Head scratch david johnson

NashDishesDimes

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I have been bottling this one up for a while and i am not known to have such a negative outlook in any Cards picks however i am really scratching my head at this David Johnson guy. Am i the only one?

I watched all his youtube highlights and i dont see anything on tape? I see a 6'0 runningback which is a big no-no alla beanie wells. They will never have good pad level. They say he is big because he is 224lbs yet he is 224lbs because he is 6'0.

In the 5-10 videos i watched, i have seen him fall forward against smaller college competition but only between the tackles, i did not see him push any piles like the great NFL backs.

He is known for a stiff arm which doesnt look that great. Once again i refer to Beanie Wells.

I dont see any superior cut ability or footwork. He is a 'downhill fast guy', once again i refer to Beanie Wells.

The other head scratcher for me as i did see somebody else on the board mention, the guy literally sounds like Michael Jackson. Not to say that is a problem but i just dont see a dominant personality here.

Anyways, i road the beanie wells bandwagon and ryan williams bandwagon but i see literally nothing that excites me about this guy.

Anyone see what i am seeing here? This board seems to be very optimistic on him.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been bottling this one up for a while and i am not known to have such a negative outlook in any Cards picks however i am really scratching my head at this David Johnson guy. Am i the only one?

I watched all his youtube highlights and i dont see anything on tape? I see a 6'0 runningback which is a big no-no alla beanie wells. They will never have good pad level. They say he is big because he is 224lbs yet he is 224lbs because he is 6'0.

In the 5-10 videos i watched, i have seen him fall forward against smaller college competition but only between the tackles, i did not see him push any piles like the great NFL backs.

He is known for a stiff arm which doesnt look that great. Once again i refer to Beanie Wells.

I dont see any superior cut ability or footwork. He is a 'downhill fast guy', once again i refer to Beanie Wells.

The other head scratcher for me as i did see somebody else on the board mention, the guy literally sounds like Michael Jackson. Not to say that is a problem but i just dont see a dominant personality here.

Anyways, i road the beanie wells bandwagon and ryan williams bandwagon but i see literally nothing that excites me about this guy.

Anyone see what i am seeing here? This board seems to be very optimistic on him.

Walter Payton sounded like Michael Jackson :shrug:

And came from a small school... Just saying

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Anyone that doesn't see talent when watching his tape is crazy. He has a ton of talent, I think people are hung up on getting a power back. He isn't a Jerome Bettis. He has a good skill set for a back his size which is hard to find. With the improved oline Johnson and Ellington should have a good year imo.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Moronic thoughts like the one above are why most of the regulars over the years don't post here anymore. It's comical how the minions feed off one another. David Johnson and Beanie have ZERO in common with their running styles lol. What tape were you watching that was at all reminiscent of Wells'? The Michael Jackson thing is equally infuriating. He doesn't speak like he slept through his college courses and doesn't sound like enough of a risk to get locked up for slapping a stripper for your tastes? Soooo sorry that we drafted an intelligent kid that comprehends articulation. In case you haven't noticed, this is becoming a BA & Kiem staple. I do t think a single one of our draftees this year has a much as a tattoo. Also, why does Beanie catch a bum rap on here? He was a stud. We had him behind a garbage line with a trash QB after his rookie year and ruined his knee. The end.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Moronic thoughts like the one above are why most of the regulars over the years don't post here anymore. It's comical how the minions feed off one another. David Johnson and Beanie have ZERO in common with their running styles lol. What tape were you watching that was at all reminiscent of Wells'? The Michael Jackson thing is equally infuriating. He doesn't speak like he slept through his college courses and doesn't sound like enough of a risk to get locked up for slapping a stripper for your tastes? Soooo sorry that we drafted an intelligent kid that comprehends articulation. In case you haven't noticed, this is becoming a BA & Kiem staple. I do t think a single one of our draftees this year has a much as a tattoo. Also, why does Beanie catch a bum rap on here? He was a stud. We had him behind a garbage line with a trash QB after his rookie year and ruined his knee. The end.
This

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Moronic thoughts like the one above are why most of the regulars over the years don't post here anymore. It's comical how the minions feed off one another.

