Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For some reason when my oldest two were little, they were obsessed with the Eddie Murphy movie of the same name. I hope this one is better.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haunted Mansion

Release date: July 28, 2023
Studio: Walt Disney Pictures
Director: Justin Simien
MPAA Rating: PG-13 for some thematic elements and scary action.
Screenwriter: Katie Dippold
Genre: Comedy | Drama | Family

Starring: LaKeith Stanfield, Rosario Dawson, Owen Wilson, Tiffany Haddish, Danny DeVito, Jamie Lee Curtis, Chase Dillon, Jared Leto, J.R. Adduci

Plot Summary: A single mom named Gabbie hires a tour guide, a psychic, a priest and a historian to help exorcise her newly bought mansion after discovering it is inhabited by ghosts.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Dan H

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Not sure why this exists when there's a perfectly good Muppet version - and the Eddie Murphy one isn't bad, either.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Family went to see this. They loved it. Lot's of fun. Much much better than the Eddie Murphy movie of the same name. Owen Wilson was well Owen Wilson. Loved his character. Definitely a good family movie and more worthy of the name. It wasn't a perfect movie by any stretch but again good summer fun.

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
Family went to see this. They loved it. Lot's of fun. Much much better than the Eddie Murphy movie of the same name. Owen Wilson was well Owen Wilson. Loved his character. Definitely a good family movie and more worthy of the name. It wasn't a perfect movie by any stretch but again good summer fun.
Is it appropriate for a 7 and 4 year old? They loved the original Haunted Mansion movie and they want to see this, but my wife and I weren’t sure due to the PG-13 rating.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it appropriate for a 7 and 4 year old? They loved the original Haunted Mansion movie and they want to see this, but my wife and I weren’t sure due to the PG-13 rating.
There are a couple scenes with ghosts that are a little more intense. Not Rated R ghost scary but not G rated either. I would say if you have kids that are skittish there could be a couple scenes that might seem scary to them. The vast majority of the movie isn't that way but here are a couple scenes that might be intense for your 4 year old. If your 7 year old was anything like mine were. They will probably be OK. There were families there with younger children that seemed to be OK but each kid is different.

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
There are a couple scenes with ghosts that are a little more intense. Not Rated R ghost scary but not G rated either. I would say if you have kids that are skittish there could be a couple scenes that might seem scary to them. The vast majority of the movie isn't that way but here are a couple scenes that might be intense for your 4 year old. If your 7 year old was anything like mine were. They will probably be OK. There were families there with younger children that seemed to be OK but each kid is different.
My 7 year old likes the Disneyland ride, but he's hesitant to go to the movie at this point.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 7 year old likes the Disneyland ride, but he's hesitant to go to the movie at this point.
I would say for some it would be similar hesitation to the movie. My kids always had hesitation riding the ride but it didn't keep them from the ride.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed. Appreciated the "tip o' the hat" to a number of features in the Disneyland/DisneyWorld attraction. Ain't gonna win any Oscars, but worthy of matinee fare.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Watched the Muppets version last night. A classic in my house.