Herm will be Back in 2022

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Edited 11/8/2021 Post USC

Edited 11/29/2021 post UofA beat down:

Herm will be back next year

After what happened at Utah, followed by the meltdown v. WSU, it was pretty clear that the team's performance was an embarrassment to all ASU fans and alumni.

The players looked poorly coached, undisciplined, and seemed to have given up on their coaches, have stopped listening etc right when we were in the hunt.

Not sure what was going on in the locker room, but something was really really out of whack. You could see it at Utah, and again with WSU. The team had everything to play for but just didn't seem to care.

After WSU, my thought was that if you fire Herm now, promote Zac Hill as interim HC, perhaps the players will dial in and maybe win a couple games. Then clean house in the off-season.

After USC, many of the problems such as turnovers, penalties, etc. are persisting. But I don't see the players giving up on their season or their team. We should be able to pick up a couple of wins with this favorable schedule and get a bowl game in. That is better than things looked before.

And many other teams in the PAC12 are also facing challenges with COVID, losing coaches and assistants, see Washington, Oregon State, Cal. Things are nice and messy in the PAC12.

With the suspensions of 3 assistant coaches due to the investigation, our coaching staff has been shorthanded and it shows on the field.

I think Herm will finish off the year and then it could go one of two ways. If Herm is not involved in the recruiting violations, I think Ray Anderson will let him finish off his contract and fortify his coaching staff for next season The assistants participating in the violations will be fired. Especially if next year is a down year, then ASU will be looking to make a transition.

On the other hand, if Herm was involved, then the transition will start at the end of this season.

Just my updated thoughts after USC, we really don't know what is going to happen or when. But it is good seeing the team showing some passion and picking up the USC win.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Arizona State needs to bundle. Athletic Director Ray Anderson needs to go as well.

It's not just the football program but the baseball program has underperformed as well.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Herm should stick to motivational speaking as a line of work, or whatever it is that he is supposed to actually be good at. Frankly, he stinks as a coach.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
All those incoherent speeches are falling on deaf ears. The whole, "prepare you for the NFL" thing is hilarious when you consider how unprepared and undisciplined this team is. Time for a change, but doubt they find anyone better.

Raindog

Reaction score
Now that Gary Patterson is on the market, I would drop Herm in a heartbeat. Of course, probably have to get rid of Ray Anderson, too.

OP
OP
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The last 6 quarters of football are inexplicable. It looks like the team tanking on the coaches.

I think this part has a lot to do with it, pretty childish of AP but it explains the utter collapse of the defense.

"Almost as bad, defensive coordinator and recruiting coordinator Antonio Pierce apparently removed most ASU references from his social media accounts after being told he couldn’t travel to recruit during the recent off week."

Raindog

Reaction score
A couple of issues have held ASU back during the Edwards tenure:

A) Herm can recruit well enough because he's a personable guy. The problems are due to the fact that he can't coach a lick, and his philosophy is stuck in the mud, low risk, low reward football. That style hasn't worked in decades.

B) With Herm being gifted the job by his buddy the AD, there was a sense of complacency instilled from the beginning with Herm's hiring. It never looked like a merit or qualification based hire, but rather a particularly blatant case of crony-ism. That seemed like a setup for failure from the get go, whatever else anyone might have thought of Herm. The longer he is allowed to slide on mediocre results, the worse that impression becomes.

C) There is a long standing general culture of non-accountability and mediocrity that permeates the football program right down to the players. That has been going on at ASU before the current athletic department, actually for decades, but the current AD personnel (and administration) certainly seems to be quite comfortable with it.

OP
OP
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
In this age of social media and its use in recruiting and staying in contact with recruits and players, promoting the team, etc, is it odd that Antonio Pierce is all about his time at the NY Giants, and nothing about ASU on this twitter account?
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A couple of issues have held ASU back during the Edwards tenure:

A) Herm can recruit well enough because he's a personable guy. The problems are due to the fact that he can't coach a lick, and his philosophy is stuck in the mud, low risk, low reward football. That style hasn't worked in decades.

B) With Herm being gifted the job by his buddy the AD, there was a sense of complacency instilled from the beginning with Herm's hiring. It never looked like a merit or qualification based hire, but rather a particularly blatant case of crony-ism. That seemed like a setup for failure from the get go, whatever else anyone might have thought of Herm. The longer he is allowed to slide on mediocre results, the worse that impression becomes.

C) There is a long standing general culture of non-accountability and mediocrity that permeates the football program right down to the players. That has been going on at ASU before the current athletic department, actually for decades, but the current AD personnel (and administration) certainly seems to be quite comfortable with it.

Not sure about all of your points, but I agree in part. Say what you want about Todd Graham, but he was a disciplinarian and held players accountable. He was criticized for going too far in that direction, which was not fun for the players and ultimately led to his ouster.

I don't think Herm has necessarily been a horrible coach. Everything seemed to be going in the right direction. I remember how psyched I was when we beat Michigan State in Jayden Daniel's first year. Can't remember if the win over Oregon was that same year or not, but that was huge. The sky seemed to be the limit.

Then COVID hit, and if the reports are true, our staff was violating the recruiting restrictions under Herm's watch and the wheels started to come off. Major distraction for the team this year, coaching turmoil, Our stellar recruiter AP goes sideways, loyalty questions arise, players get mixed messages, distracted, etc. I would also throw in there that due to the bad rep this investigation has given us, the PAC12 refs may have started giving our guys an extra look which is never good. All of this factors into our season quickly becoming a disaster.

I love Herm, but he is the HC and he is ultimately responsible. His contract should not be renewed, the only question is when to pull the plug and start the new coaching search.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think last week sealed his fate. But who knows?! It's ASU.. :)

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In this age of social media and its use in recruiting and staying in contact with recruits and players, promoting the team, etc, is it odd that Antonio Pierce is all about his time at the NY Giants, and nothing about ASU on this twitter account?
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I believe he knows he is done. He's going to get fired.

OP
OP
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Yep. I just wonder if they are waiting to see if we become bowl eligible before pulling the plug. We are already missing 2 assistants. I guess you don't want to make things worse, but on the other hand I hope we get a good jump on the coaching search.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Agree on getting rid of both Herm and Anderson. The big issue is that with the recruiting scandal there is no class of "22. The program has been set back years and may take a new coach 3 to 4 years to be competitive.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Guys, he’s gone after this season as is the rest of the staff. You’ll get your wish

The question is RA, and word is he’s probably done as well

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Guys, he’s gone after this season as is the rest of the staff. You’ll get your wish

The question is RA, and word is he’s probably done as well
I'd love to know how you can say this with so much confidence. FWIW, I hope you're right, but from what I've heard, nothing has been decided.

OP
OP
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'd love to know how you can say this with so much confidence. FWIW, I hope you're right, but from what I've heard, nothing has been decided.

The FANS have decided. :mrgreen:

Not sure how they can have any other outcome, unless they throw AP under the bus and blame him for everything, and let Herm try to ride things out through whatever the sanction period is. Finding a good coach to jump in before we are sanctioned (assuming that happens) may be tough.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
The FANS have decided. :mrgreen:

Not sure how they can have any other outcome, unless they throw AP under the bus and blame him for everything, and let Herm try to ride things out through whatever the sanction period is. Finding a good coach to jump in before we are sanctioned (assuming that happens) may be tough.
So far, it seems like they've been doing almost nothing. Fired a couple coaches, but are trying to ride it out with the silly hope of a successful season?

Herm and the fellas have been a disaster, and we can't start building back until RA and Herm are gone. When exactly our pain will be relieved is unknown, but nothing seems definitive at this point.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Last time I checked in, the plan was for Herm to "retire" at the end of the season. I cant see a situation in which he's allowed to return, but has to replace nearly his entire coaching staff. Nor do I think he'd want to at his age.

If Crow's this all-benevolent president he promotes himself to be, he gets rid of everyone associated w/ football, including Anderson; otherwise, he's a joke.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Problem is as its always been. ASU won't be able to lure a big name coach to Tempe. Chris Peterson and Gary Patterson are out there but doubt either end up here.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Problem is as its always been. ASU won't be able to lure a big name coach to Tempe. Chris Peterson and Gary Patterson are out there but doubt either end up here.
Chris Peterson isn't coming back, and especially not to ASU. Washington was his dream job and he works in their athletic department now.

Gary Patterson is a bit of a retread now. ASU needs to find a young up and comer.

OP
OP
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Speculation on some of the other boards is that pulling AP off the recruiting trail may be some "self imposed penalties" that ASU it trying to impose to lessen the NCAA sanctions. So not sure if AP's pulling his social media is part of that instead or just sour grapes.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose