Has Cam Johnson displaced Oubre?

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by JCSunsfan, Aug 7, 2020.

1. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

I think we have always agreed about Clarkson. The Suns need scoring and can use another ball distributor. Although Clarkson comes off the bench, I think we could see some Clarkson/Booker lineups when the Suns want added scoring punch. I do think Clarkson will be in demand though.

I'm still liking Jerami Grant but as the Suns roster stands now, Bridges, Oubre, Johnson and Grant would be overkill. The emergence of Johnson changed the Suns forward equation. Also I'd like to bring Saric back at the right price. There will not be enough money to go around plus pursue Clarkson.

I'm not a fan of Kaminsky's game but that doesn't mean the Suns might not want to bring him back.

The quiet that surrounds Baynes and Oubre keeps me guessing. It could be neither are coming back. Maybe those trade rumors concerning Oubre are not that far off base.

2. JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan Registered User

Funny how sentiments have changed regarding Saric. He was a goner in February.

3. 1Sun

1Sun Banned

Which is why at best he is a bench player at a reasonably low price, and then only if we get the version of Saric from the bubble.

This team still needs a legitimate NBA starting power forward.

4. WhyAlwaysMe

WhyAlwaysMe Banned

Saric has been elite in his last 13 games (7 as a starter), dating back to the last two games in February:

26.6 mpg
    15.3 ppg on 58/55/87 shooting splits
    he’s making 1.6 3s per game and 3.1ft per game
    7.2 rpg

He had a rough start to 2020 and lost his rotation spot, but he was also quite good to start the season in 2019. His overall numbers are good. He’s decent at defense and has a 59TS% on the year. He’s played his way to at least 7.5 AAV. I’d give him 3/30 without blinking given his RFA status.

5. Mainstreet

@JCSunsfan

Also the Suns are not looking at Saric as a starting power forward. This makes a big difference. Saric gets good match-ups off the bench and seems to excel in this role. If Saric were starting, I suspect most of us would still be critical. Suns needed more athleticism in their starting lineup.

6. JCSunsfan

Another question. Is Cam Payne playing out of his mind for a short stretch or has he developed into a better player? Is this the real Cam Payne.

7. Suns_fan69

Suns_fan69 Official ASFN Lurker

Yeah, that's a good question. The rest of his career is decidedly unremarkable.

8. Mainstreet

With an open roster spot it makes me wonder why the Suns didn't sign Payne earlier with the Suns backup point guard position being so weak.

I like Payne's defense, court leadership and offense so I think it's for real. In other words he has more than one thing going for him. Minimally the Suns need someone to backup Rubio.

Also I don't see Okobo coming back and Jerome/Lecque do not look close to being ready to play... if ever.

9. 1Sun

1Sun Banned

Cam Johnson certainly came back today with a solid performance after looking horrible on Tuesday. I am still not convinced, though, that his ceiling is anything other than a James-Jones-type (as a player, not as a GM) rotation guy off the bench.

10. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

Lol when did we move the goalposts?

11. JCSunsfan

I would think that defensive effort and effectiveness are repeatable. I hope.

12. Proximo

Proximo Registered

I know you will never agree - but I think Cam is one.

Where does that leave us with Oubre - well that is the real question.

13. Proximo

Proximo Registered

This is a terrible take.

At James Jones best he was never as good as Cam has been in this bubble. And Cam is a rookie - and very clearly improving greatly.

At this point I am confident he is going to be an above average player, how much above average is really my only question.

Phrazbit and Mainstreet like this.
  14. cheesebeef

cheesebeef Registered User Contributor

james Jones never contributed like Cam has the last eight games. When his outside shot wasn’t happening, he was still cutting for layups and dunks (!) and even occasionally driving and creating for others.

I think the dude’s got a Kyle Korver career written all over him... and possibly better.

All James Jones could ever do was stand in the corner and be okay at best shooting threes until one of them actually mattered and he’d never hit the broad side of a barn.

15. 1Sun

1Sun Banned

I think a lot of you are forgetting what James Jones as a player did here and with the Heat. He was a solid role player who diversified his scoring game and could play some team defense and grab a few boards. He was never a key core contributor, but he was a solid 7th or 8th man.