Greg Cosell scouting on K1

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Seems pretty accurate. Interesting that Cosell viewed Kliff's concepts a little more favorably than others have.
One of my contentions with people on this board bashing Kliff is that I see PLENTY of open receivers downfield that Murray doesn't seem to.

I can see bashing Kliff's situational football acumen, which I think most would say has been uneven to crappy, but I think there are plenty of opportunities missed for a litany of reasons.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
One of my contentions with people on this board bashing Kliff is that I see PLENTY of open receivers downfield that Murray doesn't seem to.

I can see bashing Kliff's situational football acumen, which I think most would say has been uneven to crappy, but I think there are plenty of opportunities missed for a litany of reasons.
Exactly what you said. The East West bubble screens make my blood boil but maybe they will work with Moore now? Also never seemed to get any good blocking on those screens either. I hope KM starts to see things develop down field & also hope he learns to throw the damn ball away instead of running out of bounds for a 2 yard loss lol.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Exactly what you said. The East West bubble screens make my blood boil but maybe they will work with Moore now? Also never seemed to get any good blocking on those screens either. I hope KM starts to see things develop down field & also hope he learns to throw the damn ball away instead of running out of bounds for a 2 yard loss lol.

I think the problem with running a Kirk-Hopkins bubble was that the defense could pretty much basically ignore the other side of the field with Fitzgerald on that side.

The bubble is really just an extension of the running game. Getting three yards is not a horrible play, but the problem is that the Cardinals couldn't get more than like seven yards last year. The offense has to get a few chunk plays from that play every once and awhile.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I will admit Murray may be more to blame for our lackluster passing game than I would like to admit, possibly due to his height.

one thing I do not understand from a coaching perspective though is the complete lack of rollouts that might help to mitigate that.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I will admit Murray may be more to blame for our lackluster passing game than I would like to admit, possibly due to his height.

one thing I do not understand from a coaching perspective though is the complete lack of rollouts that might help to mitigate that.
Rollouts limit passing game options to one side of the field. Murray needs to climb the pocket. It's hard to see down field when you are drifting back all of the time. He needs to learn to trust his protection more.

Hoodhero

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
One good thing I noticed briefly from preseason is that Moore looks pretty good at the drop back drill & coming back to help qb when scrambling. Guessing his got it developed from his Purdue days playing with terrible qbs. Hopefully our new wr receiver coach got the guys trained up on that this yr.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Rollouts limit passing game options to one side of the field. Murray needs to climb the pocket. It's hard to see down field when you are drifting back all of the time. He needs to learn to trust his protection more.
The hope is the addition of Hudson will mean less pressure coming right up the gut right away!

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I think the problem with running a Kirk-Hopkins bubble was that the defense could pretty much basically ignore the other side of the field with Fitzgerald on that side.

The bubble is really just an extension of the running game. Getting three yards is not a horrible play, but the problem is that the Cardinals couldn't get more than like seven yards last year. The offense has to get a few chunk plays from that play every once and awhile.
We didn't see a lot of Kirk-Hopkins bubble screens because Fitz played almost exclusively from the slot last year (and sucked).

Kliff Kingsbury didn't run wide-open vertical passing offenses at Tech, A&M, etc. and then suddenly forget that you want to get the ball downfield. Either he forgot how football works when coming to the NFL or he's calling the plays that Kyler wants to run.

HomerPimpson

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Maybe, but sometimes you have to let talent be talent. Bill Parcels said Lawrence Taylor was all over the place his first two years, making up his own plays at times. Fran Tarkenton improvised his entire career and became a legend without winning a ring. With legendary coach Bud Grant! Who also didn't win the big one. It happens. Not everyone is Don Shula and coaching Johnny U and Dan Marino in one lifetime.