Grizzlies @ Suns Monday game thread 12-27-2021

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Way to easy especially when you know it's coming.
Exactly. That play was always going to be 100% morant driving. They allowed him to go right to the hole too. If they got in his way for even a second he doesn’t get the shot off. Really poor defense.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I’ll take any win however I can get it, but Memphis controlled the game from tip. It seemed for most of the game the team was a disorganized mess
Agree. Nothing had any flow. Paul wasn’t getting his spots. And defensively we were just seemingly slow everywhere.

ActingWild

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Could Monty have challenged that last bucket by Morant? I only saw the highlights but it looked to me like he landed before he shot the ball. So, I did a freeze frame and sure enough, Morant didn’t get the shot up before he came back down, (It looked like Booker had the block if Morant shot before hitting the ground, which I believe is why he held onto it that split second too long).

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Keeping Ja out of the paint is easier said than done. He might be the fastest guy in the nba.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keeping Ja out of the paint is easier said than done. He might be the fastest guy in the nba.

The Suns periodically have trouble building a wall.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Could Monty have challenged that last bucket by Morant? I only saw the highlights but it looked to me like he landed before he shot the ball. So, I did a freeze frame and sure enough, Morant didn’t get the shot up before he came back down, (It looked like Booker had the block if Morant shot before hitting the ground, which I believe is why he held onto it that split second too long).
Hard for Monty to challenge anything while quarantined in his bedroom

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Morant did that earlier in the game as well which was quite obvious. The referees don't call it.

Also he is allowed to carry the ball.

DesertDevil

Reaction score
Big positive for me: Effort level was high with the Suns fighting back and showing they wanted to win despite being behind almost entire game. Big improvement from GSW game.

Give credit to the Griz. They didn't let up

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Morant did that earlier in the game as well which was quite obvious. The referees don't call it.

Also he is allowed to carry the ball.
Kobe did that quite often. Landed then just got his pass or shot off.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
they shouldn't even suit up Payton
he played a total of 15 minutes his last 2 games, threw away 2 passes and got his shot blocked 3 times

i don't think we ever had a worse decision-maker at the point

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
I think the thing that bugged me the most about this loss is that the Morant basket completely negated Booker’s three. All I see on twitter is “Ja’s a bad man” and clips of his shot. That moment could of easily been Bookers and my twitter timeline could of been filled with his accolades.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think the real killer in this game was McGee, easily his worst game of the year and an example of why he is more energy guy than someone you want starting on a regular basis. He got banged around by Adams, he couldn't keep up on the perimeter screens he was forced to cover and committed a lot of frustration fouls (although his last foul was BS). Love what McGee has brought this year but damn... did we ever miss Ayton tonight.

Smith was much more effective tonight, the fastest and most decisive I've seen him play. Adams tossed him around a couple times (but Adams tosses almost everyone around), but he held his own out there and looked like a real player. I wish we'd kept him out there in the 4th. He was a big part of us getting back in the game in the early 4th and then a big part again as we took the lead.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
Smith was much more effective tonight, the fastest and most decisive I've seen him play. Adams tossed him around a couple times (but Adams tosses almost everyone around), but he held his own out there and looked like a real player. I wish we'd kept him out there in the 4th. He was a big part of us getting back in the game in the early 4th and then a big part again as we took the lead.
No doubt, this was by far the best he's been. Was he perfect? No, he passed out of a couple short layups, brought the ball down low around Memphis' guards too often and his 3s are still a bit shakey. But, he rebounded well (especially on the offensive end), played reasonable defense, and played within himself.

Given more reps (which is all but guaranteed with DA out), he might still turn out to be a servicable player.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No doubt, this was by far the best he's been. Was he perfect? No, he passed out of a couple short layups, brought the ball down low around Memphis' guards too often and his 3s are still a bit shakey. But, he rebounded well (especially on the offensive end), played reasonable defense, and played within himself.

Given more reps (which is all but guaranteed with DA out), he might still turn out to be a servicable player.
He was a heck of a lot better than McGee. He should have been in instead of McGee before McGee fouled out

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Jalen Smith I see now is much improved over the player I saw in summer league. He has improved that quickly.

It's a shame the Suns didn't give him much of a chance before not picking up his option.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
For every good game like tonight, there are 10 0fers. Let's not start proclaiming him as the next big thing. Geez.

Josh Jackson and Dragan Bender occasionally had good games like this. Remember that.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The difference is, Jalen Smith is only a second year player who didn't get much playing time last season and is only getting a significant chance now.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
The difference is, Jalen Smith is only a second year player who didn't get much playing time last season and is only getting a significant chance now.
There are pretty good reasons why he didn't get playing time. He's just not a good player. You absolutely love the guy, like you do most marginal players, but with no real reasons why.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
For every good game like tonight, there are 10 0fers. Let's not start proclaiming him as the next big thing. Geez.

Josh Jackson and Dragan Bender occasionally had good games like this. Remember that.
Don't think anybody was proclaiming anything close to the 'next big thing'. I think we're hoping he can be something like a 10th / 11th man, which is going to be needed if the rest of the team gets ravaged by Covid like so many other teams.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are pretty good reasons why he didn't get playing time. He's just not a good player. You absolutely love the guy, like you do most marginal players, but with no real reasons why.
My issue last night was that he was outplaying McGee by a long shot for that game and should have stayed in.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
My issue last night was that he was outplaying McGee by a long shot for that game and should have stayed in.
That's on McGee for sure. I'm not arguing that Jalen Smith had a good game, he did. But Mainstreet and other people here are proclaiming that this is normal for him, and it is most certainly NOT.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
People like Chaplin should speak for themselves because they cannot accurately speak for other people.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose