Heat @ Suns Saturday game thread 1-8-2022

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not throwing in the towel but I have to admit, I'm a little concerned about this team. Any team can have a bad night but the loss to Portland early in the season and then the 2nd loss to the Warriors, the big losses to Boston and the Clippers plus the Miami loss last night all showed some holes in our defense. In most of those losses we gave up easy 3 point looks and clear trips to the hoop, mostly because we were out-quicked on the perimeter.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not throwing in the towel but I have to admit, I'm a little concerned about this team. Any team can have a bad night but the loss to Portland early in the season and then the 2nd loss to the Warriors, the big losses to Boston and the Clippers plus the Miami loss last night all showed some holes in our defense. In most of those losses we gave up easy 3 point looks and clear trips to the hoop, mostly because we were out-quicked on the perimeter.

Of the games mentioned I'm most concerned about the loss to the Heat. Last night the Suns didn't have a clue to how to defend the 3-point shot which subsequently led to easy drives to the basket.

Also the Heat defense did not allow the Suns to get the ball inside. They plugged up the middle and were frequently in position to take charges. The Heat may have given the Suns a template on how to improve the team as well as a template on how to beat the Suns.

Personally I think the Suns did not adjust to the return of Crowder, Ayton and McGee not that this fixes the problem. I think Monty was caught shuffling cards last night while the Heat came in with a plan to beat the Suns. The Suns looked confused not to mention they couldn't hit shots and were beat on the boards.

Suns played around early exchanging threes with the Heat which took them out of their game. Once the genie is out of the bottle it's hard to put it back as we have seen on other occasions when the Suns were blown out. Another thing, the Heat didn't miss outside but it's their defense that worries me the most.

Monty will need to decide on a rotation. Too many players destroy the broth.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think these video interviews with Monty helps to put things in perspective but the Suns have to hit shots especially Devin Booker.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tyler Herro breaks out of a slump and looks more like the old Devin Booker than the new Devin Booker.

Herro shoots 75% from three in win last night.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If one looks at the stats, Tyler Herro and Duncan Robinson off the bench were the primary culprits but the Heat shot incredibly well. I doubt if they can shoot much better.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Tyler Herro breaks out of a slump and looks more like the old Devin Booker than the new Devin Booker.

Herro shoots 75% from three in win last night.

I don't know what to make of him.

I suspect he that, if not for a very good system and coaching staff, he would come across as a selfish gunner who, when he struggles, is unaccountable on either end. But he is also only 21. If he keeps his attitude up I think the Heat will get sick of him and he will flame out rapidly at his next destination.

I think his talent is very much like Booker's, but he has a far better coaching staff than Booker did at the same age, but he also lacks Booker's devotion and (relative) humility... not that Booker is humble, but Herro seems to truly love the smell of his own waste.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I suspect he that, if not for a very good system and coaching staff, he would come across as a selfish gunner who, when he struggles, is unaccountable on either end. But he is also only 21. If he keeps his attitude up I think the Heat will get sick of him and he will flame out rapidly at his next destination.

I think his talent is very much like Booker's, but he has a far better coaching staff than Booker did at the same age, but he also lacks Booker's devotion and (relative) humility... not that Booker is humble, but Herro seems to truly love the smell of his own waste.

Didnt Herro have some training camps but some guy cooked him, it was pretty good.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Personally I've always liked Tyler Herro. IMO, he plays much like a young Devin Booker as you indicate. Also when I look at their stats through their third season they are very similar.

I think he is a young star on the rise that's why I joked about Devin Booker needing to look at him to get his game back on track.

I'm not sure about the work ethic part or his attitude so that might tell a different story. To a certain extent I think a young player needs confidence.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didnt Herro have some training camps but some guy cooked him, it was pretty good.

This may be what you are referring too but Herro was encouraging much younger children to beat up on him in camp so perhaps in a way this is a compliment.