HDR TV

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
A buddy of mine got the 65" LG OLED TV and it looks pretty damn good. I am a bit jealous.
If it's the one i'm looking at upgrading to, those things are gorgeous. Is it 4k too? OLED is the only screen tech that comes close to plasma, which is what i have now.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it's the one i'm looking at upgrading to, those things are gorgeous. Is it 4k too? OLED is the only screen tech that comes close to plasma, which is what i have now.

Yep. Sure is.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oddly enough, my teenager caught it, even when not playing HDR games, there is a signification difference between this and my few year older model 1080p tv. On the old one we noticed on rocket league the text looks like something out of minecraft. The overall picture now seems grainy and just not as good.

Considering this is not even HDR content I am viewing, I am pleasantly surprised at the difference from my older TV to this one.

The older one is only like 1-2 years old 1080p model so its not like it is real old tech.

So I highly recommend this except I warn you, you will want to replace all of your TVs once you see the difference.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oddly enough, my teenager caught it, even when not playing HDR games, there is a signification difference between this and my few year older model 1080p tv. On the old one we noticed on rocket league the text looks like something out of minecraft. The overall picture now seems grainy and just not as good.

Considering this is not even HDR content I am viewing, I am pleasantly surprised at the difference from my older TV to this one.

The older one is only like 1-2 years old 1080p model so its not like it is real old tech.

So I highly recommend this except I warn you, you will want to replace all of your TVs once you see the difference.

The text sizes for example are usually caused by settings on the TV.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The text sizes for example are usually caused by settings on the TV.

its not really the size of the text, more so the clarity. far sharper on the new TV.

I do game mode to force the HZ down to the right speeds and then mostly leave the sets alone after that.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
its not really the size of the text, more so the clarity. far sharper on the new TV.

I do game mode to force the HZ down to the right speeds and then mostly leave the sets alone after that.

Right. Try turning your sharpness on your TV all the way down to 0. Seems counter-intuitive, but it is a good place to start.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
My 7 year old 65" Samsung Plasma just blew... After comparing - in person - the Samsung QLED vs the many OLED's out there, my eyes kept gravitating to the QLED... So, just plunked down $2,900 for a 75" Samsung QLED. Gets delivered next Friday.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 7 year old 65" Samsung Plasma just blew... After comparing - in person - the Samsung QLED vs the many OLED's out there, my eyes kept gravitating to the QLED... So, just plunked down $2,900 for a 75" Samsung QLED. Gets delivered next Friday.
jesus

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score

:clapping:

Superbowl at 82's this year!

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

We are all coming over for the super bowl

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
So over new years I was Rocky Point and the house had a 65" LCD LG TV; I didn't get the model, but it was probably a year or two old.

I was watching some movies on it from DirecTv and notices they looked very smooth. Too smooth. Almost like watching a soap opera or live TV, or a video game. King Arthur really stood out to me. Movies are generally filmed at 24fps, but this looked like it was playing at 60fps. I didn't think the newer TV could actually change the frame rate, so then I wondered if it was the refresh rate. A 120 or 240?

It was really an awkward viewing experience to me. The kids watched some Paw Patrol and kept commenting how it looked like a video game. Too smooth looking.

I don't have this effect with the plasma, but did go to Frys over the weekend and noticed the same thing on a lot of their tv's.

What's causing this, the refresh rate of the LCD?

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It's a limitation of the motion interpolation and exacerbated in the LCD tech. You can try turning if off depending on the model, but I find it very annoying.

Motion interpolation is a common, optional feature of various modern display devices such as HDTVs and video players, aimed at increasing perceived framerate or alleviating display motion blur, a common problem on LCDflat-panel displays.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_interpolation

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So over new years I was Rocky Point and the house had a 65" LCD LG TV; I didn't get the model, but it was probably a year or two old.

I was watching some movies on it from DirecTv and notices they looked very smooth. Too smooth. Almost like watching a soap opera or live TV, or a video game. King Arthur really stood out to me. Movies are generally filmed at 24fps, but this looked like it was playing at 60fps. I didn't think the newer TV could actually change the frame rate, so then I wondered if it was the refresh rate. A 120 or 240?

It was really an awkward viewing experience to me. The kids watched some Paw Patrol and kept commenting how it looked like a video game. Too smooth looking.

I don't have this effect with the plasma, but did go to Frys over the weekend and noticed the same thing on a lot of their tv's.

super annoying and most people have no idea to turn it off and when I go to their house I lose my mind.

Reaction score
I noticed this at my buddies house. A movie on HBO looked like a soap opera. He had no clue what I was talking about. It was definitely a setting on the tv. Don't remember the options exactly.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I noticed this at my buddies house. A movie on HBO looked like a soap opera. He had no clue what I was talking about. It was definitely a setting on the tv. Don't remember the options exactly.
It is terrible and I don't even understand why manufacturers thought it was/is a good idea.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I forgot to mention in this thread that I got the LG Electronics OLED65C7P a few months ago. Very nice TV Paid $2500 or so including tax.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did through a verified 3rd party seller to get Amazon's warranty but not have to pay sales tax. ;)

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is terrible and I don't even understand why manufacturers thought it was/is a good idea.

I think it is solely to make the screens pop in the store, you would think it would be disabled on boxed TVs though

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finally got my mother to purchase a new TV. Bought an LG with HDR and Dolby Vision. It's an amazing TV. Like mentioned above though, need to turn off LG's TruMotion. It can only be done from the EXPERT menu but it gets rid of the Soap Opera effect.

For the longest time she kept saying she doesn't need one of those fancy TV's. Now that she has this thing? She loves it. You can ask it to find certain shows and boom...it finds them and even lets you put on a reminder. She is in total awe of what it can do and how it looks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave