Grand Funk Railroad

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mark, Don and Mel. Loved them. Mark and Don came out of Terry Knight and the Pack, a garage band that had a nice cover of the Drifters classic "I Who Have Nothing". Mel came from the band that gave us the garage super hit 96 Tears (? and the Mysterians). Terry Knight put them together as GFR and managed them.

Knight was murdered about 20 years ago trying to save his daughter from a drug addled and abusive boyfriend (maybe ex-boyfriend?). The last I heard, Mark Farmer was doing Christian rock and Don and Mel still tour with the band (and Don drums off and on for Bob Seger).

Girls aside, my high school years were all about Grand Funk, Rolling Stones and the Doors. Oh, to be young again, stoned, and rocking out to Closer to Home or Heartbreaker.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really liked the song "America Band" by Grand Funk Railroad. It still rocks out as good as ever.

Whatever happened to beat.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Mark, Don and Mel. Loved them. Mark and Don came out of Terry Knight and the Pack, a garage band that had a nice cover of the Drifters classic "I Who Have Nothing". Mel came from the band that gave us the garage super hit 96 Tears (? and the Mysterians). Terry Knight put them together as GFR and managed them.

Knight was murdered about 20 years ago trying to save his daughter from a drug addled and abusive boyfriend (maybe ex-boyfriend?). The last I heard, Mark Farmer was doing Christian rock and Don and Mel still tour with the band (and Don drums off and on for Bob Seger).

Girls aside, my high school years were all about Grand Funk, Rolling Stones and the Doors. Oh, to be young again, stoned, and rocking out to Closer to Home or Heartbreaker.

Indeed. And, it's Mark Farner I believe (not being snarky, just sayin') :)

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Indeed. And, it's Mark Farner I believe (not being snarky, just sayin') :)

Ahh, man, you're right. I'm wiped out from this friggin' flu, I should have just googled it. I guess I could find solace in the fact I didn't call them Marc, Dawn and Mail.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still say "party down". When I do, the young people are so impressed that they tell me how hip and fresh I am.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm over the flu (I think) but the cough is still beating me up. My wife is still struggling with a host of flu symptoms. Yesterday she offered to sell our grandchildren for a good night's sleep. I reminded her that we have no grandchildren.

Thanks for asking.

The flu is a bear. I'd offer my grandchildren for sacrifice, but I don't have any either. I hope you and the Mrs get relief soon.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey! You're very hip and fresh too! :cheers:

Yeah, I'm pretty groovy. Now I'm off to wash my bell bottom corduroys. Come to think of it, I still have a pair or two hidden away for that day when I can again wear a 30 inch waist.