Help me build an awesome gaming computer

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
No rush. Not going to do it yet. I'm at the stage where I'm assembling the list of components I want and coming up with a plan. I was browzing empty towers yerstday at Frys electronics and man they have so many cool ones.

I want to build an awesome one, but I'm not going to put in an $800 graphics card, more like a 300-400. So ya know. Upper mid range components.

I want it to have a super fast chip and TONS of RAM. When I'm batch editing photos my current setup gets painfully slow.

Anyways, what would you guys recommend?

Motherboard/Chip? (If theres something I want to splurge on, it's this, so I7, but which one?)

Power Supply?

What is liquid cooled anyways besides the obvious? Do I need it? Is it something a semi-non-expert could do?

SSD or hard drive?

Graphics card?

RAM?

Hard drives and storage I've got for days. I'll be running Windows obviously. I need to run multiple displays for work.

Thank you in advance my fellow nerds.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought a Helios Predator gaming laptop for $1,100. I like it.

I lost the link but a buddy had sent me a custom build website where you can do your build or at least research your build and also showed a lot of builds other people did. It was really cool.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Ever just think about buying one already built? I have built my computers for the last 10 years. Just finished building one a few months ago and the price of my build ended up being close to a already built one by a HP. Seems like they are getting cheaper to just buy pre-built then to do it yourself nowadays.

For example. Ibuypower has been getting alot of good reviews. This one has an I7.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07BDTTQ1M/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1526310370&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=iBUYPOWER&dpPl=1&dpID=51x+ov9

Same thing with cyberpower. All getting great reviews.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
After my last build, I decided I was just going to buy a pre-built pc from now on. It's just a hassle to build now as I feel I'm not saving all that much, if at all, nowadays.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
After my last build, I decided I was just going to buy a pre-built pc from now on. It's just a hassle to build now as I feel I'm not saving all that much, if at all, nowadays.
You can thank Bitcoin & all the other cybercurrency for making the cost of video cards skyrocket & memory costs have probably doubled too.

Bert - SSD drives are still pretty expensive for large capacity so it's more common to have a 256GB or 512GB SSD for Windows & then a larger SATA drive for storage.

If you're looking at pre-built models too, Dell occasionally has sales on it's XPS 8930 tower. Some of those have solid video cards in them like the NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1050Ti with 4GB GDDR5, NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1060 with 6GB GDDR5 or NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1070 with 8GB GDDR5 . You might even find a great deal in the Dell Outlet if you don't mind a scratch/dent on the case.

Last edited:

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The reason I don't like prebuilts is because they cheap out on components. Sure you get an I7, but they put a crappy PSU and/or mobo that has the potential to ruin some of your nice stuff.

I've always used https://pcpartpicker.com/ to pick out the parts I want and check pricing. GPU prices are still ridiculously high due to mining, but hopefully they'll come down soon.

I built my last gaming PC not long ago and I'm happy with my Ryzen 5 1600.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ever just think about buying one already built? I have built my computers for the last 10 years. Just finished building one a few months ago and the price of my build ended up being close to a already built one by a HP. Seems like they are getting cheaper to just buy pre-built then to do it yourself nowadays.

For example. Ibuypower has been getting alot of good reviews. This one has an I7.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07BDTTQ1M/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1526310370&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=iBUYPOWER&dpPl=1&dpID=51x+ov9

Same thing with cyberpower. All getting great reviews.

You can always tell the wife you need a new desktop computer. :)

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a little old school in the idea that I don't like to mix "fun" computers with work computers. IMO, it's best to build a machine specifically for work (photo editing, etc) and not use it for surfing or gaming because of the occasional sketchy nature of those communities. Yes, I know many people game and work on the same machines without issue, but to me, one takes much higher priority than the other and I couldn't have my work machine go down because of something unfortunate happening while having fun. YMMV.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm a little old school in the idea that I don't like to mix "fun" computers with work computers. IMO, it's best to build a machine specifically for work (photo editing, etc) and not use it for surfing or gaming because of the occasional sketchy nature of those communities. Yes, I know many people game and work on the same machines without issue, but to me, one takes much higher priority than the other and I couldn't have my work machine go down because of something unfortunate happening while having fun. YMMV.

I agree. That's why I have 2 desktops. One for web/work and the other for movie/gaming.

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
No rush. Not going to do it yet. I'm at the stage where I'm assembling the list of components I want and coming up with a plan. I was browzing empty towers yerstday at Frys electronics and man they have so many cool ones.

I want to build an awesome one, but I'm not going to put in an $800 graphics card, more like a 300-400. So ya know. Upper mid range components.

I want it to have a super fast chip and TONS of RAM. When I'm batch editing photos my current setup gets painfully slow.

Anyways, what would you guys recommend?

Motherboard/Chip? (If theres something I want to splurge on, it's this, so I7, but which one?)

Power Supply?

What is liquid cooled anyways besides the obvious? Do I need it? Is it something a semi-non-expert could do?

SSD or hard drive?

Graphics card?

RAM?

Hard drives and storage I've got for days. I'll be running Windows obviously. I need to run multiple displays for work.

Thank you in advance my fellow nerds.

What's your budget?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA