Hanson

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My wife is a huge Hanson fan, and thanks to thirty two, I was aware that they were going to have a concert last night at the new Nita's Hideaway at the 101 and Southern.

Surprised my wife with the tix the day before the show. Kind of a birthday/10.5 years' anniversary present (dating 7, married 3.5).

Great show. Played most of the songs from Underneath, their new acoustic cd, available only at the shows or online. Played a lot from their last cd, This Time Around. And of course they did MMBop and some older stuff. They really did well on some cover songs also. They did Summertime Blues, Whip It Up, and Teach Your Children. That's the type of music they were influenced by growing up.

The audience was mixed. There were still some teenies drooling over the brothers, but for the most part the crowd was in their 20's and 30's.

It was a great time. It's always good to see musicians that write their own material, play their own instruments (harmonica, drums, bongo drum, piano, guitars, tambourine, etc), and really put their heart into the show. I've seen far too many acts simply go through the motions.

Thanks again, Kate. Sorry you had to miss it.

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Holy Crap. Good to see that they at least are still pressing on after the whole bubblegum pop music blowup and fall.

I used to go to Nita's ALL THE TIME. Played there a couple of times as well. Great old sh*thole. Did they fix it all up? Or is it still a dump?

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by schutd
I used to go to Nita's ALL THE TIME. Played there a couple of times as well. Great old sh*thole. Did they fix it all up? Or is it still a dump?

They completely moved from the old location that was near Rio Salado and McClintock. Now they're at Price and Southern. It's located in a huge wood/metal shed looking building that was a steakhouse of some kind. Some booths along the far walls, a bar right in the middle of the room (reminded me of the Star Wars cantina bar), and a stage that everyone simply crowds around to watch the show.

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Originally posted by Brian in Mesa
They completely moved from the old location that was near Rio Salado and McClintock. Now they're at Price and Southern. It's located in a huge wood/metal shed looking building that was a steakhouse of some kind. Some booths along the far walls, a bar right in the middle of the room (reminded me of the Star Wars cantina bar), and a stage that everyone simply crowds around to watch the show.

Its not a big red barn looking thing is it?

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks again, Kate. Sorry you had to miss it.

I am glad you and your wife enjoyed the show! Hopefully, I'll get to see my boys another time, maybe when they come to Milwaukee.

Anyway, was the show entirely acoustic? Or just the songs from Underneath?

And Chandler Mike, "Bimmbop" is probably one of the funniest things I have read today, heh. :thumbup:

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its not a big red barn looking thing is it?

No, all wood exterior with silver metal on the roof and upper sides. It's not that old of a building in reality, so I'm sure the wood on the exterior is just a facade covering the real building.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
No, all wood exterior with silver metal on the roof and upper sides. It's not that old of a building in reality, so I'm sure the wood on the exterior is just a facade covering the real building.

I ate at that place when it was a steak house....never been more disappointed in my life.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Re: Re: Hanson

Originally posted by thirty two
I am glad you and your wife enjoyed the show! Hopefully, I'll get to see my boys another time, maybe when they come to Milwaukee.

Anyway, was the show entirely acoustic? Or just the songs from Underneath?

I bet they always do "Man From Milwaukee" when they go to Milwaukee. :D

Anyway, entirely acoustic. Ike only played the guitar, but Tay played piano, guitar, and tambourine. Zach played the drums, a bongo drum, a harmonica, the tambourine, piano and some guitar (he's still learning).

One cool part of the show was that each got to do a solo song at different points in the show. Zach was first. Ike and Tay left the stage and Zach played and sang a song from the piano. Then later on, Zach and Tay left while Ike played guitar and sang a song. And finally, later in the show, Zach and Ike left and Tay played and sang an unreleased song of theirs from the piano.

During the entire show they were interacting with the crowd. Talking, making some jokes, etc. Real relaxed and fun atmosphere.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Re: Re: Hanson

Originally posted by thirty two

And Chandler Mike, "Bimmbop" is probably one of the funniest things I have read today, heh. :thumbup:

I'll drink to that!

:cheers:

Mike

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Re: Re: Re: Hanson

I bet they always do "Man From Milwaukee" when they go to Milwaukee. :D

:D

Thanks for the review Brian, it sounded like a great concert. And Zac did a solo? Ahhh! As much as I love their full live shows, their acoustic sets just floor me everytime. :cool:

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Multiple floors? ANd RYan, when you went there, did it have a bunch of antlers and crap hung all over the place? Sounds lile another place we played at, but I cant remember the name...

stompg

Registered
Reaction score
You're thinking of Minder Binders which is just down McClintock from where the old Nita's was. Terrible place to play. The sound absolutely gets sucked up by that cavernous ceiling. Nita's (old and new) has always had one of the best sound systems in Tempe.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ryanwb
I ate at that place when it was a steak house....never been more disappointed in my life.

And the back half used to be a gay dance bar - I was pretty disapointed with the quality of meat over there as well :D

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Originally posted by Dback Jon
And the back half used to be a gay dance bar - I was pretty disapointed with the quality of meat over there as well :D

Ugh, I just threw up in my mouth

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Originally posted by stompg
You're thinking of Minder Binders which is just down McClintock from where the old Nita's was. Terrible place to play. The sound absolutely gets sucked up by that cavernous ceiling. Nita's (old and new) has always had one of the best sound systems in Tempe.

Thats what I was thinking of. What a sucky place to play. My favorite shows in Phoenix sound wise, was the Q Fest punk vs. ska show in like 96 or something, After the Gold Ruch, which is now called something else now, IM sure, over on Apache, and Nita's. I LOVED playing Bostons, but sound was never that good. Does Boston's still do live shows? I guess the Old Nile Theater in Mesa did OK sound wise, too.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thats what I was thinking of. What a sucky place to play. My favorite shows in Phoenix sound wise, was the Q Fest punk vs. ska show in like 96 or something, After the Gold Ruch, which is now called something else now, IM sure, over on Apache, and Nita's. I LOVED playing Bostons, but sound was never that good. Does Boston's still do live shows? I guess the Old Nile Theater in Mesa did OK sound wise, too.

Minder Binders sucks. My dad used to take me there and get us burgers, etc years ago. Nice atmosphere, decent food. Used to play darts and games there too. Then later on, I took my wife there to grab something to eat on a Thursday night. They refused to let us in because she was a week and a half shy of 21, even though neither of us drink alcohol. I guess they wanted to avoid having to card people that night by only allowing 21 or older in the place. We didn't see any flyers or announcements for a group or anything and it was a Thursday, not a Fri or Sat, so the whole situation seemed very odd - so we left and never went back.

Just drove past Boston's the other day and it is gone. I'll go by again and see what it's now called.

justAndy

Jolly Nihilist
Reaction score
clubs...

Boston's became a Mexican dance club a 18 months ago, and burned down shortly thereafter. I saw a couple good shows there - GodHeadSilo, Slug, Man? or Astroman, Fu Manchu...
Played there once or twice...
I saw the BEST rock show EVER at the old Nita's - Lazy Cowgirls, Cosmic Psychos, Teengenerate, and New Bomb Turks - 4 bands, from 3 different nations.
Brian is a MAN for admitting to liking Hanson....

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose