xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

This hurts

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
He must know how bleak the future of AZ football is. Not that it's a secret at this point.

Honestly, how many AD jobs are greater than Alabama? Has nothing to do with UofA as it still has a top end hoops program making the school a ton of money.

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score
This is a shock. I hadn't heard a peep about it and I usually hear a lot of stuff about the SEC here in New Orleans. Did anyone know this was coming? I feel like the football program is worse than when he got here.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
This is a shock. I hadn't heard a peep about it and I usually hear a lot of stuff about the SEC here in New Orleans. Did anyone know this was coming? I feel like the football program is worse than when he got here.

Was pretty quiet, which is how Byrne operates. As for the football program? Hard to say, but his influence got us into the Fiesta Bowl. The new AD will have to keep Miller happy and give RichRod an ultimatum.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

That has everything to do with RR not Byrne. No football coach at AZ has had anything close to the resources RR has had yet the fb program is still headed in a scary direction.

There's a guy currently at UCF who a leading candidate who went to UA and spent some time at UCLA. Sounds like everyone thinks he'd be a good hire. Mark Harlan.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That has everything to do with RR not Byrne. No football coach at AZ has had anything close to the resources RR has had yet the fb program is still headed in a scary direction.

There's a guy currently at UCF who a leading candidate who went to UA and spent some time at UCLA. Sounds like everyone thinks he'd be a good hire. Mark Harlan.

He had a mixed rep at UCLA largely hard to pin down because he sort of became the fall guy for every mistake Dan Guerrero made.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So he is going to go to work for Nick Saban. Tail wags the dog.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
So he is going to go to work for Nick Saban. Tail wags the dog.

Kind of like how Byrne worked for Sean Miller at Arizona, so Byrne has experience being lower on the food chain. Everyone in the AD at UofA knows that basketball butters the bread for the school. Byrne does an outstanding job building relationships with coaches, boosters, etc., and he knows the SEC cultrue being at MSU. He will do well at Alabama.

Last edited:

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
He had a mixed rep at UCLA largely hard to pin down because he sort of became the fall guy for every mistake Dan Guerrero made.

UCLA fans were coming at Guerrero with pitchforks for the Alford hire this time a year ago now he's COY with a potential title team. Bet he's breathing a sigh of relief.

Saw Gottlieb on twitter talking up Erika Hanson earlier...

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
UCLA fans were coming at Guerrero with pitchforks for the Alford hire this time a year ago now he's COY with a potential title team. Bet he's breathing a sigh of relief.

Saw Gottlieb on twitter talking up Erika Hanson earlier...

Yeah for the most part those fans were well organized by a few people who were using BRO and social media to recruit fans that were already unhappy with the bad year, to push the protest. You had the classic mob rules mentality where a bunch of people who on their own would never react that way, as a group started organizing fund raisers to fly banners and drive them around and effectively do things I thought were stupid and embarassing. The guy who organized much of that actually keeps trying to take credit for some of the turnaround this year he thinks the petition and banner prevented transfers and helped recruiting because the staff had to knuckle down. I do think all that nonsense contributed to Alford giving back his extension year, but that was it. This year is all about Lonzo and TJ and that was in place long before the protests.

FWIW insiders say Harlan played a large role in hiring Alford so if you consider that to be a poor hiring, it reflects poorly on Harlan as an AD candidate. People on BRO used to jokingly point out Harlan was an Arizona guy and maybe he hired Alford to sabotage UCLA.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
Don't know him, but Byrne and Del Conte have come out and gave glowing recommendations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose