Hallux Limitus of the great toe and Cheilectomy procedure

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I just had a Cheilectomy procedure on my big toe today.

I've had limited range of motion and arthritic pain in my big toe for the last few years. At first I thought it was turf toe and was largely able to live with the dull pain and occasional inflamation. Two years ago I went to a podiatrist for an ingrown toenail on the opposite foot and after x rays he told me I had hallux limitus which is a degenerative arthritic condition likely stemming from some sort of trauma in the past. Basically, bone spurs have grown on top of the joint causing limited motion and arthritic pain. The worst part is if you accidentally overextend the joint, the two bone growths collide and cause a sharp and intense pain.

You must be registered for see images attach

Earlier this summer I jumped off a diving board and the end result was me having to limp around for a few days. The initial pain was intense. I also stubbed the toe on a hike in June and overextended it a few times during the hike. That was the last straw for me.

It was really starting to limit my ability to be active and preventing me from doing things I still want to do and feel there is no reason to give up at age 38. I figured that now was the perfect time to get it corrected while I am working from home and we are in the dead of summer.

So I researched it online and met with my podiatrist. After another x-ray, he said I was a good candidate for a Cheilectomy, It's a joint preserving surgery where they just remove portions of both bones and the prognosis is very good. Other options include joint replacement for more severe cases as well as fusing of the joint for older patients. I believe Shaq had the surgery while he was playing and was still able to play at a high level afterwards.

I'm excited about the procedure and hopeful I can recover quickly, and I will be able perform athletically and operate daily with no pain in the future.

It's not an uncommon issue, so I will try to provide updates and answer questions for those interested as I recover and rehab. I'd loved to hear from others who have had the procedure.

jf-08

Administrator; Rules Creator
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keep us updated.

My big toe on my right foot is basically fused and I can't bend it due to arthritis from an injury I suffered when I was a kid. I have been unable to bend it since third grade.

I've never heard of this procedure before so I'm intrigued.

OP
OP
Folster

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Keep us updated.

My big toe on my right foot is basically fused and I can't bend it due to arthritis from an injury I suffered when I was a kid. I have been unable to bend it since third grade.

How painful is it? I'd be concerned about the joint after this long. It may not be salvageable. You should get it checked out especially if it's painful and limits your activity.

jf-08

Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How painful is it? I'd be concerned about the joint after this long. It may not be salvageable. You should get it checked out especially if it's painful and limits your activity.
Lol. It hurts almost every step I take, but it's my "normal" as I have been dealing with this for 42 years now so you are probably correct in that it is a lost cause.

I'm rooting for your recovery.

OP
OP
Folster

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lol. It hurts almost every step I take, but it's my "normal" as I have been dealing with this for 42 years now so you are probably correct in that it is a lost cause.

Ouch. I had mild pain while walking but severe pain with a stub or over extension.

A joint preservative option like Cheilectomy may not be right but a joint replacement or a fusion could really help. A joint fusion which would be the last option would leave you with the same range of motion you currently have, but no pain.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

have you tried biting it off?

jf-08

Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
have you tried biting it off?
Seriously, I've thought of chopping it off with a hatchet and then getting a screwed in spring-loaded metal big toe or something.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keep us updated.

Bro, get that ish checked out! Sounds awful!

OP
OP
Folster

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I had my first follow-up appointment today and got the bandages removed. I am able to move the joint with some pain and stiffness. I obviously have some swelling and bruising. I will be wearing a boot for another week and have to keep it dry. I have another f/u next week.

Pain is very low and I only took 3/10 of my pain pills. I probably didn't even need the 3rd, but I took to make sure I didn't get woken up on the 2nd night.

As far as cost of the surgery: 1400 for my doctor/surgeon. 1400 for the surgery center and we have yet to get the anesthesia bill. We are on the hook for 2K of it until our deductible is met, then 80% is covered. Luckily we have been funding our HSA over the last couple years. The high deductible plan has been working well for us so far.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caseyslayer