Greg Clarke resigns as FA chairman after telling MPs about 'coloured' footballers and...

ASFN Admin

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Greg Clarke, the Football Association chairman, has resigned amid a major backlash over remarks he made about race, sexuality and the women's game during a car crash appearance before MPs. The 63-year-old admitted a series of misjudged comments at the Digital, Culture, Media and Sport select committee had been "unacceptable" after members of the FA Board told him his position was untenable. Clarke has caused the FA serious harm — diverse institutions with progressive leaders do not make these mistakes He had initially been forced to apologise during the hearing after referring to "coloured" footballers while pontificating about the Government's failure to stop racist trolls. However, anti-discrimination campaigners and cross-party MPs were equally offended by comments he also made about the Asian community, schoolgirl footballers and the suggestion that being gay is a "life choice". Clarke later said in a statement: "My unacceptable words in front of Parliament were a disservice to our game and to those who watch, play, referee and administer it. This has crystallised my resolve to move on. I am deeply saddened that I have offended those diverse communities in football that I and others worked so hard to include." Peter McCormick will step into the role as interim FA Chairman with immediate effect and the FA Board begin the process of identifying and appointing a new chair. Clarke had made a series of disastrous comments to MPs five hours earlier, just moments after insisting to a hearing that "my standing in the game is absolutely fine".

Continue reading...