Gravity

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you see it? What's your take?

No, I haven't seen it. I'm just passing on information a friend gave me. This friend has suffered from mild motion sickness at times and really struggled through this movie. According to him, the urge to vomit was mostly due to visual stimulation rather than the plot. And by mostly, he meant 60% or so.

Steve

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Mother in Law (who is very cool) said she saw this in 3D and yelled "WHOA" so many times people were looking at her funny. :)

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kind of cheesy at times. But the acting was good and the visuals worth the price of admission all by themselves.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I liked it. The visuals were stunning and I would definitely recommend the 3D.

My only complaint was the final scene.
With everything that had already gone wrong, which was A LOT OF THINGS, lol I just thought the final scene with the capsule sinking and her having to shed the suit and swim to the surface was overkill and not necessary kindof like the killer popping up for the 100th time in a horror film just to have one final scare at the end. Just my 2 cents.

Murphys law really had it in for poor Sandra. :)

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw a clip of this on the Daily Show last night. For some reason, Clooney's voiceover talking to her while she was floating around or whatever, just seemed way to cheeseballs or annoying to me.

And I always end up distracted by how Bullocks face looks in her movies.

:(

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I saw a clip of this on the Daily Show last night. For some reason, Clooney's voiceover talking to her while she was floating around or whatever, just seemed way to cheeseballs or annoying to me.

And I always end up distracted by how Bullocks face looks in her movies.

:(

Oh, it was, especially since...
She's almost out of oxygen the whole time. Yeah, gee, let's frickin' CHAT when you're almost out of AIR. STOOO-PID! Only one of the idiotic writing gaffes that made me laugh out loud at this poor movie.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
If i am almost out of air, I am probably singing like a bird. Loved this movie. It was a movie, right? Entertainment? Not real? Thought so.

Stout

Reaction score
If i am almost out of air, I am probably singing like a bird. Loved this movie. It was a movie, right? Entertainment? Not real? Thought so.

Yeah, sure, but the veteran astronaut isn't playing 20 questions with you. It was a movie, yes. Poor entertainment. Not well written. Told you so. Blech.

I mean, just because it's fiction doesn't mean it has to be lazy. I can tune in to cable if I want to watch poorly written crap. If people want to clamor for a movie to garner Oscar attention, then they should probably try to make sure it isn't massively stupid.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, sure, but the veteran astronaut isn't playing 20 questions with you. It was a movie, yes. Poor entertainment. Not well written. Told you so. Blech.

I mean, just because it's fiction doesn't mean it has to be lazy. I can tune in to cable if I want to watch poorly written crap. If people want to clamor for a movie to garner Oscar attention, then they should probably try to make sure it isn't massively stupid.
:thumbup::thumbup:

BIGTONY

Registered
Reaction score
IM sorry ...Over Hyped ...:( Its Castaway The Movie In Space...Glad it was free for me...I give it two popcorns out of 10....

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
I loved it, but I saw it at the Ultrastar at the Scottsdale Pavilions. 3D and moving seats went perfectly with this flick.

Also, the first 20 minutes are one continuous shot. Love the technological innovations they made to make this movie.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score

Oscar consideration for direction, cinematography, sound, editing, and maybe acting. Definitely not writing.

Best movie? We will have to see what else comes out this year.

Last edited:

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that neither Peter Jackson or James Cameron invented CGI.

Yeah. I never said that. I said they invented specific technology to realize their visions.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
visually spectacular, especially in IMAX 3D. story was decent. lots of ticking clock/pressure cooker moments.

if you're gonna see it, see it in the biggest theater possible with 3D.

that being said, I simply don't buy George Clooney as a human being anymore. He's just a charmball in every movie. it's tired.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
visually spectacular, especially in IMAX 3D. story was decent. lots of ticking clock/pressure cooker moments.

if you're gonna see it, see it in the biggest theater possible with 3D.

that being said, I simply don't buy George Clooney as a human being anymore. He's just a charmball in every movie. it's tired.

Can totally agree with the bolded.

I saw this in an XD theatre with the upgraded sound in 3D. It was awesome!

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
I liked it. The visuals were stunning and I would definitely recommend the 3D.

