Heading into next season we need a legit number two

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by Jetstream Green, Nov 29, 2020.

1. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

Under 8 yards a catch. UNDER 8 yards.

2. Chopper0080

Chopper0080 2021 - Prove It

I don't know that I disagree, but I also don't know that I can continue to trot dudes out who can't separate, can't catch, and can't help our young QB out.

The last thing I want to do is not give Kyler more help just because he was picked number one and shouldn't need it. I get the argument and I don't disagree, but I would rather add more talent and ensure Kyler works out.

Solar7 and Jetstream Green like this.
  3. Jetstream Green

Jetstream Green Kool Aid with a touch of vodka

Chopper, being this a a prove it league with the old additive of what have you done for me lately. I would personally run Keesean Johnson out there because the guy did actually make a catch and it's about getting a guy who can function regardless of draft position... but then again maybe he was out there lol

4. Chopper0080

You have to get players who are on the same page as Kyler and make the easy plays. Kyler trusts Kirk, but Kirk is super inconsistent. Kyler doesn't trust Isabella. Kyler trusts KeeSean, but KeeSean is very limited.

The line needs to be improved because Kyler needs to learn to trust it, sit in it, and move up in it. The talent is good enough to be slightly above average but not good enough for a skittish QB.

Jetstream Green likes this.
  5. Solar7

Solar7 Meh

Nah, you're totally right. I'm all for helping the kid out. I just don't want to over-invest.

Let's think to 2021. Is this team better off with a good outside CB, DL, or a WR in the first round? We should be able to make things work with a cheaper prospect at WR, if we can draft right... at least in my opinion.

6. TaylorSwift

TaylorSwift Registered

You will not find a nfl draft pick at the qb position who was successful without players around him

Elevate talent means nothing if there is no talent to elevate

7. Chopper0080

I think we just need to commit to the possibility of over-investing early and just hope it helps Kyler develop quicker. When he gets to a second contract is when he will need to do more with less.

daves likes this.
  8. Chopper0080

I guess I am willing to take the Chiefs approach of loading up on offense and trying to get the defense to "good enough".

9. BritCard

BritCard Registered

I think your all missing some rather important details.

You could put Davante Adams and Adam Theilen out wide but when their route trees are limited to Go's and Out's how hard can it be for DB's to cover? How many of Nuk's catches have been some form of Go/Post or Out route? I think every ball he caught on Sunday was an out route.

I keep hearing receivers "can't separate" as if all receivers in the league get separation because of their elite physical gifts. What helps is not being predictable. If every route you run is the same (or a slight variation of the same) how hard do you think it is for DB's to play you?

Go watch Davante Adams. He line sup all over, left, right, in the slot, he runs every route in the book plus complicated combo routes.

Look at Nuk's route chart vs Adams for the season

Nuk - https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/charts/player/deandre-hopkins/HOP161500/2020

Adams - https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/charts/player/davante-adams/ADA218591/season

Our offense isn't revolutionary. It's regressionary.

I'd link Kirks but it's so dull NGS only have 3 weeks for him.

10. TheCardFan

TheCardFan Things have changed.

Interesting. I wanted to say that was on Nuk since he lines up on the left all the time/doesn't even huddle sometimes. I went back and looked at the charts from 2018 and 2019 for him and they are all over the place (like Adams).

Why?

daves likes this.
  11. BritCard

BritCard Registered

Kliff's scheme.

Guys like Chris Simm's and Mike Renner have been saying for some time that the offense isn't very inventive. Very little pre snap motion, everything out of shotgun, limited route trees etc

Kliff tries to do some things with play design and formations that can be interesting. For example some of the designed runs for Kyler with TE's in pre snap motion, but you can only do these things so often.

The vast majority, the bread and butter, are rather basic. Nearly all the explosive plays are Kyler runs, and wide deep balls. Not hard to take away once you figure it out.

TaylorSwift likes this.
  12. Chopper0080

Our formations put him on the left because we stack a bunch of personnel to the right side of the field. The concept is that teams either have to shift over to Hopkins which gives a number advantage to the multi-receiver side or they shift correctly which opens up Hopkins.

13. SoonerLou

SoonerLou Registered

AJ Brown.

If you take him then address the slot corner or other issues with the Rosen pick.

Deebo has been really good when healthy though.

14. BritCard

BritCard Registered

Do we have to do it like, on practically every play?

15. Chopper0080

If it helps create easier reads for your developing QB, why wouldn't you?