Google looking into buying....

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The contract is currently held by DirecTV, which pays about $1 billion annually for the rights. That contract, however, expires at the end of the 2014 season.
Citi analyst Jason Bazinet believes that DirecTV is losing money on the deal, generating only about $725 million a year in revenue. He thinks a new contract would run about $1.5 billion if DirecTV were to make another go for it.

I wonder how many customers DTV would lose if they lost the ticket? I know I would switch to Verizon Fios in a millisecond if they had it.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the nfl would make the most on offering it to every service rather than exclusivity I would assume.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder how many customers DTV would lose if they lost the ticket? I know I would switch to Verizon Fios in a millisecond if they had it.

I switched from DTV to Fiios once and soon switched back. I won't do it again even though I'm frustrated at the DTV/Pac 12 war that looks to have no ending. As a sports fan, even ignoring the NFL package, DTV is worlds better than Fios especially if you insist on HD programming.

Steve

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I switched from DTV to Fiios once and soon switched back. I won't do it again even though I'm frustrated at the DTV/Pac 12 war that looks to have no ending. As a sports fan, even ignoring the NFL package, DTV is worlds better than Fios especially if you insist on HD programming.

Steve

Steve is right, DTV has better quality and better HD programming. When I switched from Comcast to DTV I was amazed at the quality of the picture. Never had a better picture and now that I am on Verizon Fios (not by choice) I would still take DTV in a heartbeat.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, when I go to tune into a Cardinals/Rams game, will the TV suggest a game with better teams playing?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Steve

I'm tired of streaming ASU football games. Direct TV has me on the verge of going with Dish.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Having spent several decades figuring out exotic ways to watch or listen to Cardinal games and finally have things pretty well nailed down, the last thing I'd want is for Google or anyone else step in, reinvent the wheel and think up new technical hoops for me to jump thru.

But if the costs are comparable to DTV and I don't have to buy new equipment, re-learn some complicated log-on procedure, put up with screen lock-ups due to Wi Fi disfunction etc. and can simply turn something on, dial or scroll to the game and click it, that would be nice.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm tired of streaming ASU football games. Direct TV has me on the verge of going with Dish.

Personally I lay this all at the feet of the Pac 12 Network. DTV doesn't bend much but Larry Scott is armed with a toothpick and trying to wield it like a club. This deal probably won't get made until Larry's ego is forcibly retired. He's going to once again try the "everyone that wants our product should just switch away from DTV" approach to gain leverage he simply doesn't have. Scott is insisting that their package be paid for by every single DTV customer as opposed to just those that want it and it just doesn't have the appeal to support that demand. Scott is holding us hostage IMO and I have no intention of rewarding that kind of behavior by adding to his leverage (IOW, switching to Dish). Besides, I'm not willing to lose the NFL again.

Steve

wa52lz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Get a roku for $50, get Play-on $50 lifetime lic. and then stream just about any televised sporting event in the world from the VIPBox website for free!

wa52lz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Get a roku for $50, get Play-on $50 lifetime lic. and then stream just about any televised sporting event in the world from the VIPBox website for free!

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
They better fix the roku wifi lag...

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They better fix the roku wifi lag...

my rokus work flawlessly but I dont have any interest in the playon app.

Then again I have no interest in sunday ticket either.

I watch cardinal games and whatever else comes on regular tv.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
If I could watch the NFL on the internet, that would end TV service at my house.

Which is unfortunate because DirecTV is by far the best service I have at my house. I have ZERO problem paying them money because there service is AWESOME!

Yet, why pay $100+ a month for something I really don't use. I watch all of 10 shows, if that many, and they are all available online.

The only thing that keeps TV service in my house is football and hockey.

Very interesting.

BTW - watching TV through my tablet ? I cannot tell the difference in quality.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I could watch the NFL on the internet, that would end TV service at my house.

Which is unfortunate because DirecTV is by far the best service I have at my house. I have ZERO problem paying them money because there service is AWESOME!

Yet, why pay $100+ a month for something I really don't use. I watch all of 10 shows, if that many, and they are all available online.

The only thing that keeps TV service in my house is football and hockey.

Very interesting.

BTW - watching TV through my tablet ? I cannot tell the difference in quality.

I quit cable long ago. Have an xbox in the living room and rokus in all the other rooms. We watch broadcast TV, netflix and hulu. Dont miss it at all.

Again though, I watch the cardinals and they are on broadcast TV. I could care less about other sports or having sunday ticket.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
apparently he has issues streaming in his house and gets lag :shrug:

Well, the person's problem is probably the cable modem and the service provider.

Gotta get high-speed internet, and a router with extremely good bandwidth.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, the person's problem is probably the cable modem and the service provider.

Gotta get high-speed internet, and a router with extremely good bandwidth.
yeah...i dont have issues until I go out back and for that I am buying a range extender.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I quit cable long ago. Have an xbox in the living room and rokus in all the other rooms. We watch broadcast TV, netflix and hulu. Dont miss it at all.

Again though, I watch the cardinals and they are on broadcast TV. I could care less about other sports or having sunday ticket.

I'd quit cable (satellite in my case) in a second if I could pick up broadcast TV. Unfortunately, we'd need a rooftop antenna just to pick up static. I have Hulu Plus, Netflix and Amazon Prime and all I really use my provider for is sports and The Big Bang Theory. Considering how little I watch I'm paying a lot for very little. I keep looking for options but haven't found any I can live with so far. I know it's not a big deal here for most people but I won't watch pirated sports so I'm pretty much stuck.

Steve

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd quit cable (satellite in my case) in a second if I could pick up broadcast TV. Unfortunately, we'd need a rooftop antenna just to pick up static. I have Hulu Plus, Netflix and Amazon Prime and all I really use my provider for is sports and The Big Bang Theory. Considering how little I watch I'm paying a lot for very little. I keep looking for options but haven't found any I can live with so far. I know it's not a big deal here for most people but I won't watch pirated sports so I'm pretty much stuck.

Steve
big bang is on netflix I believe

Are you in the boonies or something that keeps you from getting signal?

I would argue that w hat you pay in one year for DTV would likely pay for an elaborate antenna setup :)

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
big bang is on netflix I believe

Are you in the boonies or something that keeps you from getting signal?

I would argue that w hat you pay in one year for DTV would likely pay for an elaborate antenna setup :)

I don't live in the boonies (200,000 in city and several similarly sized cities close by) but cable was firmly entrenched nationally before this area became something other than a farming community so they just never made broadcast available. Also, there is a small mountain blocking my access to the nearest repeater and other mountains blocking the ones that are further away. Unfortunately I live in a real valley not a pretend one like Phoenix. As for The Big Bang Theory, it's doing incredibly well in syndication (better than many first run shows) and it will likely be a long time before it is available on any of the streaming services.

Steve

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't live in the boonies (200,000 in city and several similarly sized cities close by) but cable was firmly entrenched nationally before this area became something other than a farming community so they just never made broadcast available. Also, there is a small mountain blocking my access to the nearest repeater and other mountains blocking the ones that are further away. Unfortunately I live in a real valley not a pretend one like Phoenix. As for The Big Bang Theory, it's doing incredibly well in syndication (better than many first run shows) and it will likely be a long time before it is available on any of the streaming services.

Steve

It is already on netflix. Has been for some time.

But w/e, was just asking to try to help but appears you have it all figured out so nvm.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is already on streaming services, pretty sure netflix is where I had found it. I only have netflix and hulu so it is on one of them.

But w/e, was just asking to try to help but appears you have it all figured out so nvm.

I appreciate the effort as I am far from having it all figured out, I just haven't found anything that would work for me. It's been awhile since I looked into rooftop antenna so I just now had the TV Fool website run an analysis of my address and the situation is still pretty bleak. According to it I could pick up Fox with a good rooftop antenna but that's about it for the majors.

Steve