My only complaint was the final scene.
With everything that had already gone wrong, which was A LOT OF THINGS, lol I just thought the final scene with the capsule sinking and her having to shed the suit and swim to the surface was overkill and not necessary kindof like the killer popping up for the 100th time in a horror film just to have one final scare at the end. Just my 2 cents.

Murphys law really had it in for poor Sandra. :)

New theory on that going around:

She didn't survive. Everything that happened after she turned off the oxygen was her soul completing the journey that her body never could.

Kinda fun to debate. Not really sure if I buy it.

http://www.thewrap.com/gravity-ending-seems-alternate-theory-spoilers/

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They say Hollywood is nothing but remakes, reboots, superheroes, and adapted materials (mostly teen lit). Nothing original comes out of there anymore.

Well here is something original at least.

Yes and no. The visuals were absolutely stunning yes but the story is not a new one, however, to my knowledge it's only the 2nd marooned in space movie that I know of with Marooned being the first(a movie I also saw the theatrical version when I was but knee high to a grasshopper). As for this movie, either see it in IMAX or 3D, I don't see standard 2D doing this movie any justice whatsoever.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Holy crap-a-mundo!!! Excellent, excellent film. Visually the most spectacular thing I have ever seen on the screen. Story was good, too. Bullock and Clooney did very good work.

Ok.... there were a few things that just didn't fly under real-world conditions, such as Clooney's jet pack flying far, far longer than possible, being relatively injury free after some of the really hard knocks they took, or surviving/staying conscious with some of the tremendous g-forces they were subjected to. But it's ok..... it's a movie, Garth!!!

4.5 stars.... loses half a star due to the good but not great story, and ignoring physics. :D

BTW, I saw this at the Wickenburg theatre, which has a large, standard screen and no 3D.... It was still awesome!!!

AZ Native

Reaction score
Holy crap-a-mundo!!! Excellent, excellent film. Visually the most spectacular thing I have ever seen on the screen. Story was good, too. Bullock and Clooney did very good work.

Ok.... there were a few things that just didn't fly under real-world conditions, such as Clooney's jet pack flying far, far longer than possible, being relatively injury free after some of the really hard knocks they took, or surviving/staying conscious with some of the tremendous g-forces they were subjected to. But it's ok..... it's a movie, Garth!!!

4.5 stars.... loses half a star due to the good but not great story, and ignoring physics. :D

BTW, I saw this at the Wickenburg theatre, which has a large, standard screen and no 3D.... It was still awesome!!!

Agreed!

AZ Native

Reaction score

I really have to disagree with you. It was great entertainment. Maybe not for you, but it appears you are in the business to some extent, so you see it from a different perspective. Every movie like this has holes in the plot you could drive a truck through. You watch it and see it with your own eyes and perspective, I watch it for purely entertainment and I see it my way. RT has it 97/87, so I guess I am not alone. Obviously you are 100 times smarter when it come to critiquing films than I am, and I don't question that. I'd rather sit back and enjoy the movie from the entertainment stand point, than to tear it apart. I loved the original "Back to the Future" and it had more holes in the plot than swiss cheese. I still enjoyed it, as did most everyone else.

Stout

Reaction score
I really have to disagree with you. It was great entertainment. Maybe not for you, but it appears you are in the business to some extent, so you see it from a different perspective. Every movie like this has holes in the plot you could drive a truck through. You watch it and see it with your own eyes and perspective, I watch it for purely entertainment and I see it my way. RT has it 97/87, so I guess I am not alone. Obviously you are 100 times smarter when it come to critiquing films than I am, and I don't question that. I'd rather sit back and enjoy the movie from the entertainment stand point, than to tear it apart. I loved the original "Back to the Future" and it had more holes in the plot than swiss cheese. I still enjoyed it, as did most everyone else.

Oh, I agree that there are times to sit back and ignore the cheese. Back to the Future--hells to the yeah, that movie rocked. And I appreciate your extremely tasteful message too, even though I'm in the minority on this opinion. When a movie says they're uber-serious, going to contend for awards, are ground breaking, yadda yadda yadda...that's when I refuse to except cheesy plot holes you can drive a truck through. The birthing symbolism in that one scene was just lame-o.

But, like I said, I'm in the minority. I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade or anything.