Having The First Choice On The Waiver Wire

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Was watching Cards Cover 2 the other day and I believe I heard either MJ or CG say that in recent years the team holding the first choice on the WW, that come the final cutdown to "53", picked from 4-7 guys who were cut by other teams. Wondering how many we'll select. This is an excellent opportunity to improve our roster.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
juza, the players who have X (don't know the number) number of years in the NFL can sign with anyone, I believe.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
juza, the players who have X (don't know the number) number of years in the NFL can sign with anyone, I believe.
I think it's the 10/5 rule...10 years in the league/5 years with current team. At least that's what it used to be, to not be waiver wire bound.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It is where we will get the best talent. Some good players lose out in camp battles. Problem is we get them late and for positions like OL it takes a while to acclimate.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I can’t.
I just cant get excited about the waiver wire.

It’s like we are picking others people garbage. :(

Sorry for being a Debbie downer.
Some very good players are cut every year. Sometimes salary is more of a consideration than play, especially for position depth. If the Cardinals can improve their depth through the waiver wire, it is a good thing.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Yes, this is a 9-win team that just needs the worst 55th-60th best players on a handful of teams to really complete the picture.

Players with 5+ years in the NFL aren't exposed to the waiver wire; they become immediate free agents.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I can’t.

I'm with you.

We might luck out here or there (see Swearinger), but expecting this to be like a second Free Agency seems pretty short-sighted to me.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ii tried googling the best waiver wire signings in NFL history and all I get are fantasy football results.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I'm with you.

We might luck out here or there (see Swearinger), but expecting this to be like a second Free Agency seems pretty short-sighted to me.

It's worth remembering also that D.J. Swearinger was acquired in December 2015; he wasn't a roster-cutdown guy.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
It's worth remembering also that D.J. Swearinger was acquired in December 2015; he wasn't a roster-cutdown guy.
True. I mean, there's a chance that someone who could be a starter is cut to "give them a chance" with another team, but I think it's rare.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can’t.

Based on our depth at the o line and d line others trash is definitely our treasure.

Reactions: PJ1
Reaction score
Spotrac has a list of transactions by year. You can filter claimed. You have to keep scrolling down to get to late August early September of any year.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I remember only a few years ago, teams were signing our cast offs.

I'm all for looking through the bargain bin, but it's just another indication that we'll struggle to win six or seven games.

Who? This is the nonsense that Wolfley sells starting a week from now, and it's almost never true. Even under Arians, some camp body would be picked up for a hot minute on someone's practice squad and never be heard from again.