Yeah, that is the reason

:bigyawn:

The irony.

I bet we could drum up some of your gems from the past.

PS - "Regulars" LOL. They are not regulars unless they regularly post, and if they no longer post because they feel it is beneath them to do so, then good riddance.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I do not like David Johnson as a pick. He really is the only draft pick I see not making an impact on the team.

I think he will be like Stepfan Taylor, which is he does everything well except rushing the football.

I do not think Johnson is going to be able to run with power, and/or be quick enough to hit the hole between the tackles.

But, as a 3rd round pick he is not that big of a risk, so with that, I hope I am wrong and the guy becomes a stud.

That all being said, there is no denying the kid's character which is top notch, at least it seems to be.

JMHO.

Capital Card

The Kobayashi of Kool-Aid
Reaction score
I think he is a bit of an Ellington clone, though with more size/bulk, as you pointed out. Both are good, not great runners, with above average receiving skills.

I think we plan to rotate the two frequently so they both remain fresh, without having to change the offense, regardless of which one is in the game.

I see either Hughes or Taylor (who I've never been that fond of) becoming our short yardage power back.

I could be wrong of course, but that is how I think this will play out.

Go Cards!!!

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There are pros & cons anytime you draft a RB these days. I've watched enough film of him & I don't see any similarity in running style to Beanie Wells. This guy has far more wiggle than Beanie had. The good thing is that we'll generally know early on if he'll be a contributor or not. Let's not forget that BASK like him for his overall versatility in their offense. Time will tell. Fingers are crossed

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Anyone that doesn't see talent when watching his tape is crazy. He has a ton of talent, I think people are hung up on getting a power back.

That may be the case, I know that is part of the issue I have with the situation. Cause if that is what he had been brought in for I don't think he will succeed.

From what I have seen, read, and heard, he doesn't run like a power back, which at 6' 220lbs I question why. The size is there.

In the NFL, every player is a good tackler, and I just don't see Johnson translating to the NFL well. Doesn't run with power, and may not be quick enough to use speed/quickness as an asset.

Yet, that is the trick, how does any player translate to the NFL ? I dunno. I take an educated guess like everyone else. I will say I like him more than I did Michael Floyd, and I was dead wrong about Floyd (even with Floyd's "down" season last year).

Of course the fan in me wants Johnson to be a perennial 2,000 yard back so hoping to be dead wrong.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score

I do not like David Johnson as a pick. He really is the only draft pick I see not making an impact on the team.

There you have it. The two biggest reasons to be unabashedly excited about the kid. My glass is now overflowing with Koolaid on DJ.

BTW I am not sure what dudes like Rugby and Nashdropsdimes think they are seeing. Every analytics driven analyst who watches tape I have heard mention how this was a good pick and great fit. Every bit of game film (and yes highlight packages) i have watched seems impressive - especially when you look at his performance against the Big 12 teams. I dont put much stock in the UNI conference games because the holes look so big but you watch him against Iowa and Iowa State and he looks like AP to me in terms of gait and pad level. He could end up being terrible but if he does its not anything you two saw on "tape" aka You Tube.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If beanie was picked this late he would have been a home run for how he produced. This guy gets less injuries so if he can crank out beanies solid years, he will be huge for us and has a skilled back to spell him where Beanie really didnt.

If you are expecting him to be a superstar, yes you should have reserves but for him to spell ellington, he should be solid. We can have a stable of nothing but small, slow backs behind ellington.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Not being fond of the guy doesn't make you a moron. I would say nasty, negative posts like yours are what pushes away board members vs people posting their thoughts based on the tape they watch.

and BTW, he has a similar running style to Beanie. High pad level = easy to fall forward. I do think he can be better than beanie though.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That may be the case, I know that is part of the issue I have with the situation. Cause if that is what he had been brought in for I don't think he will succeed.

From what I have seen, read, and heard, he doesn't run like a power back, which at 6' 220lbs I question why. The size is there.

In the NFL, every player is a good tackler, and I just don't see Johnson translating to the NFL well. Doesn't run with power, and may not be quick enough to use speed/quickness as an asset.

Yet, that is the trick, how does any player translate to the NFL ? I dunno. I take an educated guess like everyone else. I will say I like him more than I did Michael Floyd, and I was dead wrong about Floyd (even with Floyd's "down" season last year).

Of course the fan in me wants Johnson to be a perennial 2,000 yard back so hoping to be dead wrong.

agreed, he is NOT a power back. He is a larger version of ellington. 6' 220 isnt "power back" size. 6'0 250 is more like it.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not being fond of the guy doesn't make you a moron. I would say nasty, negative posts like yours are what pushes away board members vs people posting their thoughts based on the tape they watch.

:thumbup:

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We will really see what we have with David Johnson (and all the rookies) when the pads are put on in training camp.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
He could end up being terrible but if he does its not anything you two saw on "tape" aka You Tube.

Actually it would be the reasons, and my reasons are laid out in my posts. College games, and college players show only so much, and it is an educated guess on how he translates to the NFL on my part. I just don't see, but my opinion and a bag of apples will give you a bag of apples.

Its all good, I will own up to them if wrong. Actually will be happy to be wrong. Will you come back if Johnson doesn't hold up to your Adrian Peterson comparison ?

The future will tell the truth.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I think he is a bit of an Ellington clone, though with more size/bulk, as you pointed out. Both are good, not great runners, with above average receiving skills.

I think we plan to rotate the two frequently so they both remain fresh, without having to change the offense, regardless of which one is in the game.

I see either Hughes or Taylor (who I've never been that fond of) becoming our short yardage power back.

I could be wrong of course, but that is how I think this will play out.

Go Cards!!!

This is exactly why he was drafted imo. They wanted someone with AE's skill set so they won't have to change the O when he was in there. He's a bigger version of AE.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
This is exactly why he was drafted imo. They wanted someone with AE's skill set so they won't have to change the O when he was in there. He's a bigger version of AE.

That would actually make a heck of a lot more sense. The question is if Johnson can adapt to the NFL speed, and if his own quickness translates to NFL type talent.

He seems to have good hands, to be a decent blocker (from what I have read at least), and high character, thus he will be used by the Cardinals regardless, but what he is needed for is to provide some in between the tackles rushing.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score

and BTW, he has a similar running style to Beanie. High pad level = easy to fall forward. I do think he can be better than beanie though.

Originally Posted by cardsfanmd View Post

This is why I put him on ignore. And I agree replies like cardsfanmd is why people leave not posts like nashdishesdimes. I think NDD is off base on his assessment of Johnson however he is entitled to his opinion without someone calling him a moron.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
The guy has talent and is still picking up the nuances of playing the running back position being basically a wide receiver at a small college initially... and I think eventually through the Cardinal conditioning staff he will put on some weight and though maybe not a power back will learn to play more physical with the attributes to match :)

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score

I don't think Johnson will be a superstar but I think he has the combo size/speed/hands that will make him very solid. He may improve tremendously with NFL coaching, wasn't he a converted WR?

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I don't think Johnson will be a superstar but I think he has the combo size/speed/hands that will make him very solid. He may improve tremendously with NFL coaching, wasn't he a converted WR?

At some point I think he was, he supposedly can block too, so regardless of touting the rock, he should have value to be counted on in the passing game.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
I would only add this caution for those believing that Johnson is a wasted pick. Comparing him to Jerome Bettis or Beanie Wells is futile------he is NOT that kind of back. He was drafted because he is a better 3 down version of Andre Ellington than Ellington himself is. He possesses ALL of Ellington's abilities, but with more size, (beneficial for durability), AND with superior hands, (making him a better receiver out of the backfield). All of you raved at Ellington's burst, game speed, and catching abilities, lamenting ONLY his inability to remain healthy throughout a long season. You should not at all be surprised to find that come opening day, Ellington has been replaced as the starting RB by David Johnson, with Ellington himself being the backup.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave