Great Suns Moments to Lift Your Spirits...

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by Absolute Zero, Jun 2, 2020.

1. GatorAZ

GatorAZ Formerly known as GatorHater

Manning played 33 mpg prior to the injury. Wesley Person was also a rookie that year and shot 43% from 3.

Absolute Zero likes this.
  2. Raindog

Raindog Registered

I have to agree. But it's not really fair to compare players and teams from different eras.

Those Barkley teams had a ton of great depth, too. Probably much more than any other Suns teams of any other era.

3. BC867

BC867 Long time Phoenician! Contributor

Adams' best year (including statistically) was his first, when he took the league by surprise, as a Center in the body of a Wing.

He was never near powering the Suns to a championship. He was really a man without a position. And not a difference maker.

As history showed us. Being drafted into the NBA by his college coach, then coach of the Suns, asked too much of him.

On another team, as a fringe swing Forward, wouldn't have tied up the Suns center position with a light-weight for a decade.

4. Hoop Head

Hoop Head Registered

Here are the starting combos they used that year, 25 different lineups.

Most surprising to me is how the Suns were 21-3 with Barkley, Tisdale, Perry, Person, and either Klein or Schayes at Center.

Screen Shot 2020-06-03 at 7.58.22 PM.png

https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/PHO/1995_start.html

5. cwamjn

cwamjn Registered

Cool find. I'm going to guess that was the year kj had trouble stretching before games? I remember a year where he had nagging leg muscle pulls.

6. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero Registered User

Mainstreet likes this.
  7. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

Gerald Green was a walking highlight reel.

Absolute Zero and Hoop Head like this.
  8. elindholm

elindholm edited for content

What amazes me, though, is that the color commentator anticipated the strategy before it even unfolded. It must have been a pretty well-known rule.

9. Hoop Head

Hoop Head Registered

Were those games even aired live? I know a lot of games were tape delayed in the 70's and 80's but couldn't find anything definitive on whether the 76 finals were aired on a delay. If they were delayed though that could explain the commentators discussing it. There's no need to have commentators recording the play by play and commentary live if the game isn't airing live, they could record it later or even do the commentary live over the taped broadcast. They could easily cut that part before the play and explain that rule so fans knew what was coming without needing to add a bunch of explanations after the fact.

Here is some info about airing games delayed because they didn't want to pre-empt higher rated programs for it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Basketball_Association_on_television#History

In another Suns related note, game 6 vs the Bulls has the 2nd most viewers of any finals game next to game 6 in 98, Jordan's last finals game as a Bull. That was also considered his last game ever, at the time. Game 6 of the Suns/Bulls series drew 32.1 million viewers and the Jazz game drew 35.89 million. Here's info on that.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
  10. Raindog

Raindog Registered

The NBA Finals were always aired live, at least from the mid 1970s on. And the 1976 Finals were definitely aired in real time, as I watched every game and remember it well.

I was a kid growing up in Phoenix at the time, and this series was what made me a lifelong Suns fan. I remember it well, including the weekend games actually being played in the afternoon, outside of prime time - which is unheard of for any sports championship event these days (except the Super Bowl early start time), but was a common practice back in the day. The Game 6 won by the Celtics in Phoenix was an afternoon game.

In fact, the 1993-94 Suns and Bulls series was wrapped up on a Sunday afternoon, too - if anyone else recalls.

11. Yuma

Yuma Working from home. Missing my free coffee!

I also think he was in the league at a time when NBA Centers were arguably at a peak. So many great centers at that time. If you look back at his game, Adams would be one of the premier centers in today's NBA withg his play. A big that could spread the floor! Back in his day, Centers needed to play back to the basket and score within the paint. Poor Alvin was playing underweight basically against real bullies down low. It was amazing how long he playing against a much more physical NBA.

Mainstreet likes this.
  12. Yuma

Yuma Working from home. Missing my free coffee!

I still hate JoJo White! LOL!

13. Superbone

Superbone Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan

Yep, I vividly remember watching the '76, triple overtime game in my parents den with long, red shag carpet.

14. GatorAZ

GatorAZ Formerly known as GatorHater

There’s very few specific JJ vids with PHX but found b2b game clips. Man he could do it all.

15. Western Font

Western Font Registered

Bill Simmons always mentions Magic Johnson’s first finals being tape delayed as an example of how far the NBA has come. I checked and it looks like There were tape delays in the finals from 1979-81 on CBS. I’m a little too young to remember early round and weeknight games on tape delay. It’s funny to think about CBS not wanting local news to report the scores prior to broadcast.

Hoop Head likes this.