Happy New league year 21-22 edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Report: Roger Goodell made $128 million over past two years

Because the NFL no longer operates as a tax-exempt trade association, the league has no requirement to publicly disclose Commissioner compensation. So it doesn’t.

That doesn’t mean Roger Goodell’s pay can’t be privately disclosed.

Ken Belson of the New York Times reports that Goodell made $128 million in the two-year period covering 2019-20 and 2020-21. Per the report, bonuses for completing a new labor deal and new TV contracts bolstered the total.

That’s an average, thanks to my well-honed math skills, of $64 million per year.

The period covers the pandemic, which triggered billions of dollars in losses for the NFL. It’s hard not to wonder how much more Goodell would have made over the past two years without the financial struggles created by the pandemic, which among other things caused the NFL to severely restrict spending. In 2020, for example, the NFL implemented furloughs and pay cuts in May 2020, after the draft.

Then again, maybe Goodell’s compensation wasn’t affected at all, given that he secured labor peace extending into the next decade and billions in broadcast revenue.

Belson’s report provides a rare glimpse into the earnings of the Commissioner. After the league decided to pivot from a structure that passed revenue through to the teams, which then paid the taxes, to a structure that pays taxes before distributions, information regarding Goodell’s compensation exited the public domain.

The bottom-line difference wasn’t significant. The move happened primarily due to P.R. considerations, because the league repeatedly was hounded by those who pointed out the tax-exempt status, and who created a false impression with the public that the NFL and its teams weren’t paying taxes at all.

Four years ago, Cowboys owner Jerry Jones opposed Goodell’s latest contract, arguing basically that the NFL was paying him too much money. Starting with the Ray Rice scandal in 2014, questions began to emerge regarding whether the league could pay someone else far less to do what Goodell does.

But what he does isn’t just preside over the generation of significant generational wealth. He’s the public pin cushion for unpopular decisions and policies, allowing the oligarchs to hide behind Big Shield while Goodell suffers the slings and arrows with a straight face.

Most recently, Goodell recited various talking points aimed at keeping the results of the Washington Football Team investigation secret. As NFL Players Association executive director DeMaurice Smith recently opined, Goodell won’t decide whether that information becomes public. The oligarchs make the call.

Goodell is simply the messenger. And he’s very well compensated for his efforts to provide cover for those who prefer their wealth and fame without a side of criticism and scrutiny.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Matt LaFleur’s 33-7 record is best through 40 games of any coach in Super Bowl era

Packers coach Matt LaFleur is off to an incredible start to his coaching career.

After beating the Cardinals on Thursday Night Football, LaFleur is now 33-7 through his first 40 regular-season games. That’s the best of any head coach in the Super Bowl era. LaFleur’s regular-season winning percentage of .825 is the best of any coach in NFL history who coached at least 25 games.

Yes, LaFleur inherited a team with a first-ballot Hall of Fame quarterback in Aaron Rodgers, but Rodgers was on the Packers the year before LaFleur arrived, and they went 6-9-1. The Packers had only won more than 12 games in a season once with Rodgers before LaFleur arrived, and now they’ve gone 13-3 in 2019, 13-3 in 2020 and 7-1 to start the 2021 season.

LaFleur’s playoff record is only 2-2, and until he gets the Packers to the Super Bowl, he won’t be recognized as one of the sport’s great coaches. But in the regular season, he’s finding unprecedented success.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
This.

Still amazes me that with all their money they can't have someone else drive
I remember a story about Leonard Little of the Rams, back in the day...He killed a woman, while driving drunk, but the league rules weren't as strict and he got to play again. The husband of the woman he killed, ironically, was a sports photographer who routinely covered Rams games. When Little came back to play, the husband had the team/NFL make an agreement that he could still cover Rams games, but he didn't have to include any pictures of Little. I can't imagine will being there every week, doing your job, while the guy who killed your wife still gets to play football and make million$.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I remember a story about Leonard Little of the Rams, back in the day...He killed a woman, while driving drunk, but the league rules weren't as strict and he got to play again. The husband of the woman he killed, ironically, was a sports photographer who routinely covered Rams games. When Little came back to play, the husband had the team/NFL make an agreement that he could still cover Rams games, but he didn't have to include any pictures of Little. I can't imagine will being there every week, doing your job, while the guy who killed your wife still gets to play football and make million$.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...er-made/38a474b6-18e3-4fe7-ab62-2a93c7027fca/

Reaction score
I would have given it back to Brady, but not at that time. I would have simply given the person asking for it my number and said have him call me for the ball. Like anything, I would want to research what it would fairly be worth. Tom is probably a billionaire, money is no object to him whatsoever. Would you sell a winning powerball ticket worth a million or more to a rich guy who offers you a couple thousand dollars just because he is a nice guy.
Brady himself said last night that the guy lost all his bargaining power the moment he gave up the ball.

He's worth a few hundred million but he's not a billionaire. Yet.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
He's worth a few hundred million but he's not a billionaire. Yet.

If not, he has a very conservative financial advisor. As much as the stock market has risen in the last 12 years, I would just assume most millionaires would have become billionaires by now. But who knows besides Brady himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.