Good News/Bad News

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
It’s important not to get too excited or too blasé about a preseason game. Still if they’re going to keep score I’d rather end up with the bigger number. It was fun.

There was some overall good news. The front 7 played exceptionally well, especially the D-Line. Gardeck had a nice rush. Dimukeje showed a good motor with above average quickness. Several players looked like NFL level players, though they were mostly playing against depth players.

Sadly there was bad news as well. The pass coverage in the secondary was a disaster. Describing it as porous would be an understatement. Jackson looked okay. I liked the one play that had Matthew isolated in coverage. He turned and ran well using the sideline to squeeze the potential receiver. He’s from a well known smaller school, Valdosta State. He only has medium speed but he has good size and technique. However, the most egregious play belonged to Wilson. Just like last season he too often lost contact with the receiver. He’ll be a major liability if he doesn’t improve. He certainly shouldn’t start.

Also I was disappointed with the tackling technique of several players. They hit too high and we’re easily shaken off. This problem is common in preseason and could go away. Similarly special teams often include players who won’t make the roster, so don’t get too high or low on that aspect. That said Dortch looked like what I projected last August, “…when he was acquired I posted that Dortch was a good acquisition. He’s sound as an special team performer and should help keep Moore from having to undertake the risky assignment of kick returns. Dortch also showed he could be a third down target if needed.”

In addition to Dortch looking good as a receiver a similar player, Bolden, gave evidence he could be an asset. It’s hard to envision the Cards keeping both. It is nice to know if Moore doesn’t develop, the Cards have options for the slot. There was an Isabella sighting but he’s old news. Perhaps the Cards are hoping to get a 7th round pick for him. They won’t. Seikovits got a reception. I think that’s a first for a Cards’ international player.

The Cards didn’t get much resolution to the RB hierarchy. Ward and Benjamin still seem engaged in a dead heat IMO, though a couple of colleagues favored Ward. I’d guess Ingram was destined for the practice squad.

While I don’t think it’s of great importance I suspect McSorely is a lock if they keep a 3rd QB. He simply looks more polished. He’s no threat to displace anyone.

Finally I know coaches like to keep preseason vanilla. However, I’m worried about the 2 minute drill. It continues to look chaotic and I’ll-conceived.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Marco Wilson looked lost. I hated much of our passing defense. I did think we played very tough, and mostly penalty free. Did we even have one penalty in the first half?

And I loved what Dortch brought.

Line of the night from the TV broadcast....... OHIO! FIND IT HERE!!!

On to next week.

Card'em

All Star
Reaction score
The Cardinals are in a world of hurt at cornerback. If they start Marco Wilson teams will feast on him. I wouldn't be surprised if our two starting cornerbacks are players that are made available at cut down or poached from someone's practice squad. That's just how bad it is.

Last edited:

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There are probably some players available via trade
Personally i would sign a veteran like Rhodes or Alford and then trading for someone in the last year of his contract that would cost us no more then a 4th round pick

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Legitimately don’t believe Kevin King would be a top 3 on this team.

And that says a lot about Kevin King.
Have to see it to believe your opinion and after last night's secondary performance your claim is outrageous.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was actually impressed by the improvement with the coaching. The last couple of seasons it seemed like a complete cluster out there at times. Players looking confused. Players not knowing if they should be on the field. Penalties all over the place.

However, albeit for just one game, the players looked like they knew what they were doing and where they should be. They finally didn't get called for 100 penalties. I'm hopeful that this trend continues.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was actually impressed by the improvement with the coaching. The last couple of seasons it seemed like a complete cluster out there at times. Players looking confused. Players not knowing if they should be on the field. Penalties all over the place.

However, albeit for just one game, the players looked like they knew what they were doing and where they should be. They finally didn't get called for 100 penalties. I'm hopeful that this trend continues.
100% this

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Jr

i thought the defense especially showed improvement. The offense worried me with that hot mess of a 2 minute drill.