Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm okay with where we are, roster-wise, although sure, we could use another big man or two. But then again, I haven't quite moved past that time in our lives where "depth" was more likely to refer to how deep of a hole we were in.

I think that's golf... if you're in a sand trap, keep swinging.

On a more serious note, I think we are the last generation that cares about debt, if that's what you are talking about.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that's golf... if you're in a sand trap, keep swinging.

On a more serious note, I think we are the last generation that cares about debt, if that's what you are talking about.
Nah, I was talking about the depth of the hole we'd usually be in by Christmas Day as we started looking forward to our upcoming draft picks.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nah, I was talking about the depth of the hole we'd usually be in by Christmas Day as we started looking forward to our upcoming draft picks.

Thankfully those days are behind us although I do miss the draft.

When the Suns start thinking about using draft picks again, the Suns will need to hire some scouts, think about buying a G-League team and question if James Jones is the right GM for the job.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thankfully those days are behind us although I do miss the draft.

When the Suns start thinking about using draft picks again, the Suns will need to hire some scouts, think about buying a G-League team and question if James Jones is the right GM for the job.
I think if you're in the upper tier of teams, you need to focus on scouting your opponents with lesser effort given to International play, G League, College and High School. So I believe in the approach that JJ has chosen, whether he's the long term answer or not is a different question.

Don't get me wrong, I love following the draft. But after watching so many high draft failures and realizing how critical luck is to the process (who's there, how far did you fall in the lottery and so on) I think there's less risk in going this way.

We may need to revisit how we deal with the draft and G League ownership when CP stops playing at a high level (or retires) but I think we're good until then.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think if you're in the upper tier of teams, you need to focus on scouting your opponents with lesser effort given to International play, G League, College and High School. So I believe in the approach that JJ has chosen, whether he's the long term answer or not is a different question.

Don't get me wrong, I love following the draft. But after watching so many high draft failures and realizing how critical luck is to the process (who's there, how far did you fall in the lottery and so on) I think there's less risk in going this way.

We may need to revisit how we deal with the draft and G League ownership when CP stops playing at a high level (or retires) but I think we're good until then.

Larger market teams have an easier time attracting free agents for sure. However, a team should always be concerned with acquiring cheap young talent for depth.

The Suns could easily put more money into scouting even if it's only scouting other NBA and G-League talent such as Cam Payne.

IMO, finding players in the draft and undrafted free agents is less about luck and more about scouting. The Heat do a great job in this area. Also there is always the possibility of finding a hidden gem.

The last player the Suns hit on who became a contributor for them is Goran Dragic who was a second round pick. He wasn't a lucky pick either. The Suns were scrambling to find another second round draft pick to get him. Ironically the Spurs were the trade partner.

The name of the last Suns scout I can remember and had confidence in was Dick Percudani. There is a lesson there somewhere.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose