Hawks @ Suns Thursday game thread

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
he came down crashing hard on his hip in the Lakers game towards the end. might be dealing with something there.

man, I REALLY REALLY REALLY can't wait to see what this team is like with not just another big joining the team with Ayton, but a big who should be a major difference maker as well.

Yeah, this might be the source of the injury. It could even be cumulative incidents.

If the Suns make a trade before the trade deadline FC appears to be the biggest area of need. We will have to see who becomes available.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Yeah, this might be the source of the injury. It could even be cumulative incidents.

If the Suns make a trade before the trade deadline FC appears to be the biggest area of need. We will have to see who becomes available.
He also got elbowed in the face in the Hawks game, although it was late in that game.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He also got elbowed in the face in the Hawks game, although it was late in that game.

Baynes was really beat up in the Hawks came for sure. IMO, he didn't look right from the start.

It makes some sense he might have been injured in the Lakers game. I hadn't thought much about it until it was brought up by other posters today.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
this is where the conundrum continues.

Baynes may be a better, more consistent low-post defender. But he certainly seems to be a better 3pt shooter as well.

How will Ayton's presence affect our offensive spacing, and point output. No one really knows for sure yet.

I do think Baynes will help balance the 2nd unit more than it has been lately. He can bring more calm to that unit.

You don't have to be a great outside shooter to help offensive spacing. If Ayton can dive hard after his screens he will draw a lot of defensive attention or get free rim runs/lobs. That's something that's currently missing with the current group of bigs, there are no real rim runners amongst them.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
He probably is but he's too slow to guard a lot of the big men that Ayton can match up well with, even down low. And is it just me or has he looked even slower the last 2 games? I wonder if it's tired legs or maybe a minor injury?
Someone made the good point that he’s never been a minute eater in the past and he’s had a busy summer. Add in the fact that he’s 33 and due to his style of okay he expends a lot of energy when on the court. He may be hitting a wall. If suspect we’ll see a return of his early play upon Ayton’s return and a reduction in minutes.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
You don't have to be a great outside shooter to help offensive spacing. If Ayton can dive hard after his screens he will draw a lot of defensive attention or get free rim runs/lobs. That's something that's currently missing with the current group of bigs, there are no real rim runners amongst them.
Exactly. Right now we have spacing due to 5 perimeter spacers. But no one provides any gravity in the middle. If Ayton returns as an inside force he will demand double teams which will even further open up our shooters.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It doesn't help that we are seriously lacking strength and athleticism at power forward.
Seriously means we are in trouble....in need of change...in trouble. Stop trying to prove a point from months ago and let it go. Saric is doing just fine and actually holding his own. The tank is absolutely an underrated defensive player and rebounder...wait till he finds his stroke again. To continue this insane crap about our PF is really making you look like you have no clue...i havent even brought up Cam. Let it go man enjoy the team

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seriously means we are in trouble....in need of change...in trouble. Stop trying to prove a point from months ago and let it go. Saric is doing just fine and actually holding his own. The tank is absolutely an underrated defensive player and rebounder...wait till he finds his stroke again. To continue this insane crap about our PF is really making you look like you have no clue...i havent even brought up Cam. Let it go man enjoy the team

We're supposed to have All-Stars or potential All-Stars at every position! Anything less than that says that James Jones isn't even trying to build a competitive team! It's only a matter of time before Monty asks for his release since he's forced to coach a team that plays 4 on 5 every night. Monty will ask out and then Booker will be next, all because you won't listen to my warnings about playing Saric and Kaminsky.

It's bad enough that the Suns drafted a guy who wouldn't make most varsity high school teams with a lottery pick. That should have resulted in James Jones being shown the door but he and Sarver are pressuring Monty to play him. Have you seen how long it takes Cam to get a shot off? If he were to shoot at an arcade's pop-a-shot machine he'd be lucky to get more than 4 attempts before the timer expired. If the Suns didn't draft him at #11 then he wouldn't have been picked at all because the Suns traded away their own 2nd round pick. James Jones was the only person dumb enough to think that he could play in the NBA and that's because he sees himself in Cam. It's his own narcissism that caused Cam to be taken.

*To be clear, I'm not serious and I don't agree with anything I said above.
I was only verifying that that horse was sufficiently beaten and is in fact dead.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

The ignore function works really well on this board, but falls a bit short when people still respond to garbage posts.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The ignore function works really well on this board, but falls a bit short when people still respond to garbage posts.

I think it's a fail and is, at best, just a short term band-aid. Also, over-the-top negative posts have an impact on this board that goes beyond any one poster if no one is correcting or contesting the claims made.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think it's a fail and is, at best, just a short term band-aid. Also, over-the-top negative posts have an impact on this board that goes beyond any one poster if no one is correcting or contesting the claims made.

And yet, without those so-called "over-the-top" negative posts, all we would have had last year, for example, is nonstop praise for Igor-freaking-Kokoskov, Shaq Harrison and Isaiah Canaan...

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And yet, without those so-called "over-the-top" negative posts, all we would have had last year, for example, is nonstop praise for Igor-freaking-Kokoskov, Shaq Harrison and Isaiah Canaan...

I didn't word it well (when I said it goes beyond any one poster) but I wasn't talking specifically about you or at least, not only you. If someone comes in here and starts making posts with incorrect information or wide sweeping claims, whether grossly negative or wildly positive, it can impact the board. Those same claims, on the surface, seem to initiate conversation but IMO it also drives posters away especially if no one is responding to them and offering a counter position. So, while putting someone on ignore is always a possibility, I think it's important that most of us avoid that option. JMO.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I ignore no one. I believe we all can say what we feel. He does have takes i dont agree with. At the end of the day he doesnt call names or belittle posters. All in good debate...go suns

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Eh as someone that has him on ignore I disagree. All the correcting and contesting just leads to so many exasperated posts at someone few believe to posses reasonable positions. It makes for a very droll thread to read nonstop repetitive chastising posts to someone who you’re ignoring. Those also seem to be off topic of every thread.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Eh as someone that has him on ignore I disagree. All the correcting and contesting just leads to so many exasperated posts at someone few believe to posses reasonable positions. It makes for a very droll thread to read nonstop repetitive chastising posts to someone who you’re ignoring. Those also seem to be off topic of every thread.
And, as has been pointed out, generally posting only negatives, with a mere one or two exceptions.

Obviously, a rah-rah every time the Suns do something good is not what I am referring to.

But, now that we are finally becoming a proud, successful team, there are plenty of good
things to comment about.

C'mon, 1Sun, I was right there with you when Sarver's meddling incompetence and
interference buried the Suns for a decade.

But, happily, it is finally over! Now, there is more good than bad. Much, much more!

Hopefully, your posts will reflect that. No team is perfect!

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
And, as has been pointed out, generally posting only negatives, with a mere one or two exceptions.

Obviously, a rah-rah every time the Suns do something good is not what I am referring to.

But, now that we are finally becoming a proud, successful team, there are plenty of good
things to comment about.

C'mon, 1Sun, I was right there with you when Sarver's meddling incompetence and
interference buried the Suns for a decade.

But, happily, it is finally over! Now, there is more good than bad. Much, much more!

Hopefully, your posts will reflect that. No team is perfect!

The concern I have is that it might not be over, not when I see Sarver hanging out at practices and referencing a communication triangle, while at the same time seeing moves (like having Saric and Kaminsky man the power forward spot and overall emphasizing character over talent) that appear to be motivated more by PR than by basketball.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
The concern I have is that it might not be over, not when I see Sarver hanging out at practices and referencing a communication triangle, while at the same time seeing moves (like having Saric and Kaminsky man the power forward spot and overall emphasizing character over talent) that appear to be motivated more by PR than by basketball.
I believe (hope?) that right now, Sarver is harmless. Even his comments about the communications triangle.

He has been a narcissist. Actually having thought that, when his group purchased the Suns, with his
foam finger presence, he was the immediate 2nd coming of Jerry. Instant celebrity.

Here is the key. The results seem to show that Sarver is all talk (public) and that Jones and Monty are
clearly making the basketball decisions.

Let's all keep our on eyes on it! I'll betcha many of us could tell if he starts calling the shots again.

In the meantime, because I appreciate the concerns we shared for so long, please do yourself a favor
and post with a fresh outlook. Things have obviously changed.

There is an old saying. An average communicator says positive things in a positive way and negative
things in a negative way.

A great communicator says positive things in a positive way and negative things in a positive way.

A poor communicator says negative things in a negative way . . . and positive things in a negative way.
Your posts have fallen into this third category.

You are sharp at spotting problems when they occur. But man, keep them in perspective. Offset that
by recognizing when, overall, things are going well. Even better than any of us hoped for.

You've earned the reputation of being a Debbie Downer. That does your participation no good.

We're witnessing the best. Live it! Love it! Enjoy it! Despite minor details that perfectionists as you
and I notice.
Go Suns! :suns: They are going to hit rough spots when the home advantage is not so much in our
favor. We are already beginning to see how the rest of the league is now taking us seriously. Time to
take them in stride and believe that Jones and Monty are capable of handling the bumps. And keeping
Sarver from rocking the boat.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose