Head Coach choice

Head Coach choice

• Total voters

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The way MB phrased the reset/wide net of the searches hinted that he is trying to gauge how other franchises run their front office. Then with the coaches, gauge football philosophies. At least that's how I read it.

I don't believe MB can do it as well as a competent franchise owner can. With a bungling family that just ate a bunch of contracts he extended, a Keim spiral, and multiple coaching flameouts in a row, we'd be fools to trust his judgment.

I think this whole process is as close to a mea culpa from MB and the Bidwill family as possible.

I think just like MB/Keim was hiring polar opposites as coaches, this time, MB looked around and hired a polar opposite of a GM.

If I can muster any hope from this process, it's that with a more professional and grounded GM/AGM (Monti and Sears), maybe they are better at using these coaching interviews for gleaming contemporary football philosophies than MB.

We have no evidence to suggest they are better than MB other than they are from the outside and seem solid.

MB's ownership created the situation where we had Keim's mess and Kliff's mess. We are in a more difficult situation to hire or trade for a coach with a new GM compared to incumbent GM's. We may not have gotten our top picks. We definitely look poorly run, but hopefully, this is the bottoming out in terms of organizational structure.

If that's the case, it's up to Monti and Sears to convince MB where to take us. It starts with MB being persuaded by Monti of what coach to hire. I hope they are up for the task. I hope that mea culpa mindset stays with MB so he's more amenable to what direction Monti suggests. If MB's ego is that he needs to make the decision, I sure hope he aligns his ego with Monti's vision.

I do wonder with all the zoom calls if MB is trying to moderate his level of involvement in the process. It was his m.o. to personally pick up players/coaches via his plane. Maybe there are too many candidates, or maybe he's trying to play the owner part at the appropriate time without taking over the process.

Maybe I missed it, but have they put out a statement or answered a question on if Monti is leading the coaching search?

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Maybe I missed it, but have they put out a statement or answered a question on if Monti is leading the coaching search?
At least with Payton, it seemed that several FO employees were in on the meetings...Somewhere they listed all the players, but I can' remember where I read it. I would imagine it's the same for all of the 2nd interviews, but perhaps all the 1st interviews are must Monti, AGM and MB, but I have no concrete data either way.

imaCafan

Next stop, Hall of Fame!
Reaction score
If they want Flores they better get er done. He's interviewing for DC in Denver. Need to be a little more decisive instead of taking whats left...

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Flores rather be a DC in MINNY than be a headcoach here. Tells me a lot about this organization.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
And he's the 3rd choice in Minny...lol
Maybe we are worse than what we talk about here. Or Bidwill is truely the worst owner to work with in the NFL. At least Synder took a step back and let the football people handle the job

Minski

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I am finding it frustrating how long this has been taking... BUT, I will not care if I can look back in a years time and be applauding the Cards on picking the right guy. Monti is an extremely analytical person, so it would make sense that this is actually him not dragging his feet but deeply looking into the candidates. Flores dropping out was his choice. A lot of factors will go into people's decision on what job to take. Flores was hanging out with the Vikings GM at the senior bowl... maybe he was told he'd be the frontrunner to get the Vikings job should they can their HC. Who knows??

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am finding it frustrating how long this has been taking... BUT, I will not care if I can look back in a years time and be applauding the Cards on picking the right guy. Monti is an extremely analytical person, so it would make sense that this is actually him not dragging his feet but deeply looking into the candidates. Flores dropping out was his choice. A lot of factors will go into people's decision on what job to take. Flores was hanging out with the Vikings GM at the senior bowl... maybe he was told he'd be the frontrunner to get the Vikings job should they can their HC. Who knows??

Exactly. Who cares how long it takes if they get the right guy? I'd rather take 7-10 days longer and get it right than hurry it and get it wrong.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
...because the team he was in the running for fell a hundred laps behind the tortoise in speed.

You can absolutely argue that we lost Flores because we were not quick enough. I'm sure the FO would counter that they are going as fast as possible to interview the guys they like and ensuring that happens is more important than losing one guy to time, but for sure you can make that argument.

But it's a very different argument to "He turned us down because we suck. Mike sucks. This org is a joke".

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
You can absolutely argue that we lost Flores because we were not quick enough. I'm sure the FO would counter that they are going as fast as possible to interview the guys they like and ensuring that happens is more important than losing one guy to time, but for sure you can make that argument.

But it's a very different argument to "He turned us down because we suck. Mike sucks. This org is a joke".
So losing candidates because we're inept and slow means the organization ISN'T a joke and Mike DOESN'T suck? Mm, no.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So losing candidates because we're inept and slow means the organization ISN'T a joke and Mike DOESN'T suck? Mm, no.

lol ok dude. Thanks for proving my point.

They should absolutely have rushed to hire Flores and missed out on interviewing other guys they liked. That makes sense. Miss out on multiple other guys so that you don't miss on one.

Had they hired Flores 10 days ago you would be moaning they didn't interview Kafka or Amurumo.

You're right. Mike and Monti just have their feet up drinking beers. It's taking so long because they don't really care. It's nothing to do with scheduling and availability of the people they want to meet and just they suck.

Stout

Reaction score
lol ok dude. Thanks for proving my point.

They should absolutely have rushed to hire Flores and missed out on interviewing other guys they liked. That makes sense. Miss out on multiple other guys so that you don't miss on one.

Had they hired Flores 10 days ago you would be moaning they didn't interview Kafka or Amurumo.

You're right. Mike and Monti just have their feet up drinking beers.
It's taking so long because they don't really care. It's nothing to do with scheduling and availability of the people they want to meet and just they suck.
Deep end much? Proving your point? You have a different threshold for logic, methinks. Also some of that famous reading comprehension problem you always accuse others of. I haven't specified a HC preference yet somehow I'd be moaning they didn't interview others? I've somehow intimated the FO and owner are just kicking it drinking beers? It can be true that the owner and new GM want to do a great job and are working really hard to do that and are still screwing things up through analysis paralysis.

See if this is simple enough for you: If you dither too long to figure out who your guy is, your guy could very well no longer be available.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Deep end much? Proving your point? You have a different threshold for logic, methinks. Also some of that famous reading comprehension problem you always accuse others of. I haven't specified a HC preference yet somehow I'd be moaning they didn't interview others? I've somehow intimated the FO and owner are just kicking it drinking beers? It can be true that the owner and new GM want to do a great job and are working really hard to do that and are still screwing things up through analysis paralysis.

See if this is simple enough for you: If you dither too long to figure out who your guy is, your guy could very well no longer be available.

You see analysis paralysis. I see scheduling conflicts, playoffs and superbowl prep.

One of us is inventing a negative narrative. The other is trying to be reasonable.

Stout

Reaction score
You see analysis paralysis. I see scheduling conflicts, playoffs and superbowl prep.

One of us is inventing a negative narrative. The other is trying to be reasonable.
If we still didn't have a coach on April 1st you'd put out an excuse so bad it wouldn't even serve as an April Fool's joke. One of us defends the Cards at all costs; the other is, unfortunately, falling into the definition of insanity.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If we still didn't have a coach on April 1st you'd put out an excuse so bad it wouldn't even serve as an April Fool's joke. One of us defends the Cards at all costs; the other is, unfortunately, falling into the definition of insanity.

If all else fails invent a scenario.

Of course I would be critical if we didn't have a coach in April. But we are only a week behind Denver and Houston. It's hardly devastatingly longer. And considering we started 10 days later because we had to get a GM in place first it's not unreasonable.

I'm not defending the Org. I'm just trying to be reasonable rather than inventing scenarios to do this team down.