Herm will be Back in 2022

AZCB34

Reaction score
I think it will be tough with the investigation pending. Kinda like setting the next guy up for failure. We may be in for some lean years, hopefully not University of Arizona football bad, but it could be very bad for the next guy. Maybe we are in a stronger position to hire once we see what the NCAA damage is, I don't know.
It is also possible Texas opens up as well which pushes ASU down another peg.

AZCB34

Reaction score

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
With several high profile head coaching gigs open, and possibly more depending on churn during upcoming hiring, ASU will be, at best, the 5th best job available:

LSU
Florida
USC
Miami

Penn St and Mississippi could open depending on hiring.

My question is can ASU make a hire that is demonstrably better than Herm at this point?
ASU is never the top gig available, so that doesn’t really matter imo.

Absolute Zero

Reaction score

cheesebeef

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the worst 8-3 team I’ve ever seen.

Absolute Zero

Reaction score
Bad 8-4 team also.
That's one side of the coin. If you list out the adversity they had to deal with each game, like playing today without their linebackers, the car accident last week, the coaching suspensions, it's ridiculous.

They have overcome a lot of adversity to end up 8 and 4, beat USC, UCLA, and end up with the 3rd best record in the messy PAC12. But you are right, lots to fix here, passing game, penalties, etc, yet there are many positives too and 8 and 4 is better than a slew of other college teams.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If they didn't keep Herm they might not have been able to lock down their five recruits and the 93rd (scouts) and 100+ (rivals) ranked class in the nation.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score

Absolute Zero

Reaction score
Herm declaring "he's back" doesn't mean anything except he doesn't plan to leave voluntarily. If Ray Anderson gets fired (hopefully), or the NCAA cracks down, I don't think it will much matter what Mediocre Herm plans.

Well RA went into the locker room after the game and told the team that Herm will be back next year. So there is that. Under all the circumstances, I think that was the best move.

This has a lot to do with money and just riding out the investigation before changing horses. Fans want national championships, etc. But a University like ASU isn't going to fire their head coach who has beat the rival down South 4 years in a row and finished with an 8-4 record. They will let that contract play out a bit, and not jump into another situation where they would be paying one fired coach, and the new coach.

No doubt, lots to fix for next year. They need to do what they can to get this investigation wrapped up, fully cooperate, self impose sanctions, whatever it takes. They also need to fill their assistant coaching vacancies with solid hires so that the coaching doesn't suffer again next year like it so obviously did this year, especially on the offensive side of the ball. They need to bring in some solid assistants who know how to coach so that the WR's and QB play up to their potential next year, and throw the OLine in their too with all their false starts.

They are still loaded at RB for next year, we've seen Daniels play waaaaaaaaaay better than he performed this year, and there is still a lot of talent in the WR room but they have to show it next year. So I expect they will score some points next year. Defense is a big question mark next year, they will lose a lot of starters and AP may move on, so we'll see what happens. Both corners--Lucas and Jones will be gone and their backups have looked very very shaky this year. That's going to be an area of concern for sure.