HDR TV

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey DCR....

What was your deciding factors for picking up the OLED? I have been doing some deep research and the burn in issues really concern me. Especially with all of the sports I watch. Score lines, static graphics, and scrolling bottom lines could become a quick problem for me.

Check this out: https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/permanent-image-retention-burn-in-lcd-oled

I know you asked dream but for me the deciding factor always is quality of the picture. Hands down OLED blows anything out of the water.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I know you asked dream but for me the deciding factor always is quality of the picture. Hands down OLED blows anything out of the water.
I do agree that they have the best picture. My issue though is..... How long will that picture last? When I spend $2,000 I dont want to have issues 18 months in. It's like buying a bed. They all are awesome in the beginning then they go to hell about 2 years after you buy it.

Just scares me. I would rather wait for them to perfect it.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey DCR....

What was your deciding factors for picking up the OLED? I have been doing some deep research and the burn in issues really concern me. Especially with all of the sports I watch. Score lines, static graphics, and scrolling bottom lines could become a quick problem for me.

Check this out: https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/permanent-image-retention-burn-in-lcd-oled

Let's see. Best overall picture. Outstanding black levels. Good contrast. Highest rated TVs by Consumer Reports for years now.

Honestly though, the real deciding factor is that my friend had the 2016 model so I got to see it in person quite a bit. I doubt I would have bought the OLED without seeing it up close so many times.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do agree that they have the best picture. My issue though is..... How long will that picture last? When I spend $2,000 I dont want to have issues 18 months in. It's like buying a bed. They all are awesome in the beginning then they go to hell about 2 years after you buy it.

Just scares me. I would rather wait for them to perfect it.

I would suggest going to AVSform.com and check out the threads for the specific model you are buying. From what I have read, talk to and witnessed, I have not seen any issues with burn in. That's not to say if you leave a static image on the TV long enough it won't happen but regular viewing? I have not personally heard any complaints from friends or otherwise.

OLED is fairly new and it's possible that it's just not road tested long enough yet. Having said that, people warned of burn in with Plasma and LCD and I never had a single issues on those sets either.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Let's see. Best overall picture. Outstanding black levels. Good contrast. Highest rated TVs by Consumer Reports for years now.

Honestly though, the real deciding factor is that my friend had the 2016 model so I got to see it in person quite a bit. I doubt I would have bought the OLED without seeing it up close so many times.
Thanks. I personally love the OLED's and want to pull the trigger. I'm probably getting the 55 inch E7p. My wife likes the sound bar and will probably use it more as she hates 5.1 or 7.2.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I personally love the OLED's and want to pull the trigger. I'm probably getting the 55 inch E7p. My wife likes the sound bar and will probably use it more as she hates 5.1 or 7.2.

I personally went away from the E series because I already have surround sound and the built in sound bar is way overpriced for what you can buy on the secondary market.

Divorce your wife if she hates surround sound. ;)

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Hey DCR....

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
OLED is fairly new and it's possible that it's just not road tested long enough yet. Having said that, people warned of burn in with Plasma and LCD and I never had a single issues on those sets either.
Almost 10yrs with my plasma and any burn in I've had, I've been able to remove with the protection cleaner. That was my concern with getting plasma, but I just let the wipe cleaner run for a min or two and it's gone.

The new test will be much more real-world accurate and I'll be curious to see the results, but they should be quite different from the first test.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson