Gotham (FOX)

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gotham (FOX)

http://www.newsarama.com/20272-fox-casts-gotham-s-james-gordon-and-he-once-played-batman.html

Ben McKenzie, the former star of TNT's cop drama Southland and Fox's teen drama The O.C. has been cast in the lead role of James Gordon in Fox's Gotham. Interestingly, the 35 year-old McKenzie also once voiced Bruce Wayne/Batman in 2011's DC animated adaptation of Frank Miller's Batman: Year One.

McKenzie will share the screen with a still-to-be cast teen or pre-teen Bruce Wayne, and Gotham will be as much of an origin story for Batman as for Gordon, Fox entertainment president Kevin Reilly reportedly confirmed last month at the Television Critics Association's winter press tour. "It's Gotham teetering on the edge," Reilly reportedly said. "This is all of the classic Batman characters."

Characters like Alfred, the Joker, the Riddler, Penguin and Catwoman are all expected to eventually find their way into the series.

"This is not one of the things where you bought a franchise and then none of characters people know," Reilly revealed according to THR. "We will follow Bruce Wayne right up until the point where he gets interesting."

Meaning the series is designed to ultimately end when Bruce becomes Batman, as Smallville ended when Clark Kent finally became a full-fledged Superman.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Joker and Catwoman showing up in a time when Batman/Bruce Wayne is a pre-teen/teen. Guess continuity isn't going to be this show's strong suit.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gotham (FOX)

http://www.newsarama.com/20272-fox-casts-gotham-s-james-gordon-and-he-once-played-batman.html

Ben McKenzie, the former star of TNT's cop drama Southland and Fox's teen drama The O.C. has been cast in the lead role of James Gordon in Fox's Gotham. Interestingly, the 35 year-old McKenzie also once voiced Bruce Wayne/Batman in 2011's DC animated adaptation of Frank Miller's Batman: Year One.

McKenzie will share the screen with a still-to-be cast teen or pre-teen Bruce Wayne, and Gotham will be as much of an origin story for Batman as for Gordon, Fox entertainment president Kevin Reilly reportedly confirmed last month at the Television Critics Association's winter press tour. "It's Gotham teetering on the edge," Reilly reportedly said. "This is all of the classic Batman characters."

Characters like Alfred, the Joker, the Riddler, Penguin and Catwoman are all expected to eventually find their way into the series.

"This is not one of the things where you bought a franchise and then none of characters people know," Reilly revealed according to THR. "We will follow Bruce Wayne right up until the point where he gets interesting."

so, we can look forward to a boring Bruce Wayne? pretty sure Kevin Reilly would like to revise this last statement.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so, we can look forward to a boring Bruce Wayne? pretty sure Kevin Reilly would like to revise this last statement.

Right! I mean I am not a continuity freak and you had to suspend that aspect even with Smallville. I think they were successful. However, unlike Clark who had his power even BEFORE he was Superman, we are supposed to follow and care about a young Bruce why?

I guess some back story of some of these villains might be interesting but the rest of the characters I am not so sure. Are we going to see him running around a la the "blur" (Smallville) for most of the series as some masked stranger helping people? Honestly, Smallville took to long to transition from the "blur" and it became annoying.

I am not as excited about this show.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right! I mean I am not a continuity freak and you had to suspend that aspect even with Smallville. I think they were successful. However, unlike Clark who had his power even BEFORE he was Superman, we are supposed to follow and care about a young Bruce why?

I guess some back story of some of these villains might be interesting but the rest of the characters I am not so sure. Are we going to see him running around a la the "blur" (Smallville) for most of the series as some masked stranger helping people? Honestly, Smallville took to long to transition from the "blur" and it became annoying.

I am not as excited about this show.

haha...I think Bruce will basically be batman without the suit, kinda like Clark was becoming Supes without the suit. I just think Kevin Reilly made a really stupid sounding statement.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Smallville had a built in deus ex machina: The kryptonite storm. It just got it all out of the way and we could expect the super-charged bad guy/girl of the week. It borrowed/changed Superman canon whenever convenient, and it was OK because they had already explained that universe's paradigm. And it didn't really matter, because Superman canon was already a tortured one between comics, TV and movies.

Batman? I suppose it's not a righteous canon, either, but there's no obvious supernatural nature to draw from, no alien technology, no aliens. Crow-baring that whole backstory into a dirty pool of teen angst doesn't make any sense. I can imagine some darker story arcs, but based on casting, I wouldn't anticipate it. Instead, it has a look/feel of a Batman 90210, which a bunch of moody haircuts driving around in product placements, hooking up in the basement of the Wayne Manor. Blech.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Smallville had a built in deus ex machina: The kryptonite storm. It just got it all out of the way and we could expect the super-charged bad guy/girl of the week. It borrowed/changed Superman canon whenever convenient, and it was OK because they had already explained that universe's paradigm. And it didn't really matter, because Superman canon was already a tortured one between comics, TV and movies.

Batman? I suppose it's not a righteous canon, either, but there's no obvious supernatural nature to draw from, no alien technology, no aliens. Crow-baring that whole backstory into a dirty pool of teen angst doesn't make any sense. I can imagine some darker story arcs, but based on casting, I wouldn't anticipate it. Instead, it has a look/feel of a Batman 90210, which a bunch of moody haircuts driving around in product placements, hooking up in the basement of the Wayne Manor. Blech.

Batman is cool, but the property is now so villain-centric. Batman himself is difficult to develop because the reality is that he is pretty boring.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Batman is cool, but the property is now so villain-centric. Batman himself is difficult to develop because the reality is that he is pretty boring.

I wouldn't call him boring. He is what he is and that is all business.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

That's kind of where I was going. I mean this really can't center around Bruce and succeed can it? It almost has to be centered around Gordon and him going after bad guys. Back story for each villain is not going to take you through the entire series.

Again, if they are going to throw Bruce in some dark cloths with a mask and call him "Night Vigilante", Smallville and now Arrow have done that to death.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
10 year old Bruce Wayne? that's weird. Okay...I have no idea how this show is going to work.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow....this news is just well....not something to excite the fans. Seriously? The show is going to be centered around Gordon and they keep saying it's not a "Batman" show but.....who are they kidding?

Fans are going to watch this show to find out more about Batman and to see this kid grow up to be Batman.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nailed it :D

with Donald Logue and Ben McKenzie as the leads, this doesn't say CW to me. Both of those guys have been on pretty gritty shows. And I've got to assume that with Bruce Wayne being as young as he is, he won't be all that much of focus point in the series...which will probably be a little odd.

i literally have no clue how this show is going to work.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
with Donald Logue and Ben McKenzie as the leads, this doesn't say CW to me. Both of those guys have been on pretty gritty shows. And I've got to assume that with Bruce Wayne being as young as he is, he won't be all that much of focus point in the series...which will probably be a little odd.

i literally have no clue how this show is going to work.

What are you talking about? Southland and SoA are perfect matches for the CW. :p

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
This CW bashing is strange--did none of you watch Nikita? As non-CW a show as you'll ever see.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
What are you talking about? Southland and SoA are perfect matches for the CW. :p

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images

Don't forget Vikings!

This CW bashing is strange--did none of you watch Nikita? As non-CW a show as you'll ever see.

We're not CW bashing on this show, Chap. Just a joke pulled in from other threads :)

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The trailer doesn't look half bad but I think the fans are going to give this show less wiggle room to nail down being interesting. I seriously doubt fans are going to wait for this show to build momentum.

Last edited:

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They show the Joker, Riddler, and Ivy. Riddler looks to be older than Bruce when, at least to my knowledge, they're about the same age. I'm willing to work around that. Also, if they don't have Tommy Elliot as a major character they're really missing the boat.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was looking at the cast and it's obvious continuity is not going to be this show's strong suit. Here are my issues:

They have Ivy's name as Ivy Pepper and not Pamela Isley.
Oswald Cobblepot looks to be a teenager when he is at least 20 years older than Bruce Wayne.
They have Bette Kane in the cast which is a real head scratcher as she was originally created to be a love interest for Dick Grayson who in the grand scheme of things isn't even a glint in his father's eye when Bruce's parents are killed.
They have a grown Renee Montoya who is in the comics younger than Bruce Wayne or at worst the same age.
Edward Nigma is either 20-something in this cast or an older teenager when in the comics he's about the same age as Bruce.

This is just what I can glean from the cast. I am impressed, however of the inclusion of Crispus Allen(The Spectre).

Beaver

Maximum Effort
Reaction score
I'll give this show a shot. The Batman universe is about the only superhero comic I am interested in.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll give this show a shot. The Batman universe is about the only superhero comic I am interested in.

Where I think this show might struggle is getting people interested in characters that have no resemblance of who they become and the fact that it's missing the main character (Batman) from this universe. At least in Smallville you had a character who had abilities and powers. Even though it didn't have Superman you had a character that resembled who he becomes as the main driver. Bruce Wayne is a kid in this.

It appears your getting more back story on the city and the eventual characters who make up the Batman Universe. I just don't see how they do this without completely destroying continuity unless all the Super Villains younger selves are going to be grounded in reality.

How fun is that going to be? No Batman, back story on Gordon, Gotham and some characters who eventually become Super villains. I mean we get it. Most of the guys had horrible things happen and they became evil. Do we really need that much back story on them all?

This is going to be very tough IMO to pull off but if they have great writers...anything is possible. I will give it a try but have a very short attention span on this show if they don't hit it out of the park right off the bat.

Last edited: