Guys I wish the Cards would interview for HC

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still want Trestman;

Marc Trestman

Former Dallas Cowboys coach and current FOX analyst Jimmy Johnson reported this weekend that Trestman had gotten the Bears job. While the report was premature, it was certainly appears to be rooted in something. As Emery's conducts in his final interviews, mostly everyone agrees Trestman is the clear favorite.

Yes, this would be a decidedly unorthodox hire. Trestman spent the last five years as the head coach of the Montreal Alouettes, compiling a 53-26 record, building a great offense and helping turn quarterback Anthony Calvillo into professional football's all-time leading passer.

The 56-year old Trestman has an NFL pedigree, too. He was in the NFL as a coordinator or quarterback coach from 1981-2004 and led some dynamic offenses. He worked with Bill Walsh and Steve Young. He played a hand in turning Rich Gannon into a Super Bowl quarterback. He even helped the likes of Jake Plummer and Scott Mitchell put up gaudy numbers.

Something else Trestman has working for him? He sounds very similar to Emery. Said Alouettes' GM Jim Popp:

He’s very articulate and he’s very organized – he’s one of the most organized people I’ve been around. He is well spoken. He is very good at speaking to the team. These are things that came out in the interviews when I was trying to figure out what the next best thing for our club was. He’s got that organizational skill set and I don’t doubt one bit that with his experience in the NFL he would be able to put together a great coaching staff together. He’s proven himself as a head coach at a professional level. You can call it what you want but on-hand training as a head coach and proof goes a long way, goes a real long way. You can’t replace that."

Trestman is known as a QB guru, and his bio notes that he's worked with both Jay Cutler and Jason Campbell at the NFL combine. At this point, it appears that if the next Bears coach is anyone other than Marc Trestman, it would be a major upset.....

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Well, I made the exception for the Holmgren/Walsh tree, but that's a bit of an aging sequoia, isn't it?

You can also say the same thing about the defensive side of the ball--Romeo Crennel (Bill Belichek) and a whole bunch of Monty Kiffin disciples (although Tony Dungy is an exception). Just off the top of my head.

Considering that the same teams win every year over a 5-10 year period how can you really judge how a Head Coach has turned out? Unless a new HC comes into a situation like Jim Harbaugh or Ken Whisenhunt where the roster is already mostly in place he doesn't have a chance. Especially in the AFC.

The Patriots have been in the playoffs 9 times in the last 10 seasons. Ravens 7 Green Bay 8. Colts 9. Steelers 6. 2000-2010 the Eagles were in the playoffs 9 times.

:D

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Money talks, he'd listen.

They just paid Keim 750K, the Cards are big budget :D.

That's the funny thing. Everyone is thinking how the cards are on a 'strict cheap-o goodwill budget'.

Who knows if that number is correct. If it is, perhaps that means we have MORE of a budget to hire a head coach and their preferred coordinators?

Though that is a guess. Whereas those that think the Cards are forever a lay away franchise would think theirs is a fact. No doubt with conviction.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Kyle Shanahan..... Roman from San Fran....... Brian Billick.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
Mike Martz.

I know, I know, the scoffs will be deafening but if Horton remains as DC and the defense plays as well as it has, Martz can improve the offense.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson