Grizzlies @ Suns 3-21-16

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Grizzlies play at the Suns tonight with a 7 p.m. Arizona tip-off.

Here are the starting lineups from Paul Coro at azcentral.

C: Tyson Chandler … Ryan Hollins

PF: Alex Len … Zach Randolph

SF: P.J. Tucker … Matt Barnes

SG: Devin Booker … Tony Allen

PG: Brandon Knight … Ray McCallum

Key Grizzlies reserves: Lance Stephenson, Jeff Green, Vince Carter, Jordan Farmar, Xavier Munford.

Key Grizzlies injuries: Marc Gasol (right foot fracture), Mike Conley (left Achilles tendon), Chris Andersen (left shoulder subluxation), P.J. Hairston (left groin strain), Brandan Wright (right knee sprain) and Jordan Adams (knee surgery) are out.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/spor...dule-decide-suns-draft-lottery-odds/82089484/

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
PJ Tucker with 8 points already in the 1st quarter. Booker has 5 points.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'd imagine Memphis has had this game circled on their calendar after a few embarrassing losses to Phoenix. They still have Gasol and Wright in addition to Chris Anderson leaving them really thin in the front court. It's not often Phoenix has such an edge in size but against a team like Memphis who has had Gasol and Randolph locking down their starting frontcourt for the past few years it's really odd. Memphis missing Conley hurts them pretty bad also. Conley is obviously their best passer and playmaker but with him being out as the same time as Gasol their offense is really suffering. Gasol is one of the best playmakers amongst big men and can run an offense from the post, playing inside out.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not missing Matt Barnes or Vince Carter being in a Suns uniform.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chandler is reportedly out the second half with lower back spasms.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Knight is just awful!

He really is. I can't stand either Knight or Tucker on this team. Both of them make occasional good plays, but those are outweighed by the soul-crushing repetition of the same idiotic mistakes, over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so, we're headed for another meaningless win. oh joy, oh rapture!

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They can still lose this. Best chance to do so would be to tell Knight to take over offensively. Let him handle the ball and take most, if not all, of the remaining shots. He'll probably have 1 more turnover in addition to 2 shots that make you wonder what he's thinking.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
He really is. I can't stand either Knight or Tucker on this team. Both of them make occasional good plays, but those are outweighed by the soul-crushing repetition of the same idiotic mistakes, over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

At least Tucker plays defense from time to time, and he gets some rebounds, makes some hustle plays. Knight just doesn't do anything. His basketball IQ makes Bledsoe's look like that of Steve Nash.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At least Tucker plays defense from time to time, and he gets some rebounds, makes some hustle plays. Knight just doesn't do anything. His basketball IQ makes Bledsoe's look like that of Steve Nash.

They're both valuable occasionally (closer to rarely) and horrible the rest of the time. But Tucker, booze DUI notwithstanding, is a far more likable player when each are at their best.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Suns were more than capable of winning this game but they shouldn't because of ping-pong balls. They can't hand the game over completely but they can easily do a few little things to let Memphis get the win.

Down 4, with Memphis headed to the line. The game should be over. Only let Knight shoot if they get the ball back and don't bother fouling Memphis anymore.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Knowledgeable Suns fans can breathe a sigh of relief.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Knight should be the go-to guy in all close games. He's a horrible ball handler, bad playmaker, and his shot IQ is awful. They could do that without giving the appearance they're throwing the game. It's better than the idea of drawing up a 3 for Chandler, like someone else suggested. Knight was a borderline all star in Milwaukee before coming here, he has talent and even shown some of that here in Phoenix but not consistently or as a point guard. Him failing to take over and lead us to wins in close games shouldn't hurt his trade value. I don't think any team in the league is under the illusion that he could or should be the #1 option, it's his play during the first 3 1/2 quarters that reduces his value.

Worst case scenario is Knight gets better in crunch time and starts making better passes in addition to taking better shots. That would be a plus if he stays here long term, which I'm not advocating but we're stuck with him through seasons end. Surely the rookies/youngsters would understand why the ball is being put in his hands late in the game as he's the most established guard who is healthy. Casual fans or NBA fans who don't follow the Suns closely might think that's a good decision also. Educated Suns fans would realize they're doing it for tanking purposes and anybody on the tank train would probably support it.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Thank god we didn't pick up another pointless win.

I think it was Catlover or someone else who said that bringing Knight back would hurt the tank somehow...I disagree even though Suns have won some games since his return, I just don't think those wins are because of him.

If anything, he's the best tank commander out of all tanking teams in the NBA.

Selfish - check
High volume player- check
Can't dribble - check
Can't pass - check
Takes horrible shots - check
Huge ego - check
Extremely selfish - check
Can't defend - check
Idiot - check

I can't think of any players on the other tanking teams who get good playing time who can check all the boxes. Nick Young is the closest one but he doesn't even get much playing time on the Lakers.

I seriously hope they rid themselves of Knight this summer. Yes McD will have egg on his face for giving up a top Lakers pick for him but who cares at this point.

Btw does anyone still think that Knight is a better player than a player that will be picked with the Lakers pick or after (when 76ers acquire it)?

I laughed at that theory then and I'm still laughing at it now.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Thank god we didn't pick up another pointless win.

I think it was Catlover or someone else who said that bringing Knight back would hurt the tank somehow...I disagree even though Suns have won some games since his return, I just don't think those wins are because of him.

If anything, he's the best tank commander out of all tanking teams in the NBA.

I don't know that I said he'd spoil our tanking efforts, I'm pretty sure I just allowed for the possibility. I had said we probably wouldn't win more than 3 or 4 more games this season and my guess is I gave myself an out on this prediction if Knight returned and played well. He isn't fully healthy and he was coming back from a long layoff so I had no idea how well he'd play upon his return. So far, not well at all.

But as bad as Knight has been we've probably played a little better with him out there than we did with Price. We'd already received a lift when Price returned and replaced Goodwin and our 10 day contract PG's. Knight draws more defensive attention than Price or those other guys do which opens things up for the rest of the team. Things tighten up again once the other team realizes Knight is going to shoot 13% from the field that night but for a little while, they have to play us like we have a real threat at the PG spot.

My concern with Knight isn't that he'll suddenly make us a good team, we're too outmatched for that to happen. But he has the ability to take over a game and carry us to an unnecessary win. If we really must have the occasional win I want it to be the result of improved play from Booker and Len, not because Knight or Tucker had a rare good game.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I want Booker to shoot better again.

I'm seriously not worried. He is a 19 year old, he is carrying a huge offensive burden on a really untalented team and he is well beyond the most minutes of competitive basketball he has played previously in his life. And even so, he is still sprinkling 30 point games here and there.

I also think playing with Knight has been... an adjustment, to say the least. The first half of March his shooting touch was pretty good.

I think he will play far better with Bledsoe than Knight. Eric, as we saw when he was partnered with Goran, is much more willing to split ball handling duties than Knight is, I also think that Bledsoe is a far more willing passer, he isn't necessarily a good passer, but Knight generally only relinquishes the ball when his own opportunities seem exhausted, Bledsoe does a lot more drive and dish attempts. I think/hope Booker will help greatly with one of Bledsoe's biggest weaknesses, his habit of drawing in the defense with penetration but not planning his pass before he makes it. Booker's range will keep the defense more honest and give Bledsoe a no-brainer kick out man for when the defense does collapse.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I'm seriously not worried. He is a 19 year old, he is carrying a huge offensive burden on a really untalented team and he is well beyond the most minutes of competitive basketball he has played previously in his life. And even so, he is still sprinkling 30 point games here and there.

I also think playing with Knight has been... an adjustment, to say the least. The first half of March his shooting touch was pretty good.

I think he will play far better with Bledsoe than Knight. Eric, as we saw when he was partnered with Goran, is much more willing to split ball handling duties than Knight is, I also think that Bledsoe is a far more willing passer, he isn't necessarily a good passer, but Knight generally only relinquishes the ball when his own opportunities seem exhausted, Bledsoe does a lot more drive and dish attempts. I think/hope Booker will help greatly with one of Bledsoe's biggest weaknesses, his habit of drawing in the defense with penetration but not planning his pass before he makes it. Booker's range will keep the defense more honest and give Bledsoe a no-brainer kick out man for when the defense does collapse.

I think replacing Tucker will help even more than the presence of Booker. Bledsoe had mostly stopped making that stupid jump in the air and look for a teammate move and only went back to it when the defense started closing down passing and penetrating lanes earlier than expected. If the defense has to actually guard Tucker his man can no longer cheat into those lanes. Booker will hopefully make more out of the passes that Eric gives him but Knight was already filling that role fairly well (early in the season).