo Park/Los Feliz, and Hollywood. ASU has Mill Ave and Scottsdale and 150 degree heat. No thank you.
I'd agree we can't go head to head in terms of facilities with UCLA or Washington, but as seen, it's only worked for one of the two.

ASU had an opportunity to sell the pro model, but between recruiting stupidity and Herm not being a very good coach, it was and will never work.
I think the right coach/staff can win here, but with the PAC being down as it is, it's quite disappointing that we're not advantage. It's funny, if you give Todd Graham this roster, you're probably looking at a better season.

OP
OP
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My bad, I misread the article which implied there was only an option to bring him back next year. You are correct sir, in January of 2020 (while the alleged recruiting violations were going on ????), he was extended though 2024. https://thesundevils.com/news/2020/...coach-herm-edwards-contract-through-2024.aspx

I much preferred the other version.

I don't see how Herm survives this unless ASU wants to save money. IMO, the athletic director needs to go as well. That's would likely require more money.

ASU is already invested in the pro model with the baseball team.

OP
OP
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I much preferred the other version.

I don't see how Herm survives this unless ASU wants to save money. IMO, the athletic director needs to go as well. That's would likely require more money.

ASU is already invested in the pro model with the baseball team.

I really like the pro model in theory, and I don't think that includes violating NCAA rules, allegedly, in the process. In a way, I feel bad in calling for Herm's ouster, but when the team looks like it has given up and the coaching isn't working, etc., don't really see another answer here. We don't have all the facts on the recruiting stuff yet, but I think that we are seeing its impact.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A couple of issues have held ASU back during the Edwards tenure:

A) Herm can recruit well enough because he's a personable guy. The problems are due to the fact that he can't coach a lick, and his philosophy is stuck in the mud, low risk, low reward football. That style hasn't worked in decades.

B) With Herm being gifted the job by his buddy the AD, there was a sense of complacency instilled from the beginning with Herm's hiring. It never looked like a merit or qualification based hire, but rather a particularly blatant case of crony-ism. That seemed like a setup for failure from the get go, whatever else anyone might have thought of Herm. The longer he is allowed to slide on mediocre results, the worse that impression becomes.

C) There is a long standing general culture of non-accountability and mediocrity that permeates the football program right down to the players. That has been going on at ASU before the current athletic department, actually for decades, but the current AD personnel (and administration) certainly seems to be quite comfortable with it.
Low risk football still works. There are plenty of examples this year alone that proves that…although we have to quantify the definition of low risk.

Cronyism is college football coaching in a nutshell. I don’t think this argument holds much water. Even the lack of experience issue, while perhaps more valid, still rings a bit hollow to me.

What we have to accept is this is what ASU really is. Herm has taken the right back to where they typically inhabit. 7-9 wins, a crappy bowl in El Paso/Vegas/New Mexico. Missed opportunities for that elusive conference championship run. This is who they are.

Changes are coming. The next administration will settle into the same thing as previous teams. 7-9 wins. At what point do we realize that?

OP
OP
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Edited 11/8/2021 Post USC

After what happened at Utah, followed by the meltdown v. WSU, it was pretty clear that the team's performance was an embarrassment to all ASU fans and alumni.

The players looked poorly coached, undisciplined, and seemed to have given up on their coaches, have stopped listening etc right when we were in the hunt.

Not sure what was going on in the locker room, but something was really really out of whack. You could see it at Utah, and again with WSU. The team had everything to play for but just didn't seem to care.

After WSU, my thought was that if you fire Herm now, promote Zac Hill as interim HC, perhaps the players will dial in and maybe win a couple games. Then clean house in the off-season.

After USC, many of the problems such as turnovers, penalties, etc. are persisting. But I don't see the players giving up on their season or their team. We should be able to pick up a couple of wins with this favorable schedule and get a bowl game in. That is better than things looked before.

And many other teams in the PAC12 are also facing challenges with COVID, losing coaches and assistants, see Washington, Oregon State, Cal. Things are nice and messy in the PAC12.

With the suspensions of 3 assistant coaches due to the investigation, our coaching staff has been shorthanded and it shows on the field.

I think Herm will finish off the year and then it could go one of two ways. If Herm is not involved in the recruiting violations, I think Ray Anderson will let him finish off his contract and fortify his coaching staff for next season The assistants participating in the violations will be fired. Especially if next year is a down year, then ASU will be looking to make a transition.

On the other hand, if Herm was involved, then the transition will start at the end of this season.

Just my updated thoughts after USC, we really don't know what is going to happen or when. But it is good seeing the team showing some passion and picking up the USC win.

I updated my post/thread title after watching the USC highlights and listening to the post game rant by Chase Lucas. :mrgreen:

OP
OP
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It is interesting how the situation is evolving.

ASU is now sitting at 7-3, despite all the problems, some of which appear to be coaching related.

Washington has now fired Jimmy Lake. That makes 3 Pac 12 teams that will be looking to fill head coaching spots (USC, WSU, WA) which makes a potential coaching search even more difficult.

So I am admittedly waffling on this stuff. Pass the syrup.

Unless Herm resigns to help shelter the team against sanctions arising out of the alleged recruiting violations....

I am thinking Herm will be back next year. It looks like the season should turn out on the upswing, knock on wood.

Not meeting expectations, but still getting a winning 7+ games and getting a bowl game is not a solid basis for firing someone, despite the many problems that need to be corrected that get us all upset. Of course, the NCAA stuff could change this.

If Herm and the current staff (plus replacing the suspended ones) does come back next year, ASU would avoid paying out funds for another coach who is not actually coaching, and plan out for a possible replacement when Herm's contract expires. It would also give Jayden Daniels one more year in the current offense rather than switching things up again on him.

Barring a complete meltdown, which could happen due to the NCAA investigation, or if things fall apart on the field, prior to 2025 that could result in his ouster, if his contract expires without ASU reaching the lofty goals that were set when he was hired, it would be expected obviously that his contract would not be renewed.

With so many PAC12 schools looking for coaches, this may put us in a better position down the road, though the fanbase will not be happy with mediocre seasons and lower tier bowl games.

Thoughts?

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
I think Herm has done as good as anyone can be expected to do in this era. We always want more, I know I do to. But I always say and write that we are ASU, a team in the bloody desert, with old facilities, and in a state with the stigma of the old west, as well as remnants of racism to some.

Our potential of acquiring good players is pretty much limited to tier 3 and below. We can get athletic kids, some of which rise up into the quality of a tier 4 players after some growth and coaching. And to win 8 games a year and make any bowl game is not bad for who we are. It is mediocre at worst, and mediocre gets old and boring fast.

The only way we can, or ever, do better is when we have a super QB, which we surely haven't had the last 3 years. I am surprised that Herm hasn't been able to recruit one with visions of an NFL career. I never expected our defense to get better due to the lack of football intelligence of players below tier 4. Our DBs prove that yearly. But offensively, I thought some super QBs would want to learn and play for Herm.

Change isn't bad, and Herm has had a chance to experiment with his ideas, and did okay with it. But, like any coach that's here, he will be limited by the level of players that are left in the pool after the better known powers get theirs. It's just that simple. As long as we can regularly beat UCLA and USC, I think we have had a fairly good season.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was listening to a college football podcast yesterday and they were pretty emphatic that Herm will be gone after this season.

Given the number of jobs open, not sure it makes sense for ASU to end up with their 5th choice for the job.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Also hearing ASU currently only has 5 commutes and their class is ranked in the 90s. One of the five is a kicker.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
With several high profile head coaching gigs open, and possibly more depending on churn during upcoming hiring, ASU will be, at best, the 5th best job available:

LSU
Florida
USC
Miami

Penn St and Mississippi could open depending on hiring.

My question is can ASU make a hire that is demonstrably better than Herm at this point?

OP
OP
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
With several high profile head coaching gigs open, and possibly more depending on churn during upcoming hiring, ASU will be, at best, the 5th best job available:

LSU
Florida
USC
Miami

My question is can ASU make a hire that is demonstrably better than Herm at this point?
I think it will be tough with the investigation pending. Kinda like setting the next guy up for failure. We may be in for some lean years, hopefully not University of Arizona football bad, but it could be very bad for the next guy. Maybe we are in a stronger position to hire once we see what the NCAA damage is, I don't know.

OP
OP
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nice self serving article ripping Herm on the "Trojan Wire". Doesn't mention that we beat USC and UCLA this year.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think it will be tough with the investigation pending. Kinda like setting the next guy up for failure. We may be in for some lean years, hopefully not University of Arizona football bad, but it could be very bad for the next guy. Maybe we are in a stronger position to hire once we see what the NCAA damage is, I don't know.
It is also possible Texas opens up as well which pushes ASU down another peg.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nice self serving article ripping Herm on the "Trojan Wire". Doesn't mention that we beat USC and UCLA this year.
Interesting stat during the game Saturday about how difficult it is to play back to back road games in the Pacific NW. not an excuse but could also be a reason.

Trojan Wire should concentrate on their implosion and fall than what is going on in Tempe

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

LSU
Florida
USC
Miami

ASU is never the top gig available, so that doesn’t really matter imo.

OP
OP
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose