Has COVID Robbed the NFL of its Marketing Touch?

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
The NFL has for years mastered the ability to dominate headlines even in the off-season. This year has been different. No combine, limited mini-camps and limited player workouts have left NFL fans with little original material to discuss. Whether this will impact long term popularity is unclear. However, baseball with full stands is getting increased valuable exposure. I’m not faulting the NFL. I’m just curious how much this may impact the upcoming season? Diehard fans will be there but have casual fans lost story lines to follow? I’m certain attendance won’t fall, but what about the TV ratings that dictate the huge rights fees that fund much of the NFL’s success?

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The NFL has for years mastered the ability to dominate headlines even in the off-season. This year has been different. No combine, limited mini-camps and limited player workouts have left NFL fans with little original material to discuss. Whether this will impact long term popularity is unclear. However, baseball with full stands is getting increased valuable exposure. I’m not faulting the NFL. I’m just curious how much this may impact the upcoming season? Diehard fans will be there but have casual fans lost story lines to follow? I’m certain attendance won’t fall, but what about the TV ratings that dictate the huge rights fees that fund much of the NFL’s success?
You make a very good point, but they have nothing to fear from the MLB. I’m a huge traditional baseball guy, but baseball is rough to watch these days:eek:

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The NFL is going to be back and bigger than ever this season. Games will be sold out every week.

In MLB, they couldn't give away enough tickets to even 1/2 fill a stadium. That league is in DIRE straights....despite what some say. MLB has the strongest players union, with the worst popularity, the worst attendance, and the worst contract situations in sports. There are guys on 350+ million contracts that wouldn't even be recognized in their own city.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose