HDR TV

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone get one yet? I am looking at pairing my xbox one S with a KU6300 budget HDR Samsung tv.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Too early. I'm waiting this one out. All the manufacturers need a universal spec and some desirable content before I'm convinced.

Thankfully my plasma is still holding strong.

I am looking forward to it, though. HDR and the extended color are going to be much more exciting than 4K IMO.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are there that many hdr games? i thought most of those were coming with scorpio?

There are like 8 games already, the one S supports HDR.

However the one game I have, has still not upgraded to HDR (Battlefield)

Too early. I'm waiting this one out. All the manufacturers need a universal spec and some desirable content before I'm convinced.

Thankfully my plasma is still holding strong.

I am looking forward to it, though. HDR and the extended color are going to be much more exciting than 4K IMO.

I bought it. Just noticed today that I have no HDR games. lol. I guess ill be banking on HDR10 to win over DOlby Vision.

Whatever, I needed another TV, is was 670 with a 3 year replacement plan and should be the top TV in my house and should play all the HDR games moving forward. We'll see. I plan to hook it up tonight and test it out.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let us know how you like it.

I saw your post over at AVS. Consider yourself stalked. :whip:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am in the market for one too. Probably this summer is when I will be able to afford it. In time for Scorpio.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A buddy of mine got the 65" LG OLED TV and it looks pretty damn good. I am a bit jealous.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am in the market for one too. Probably this summer is when I will be able to afford it. In time for Scorpio.

A buddy of mine got the 65" LG OLED TV and it looks pretty damn good. I am a bit jealous.

The one I got is a budget HDR that doesnt quite have all the bells and whistles but will work supposedly for $600. You can spend 1k-15k to get some really awesome ones. I will report my findings once I test it out. It turns out I have no HDR games yet (bf1 never patched itself to have HDR as promised) but i might be able to HDR off of netflix or amazon.

OLED probably costs even more.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The one I got is a budget HDR that doesnt quite have all the bells and whistles but will work supposedly for $600. You can spend 1k-15k to get some really awesome ones. I will report my findings once I test it out. It turns out I have no HDR games yet (bf1 never patched itself to have HDR as promised) but i might be able to HDR off of netflix or amazon.

OLED probably costs even more.

It does. I think he spent $2300 or so.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let us know how you like it.

I saw your post over at AVS. Consider yourself stalked. :whip:

AVS still exists? I don't know if I've even been there this century, I kind of forgot all about the place. Although now that I think about it, I did re-visit that site a few times during the HD/Blu Ray battle. I especially liked that forum during the early days of TiVo and it was a godsend as high definition started to become a reality.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AVS still exists? I don't know if I've even been there this century, I kind of forgot all about the place. Although now that I think about it, I did re-visit that site a few times during the HD/Blu Ray battle. I especially liked that forum during the early days of TiVo and it was a godsend as high definition started to become a reality.

It's still great. Some rather epic convos about the most trivial of first world problems. :D

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use the board almost always for technology research. am a new poster there though, probably stop being one soon, just needed info on a tv

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use the board almost always for technology research. am a new poster there though, probably stop being one soon, just needed info on a tv

Understood and it has long been a good resource for that. Back in the early to mid 90's I used a site called The Electric Company (if memory serves) for tech talk and electronic purchases/research but they died out as DVD came into vogue. I think most of us home theater fans ended up on AVS not much after that.

In the mid to late 90's there were a lot of other good sites such as The Home Theater Forum and Digital Bits (I think they're both still around) but AVS had answers for everything and a nice mix of experts and devoted fans. But now, I think my early adopter days are finally behind me so it has less value to me these days.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I will turn it on tonight, had some issues get in the way.

Something funny: it comes with composite cables.

like....really? Did I just make a mistake purchase? Why the heck would a TV come with those and not an HDMI cord in 2017?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I will turn it on tonight, had some issues get in the way.

Something funny: it comes with composite cables.

like....really? Did I just make a mistake purchase? Why the heck would a TV come with those and not an HDMI cord in 2017?

I asked that question 20 years ago before going out and buying component cables. I just think of it as batteries not included. Or maybe they know that some videophiles will want to waste 800 bucks on Audio Quest Carbon HDMI Cables.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I asked that question 20 years ago before going out and buying component cables. I just think of it as batteries not included. Or maybe they know that some videophiles will want to waste 800 bucks on Audio Quest Carbon HDMI Cables.

I am just going to assume my xbox one s cord is HDMI2.1 and use that

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doesn't 2.0 support everything on the market ATM?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The industry, as fast as it moves at getting the new specs out, severely lags behind with the content. There is still very little 4K content, and it has been out what, 4-5 years already?

Those specs look great, but there is no way we see higher resolution content anytime soon... :(

I was thinking the same readng that. It goes to 120FPS? lol....most stuff cant even get to 60 fps. Movies lock at like 24 fps.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it is amazing how much smaller a 55" is than a 60"

Set everything up, all HDR is green checkmarked after making a few adjustments. You must you HDMI one and you must go into the TV setting and set yes to UHD color on the TV.

I dont have any HDR content, everything on amazon HDR has to be paid for, none of my games are HDR so all I know is that the standard picture is beautiful and it says everything is supported.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave