Goober Mans Near Draft Mock Draft

Goober Man

Ultra Vida Guerra Mojo
Reaction score
With 5 days to go till the draft I figured I'd give a mock draft another shot since doing my pre-combine mock draft. Well here it is...Enjoy

Rd 1: ILB Sean Weatherspoon, Mizz: With Terrence Cody still on the board I had to choose between the two. I ended up choosing Spoon because I feel there are less issues with him such as Codys weight issue and if he can continue his work on his weight.

As for my view on Weatherspoon: While most scouting sites list him as a OLB I believe he is best suited as a WILB because of his coverage ability and his ability to get to the QB. He also played MLB during the senior bowl and a bit while he was at Mizz.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/ScoutingReports/OLB/Sean-Weatherspoon.php

Rd 2: NT Terrence Cody, Bama: I am putting Cody on here because I can't find anybody else who would be a better pick in the 2nd round. I highly doubt that he will be there but if he is and we pick him I will do backflips...litterally. I would like to go BPA in this round and get a player like Arrileous Benn or Dexter McCluster but the need for a NT is too great.

As for my view on Terrence Cody: Yes he is fat. Yes he won't get a lot of sacks or TFLs. But he will take up blockers and allow linebackers to make plays. He played at a very high level in the SEC and is showing NFL scouts that he can take weight off. I only hope he keeps up that work after he is drafted.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/ScoutingReports/DT/Terrence-Cody.php

Rd 3: ILB Brandon Spikes: The Cardinals have 2 picks in this round so they can go do a couple things. Draft for future or draft for depth. Well I pick Brandon Spikes because of Hayes is getting up there in age and as an insurance policy in case he gets injured. The Cardinals can also go CB or S in this round but hey they have 2 picks in this round.

My view on Spikes: I think he is best suited as a SILB. He is a thumper and his lack of speed would be hidden in the 3-4. He can shed blockers very well and played against top competition most of the time and he would do well if he had to step in for Hayes IMO.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/ScoutingReports/ILB/Brandon-Spikes.php

Rd 3:CB Akwasi Owusu-Ansah, Indiana (PA): One of the spots the Cardinals did not address was the depth at CB in the off season. We were exposed at that position during the playoffs. We could also look at Chris Cook or Brandon Ghee as other prospects.

My view on Akwasi Owusu-Ansah: Brings great value to the football field being a solid CB and as a KR. Played at a small school but has great upside. Has good/speed height. Would be an ideal 3rd CB in the nickel defense.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/ScoutingReports/CB/Akwasi-Owusu-Ansah.php

Rd 4: DE/OLB Greg Hardy Ole Miss: I think the Cardinals go a couple ways this round. Go OLBer/TE/or OL. The OL isn't that big of a need since they have their past draftees and signed a couple good OL. There is question marks at OLB with Cody missing the season and Will Davis still being a raw at OLB. I choose OLB because you can never have enough pass rushers.

My view on Greg Hardy: He would of been a top 10 pick if he wasn't injured during his last two seasons. I've personally seen him play and he has tons of ability and potential. He can cause a lot of havoc when he is healthy and I think Lott could do wonders for him.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/ScoutingReports/DE/Greg-Hardy.php

Rd 6:TE Rob Gronkowski, Arizona: I went TE in this round because the Cardinals can cover all the areas that they didn't address in the off season. I know a couple people will say that Gronkowski won't be there in the 6th or even last to the 3rd. But I have the thought in my head that he will take a Ben Patrick like slide where he was ranked highly on a few scouting boards as the 3rd best TE in the draft.

My view on Rob Gronkowki: He didn't play at all last year. Injuries are a lingering concern. Has loads of potential. Apparently has great bloodlines. Reminds me of Jermey Shockey skill wise.

Rd 7:QB Tim Hiller, Western Michigan: Cardinals need a 3rd string QB or a practice squad QB and the 7th around is where to do it. They could go with Mike Kafka, Skelton or Canfield.

My take on Tim Hiller: Has the physical tools you look for. Good height and accurate but doesn't posses that rocket arm a lot of people are looking for. Had a 60% career completion percentage during his time in college. Was very productive in a low level conference.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/ScoutingReports/QB/Tim-Hiller.php

Get'em if you can

QBs
Tim Tebow

RBs
Dexter McCluster

TEs
Jermaine Gresham
Dorin Dickerson
Ed Dickson

OLs
Bruce Campbell
John Jerry

DEs
Brandom Graham

DTs
Dan Williams
Arthur Jones
Linval Jospeh
Torrell Troupe

OLBers
Serigo Kindle
Jerry Hughes
Ricky Sapp
Eric Norwood

ILBers
Rolando McClain
Jamar Chaney

CBs
Kyle Wilson
Devin McCourty

Ss
Earl Thomas
Major Wright
Morgan Burnett

Last edited:

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
That would be a phenomenal draft. We beef up the box in a big way: NT, WILB, SILB, DE/OLB. That's where games are won and lost. I have said on here for years that winning starts in the trenches (not that that is solely my sentiment, but I just made that point during so many past offseasons when the Cards were looking at skill positions rather than the dirt positions).

I like what you did here....

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Five days until the draft!!?!?! I didn't realize it was so close.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Outstanding effort. I don't know that Cody and Gronkowski fall to where you take them but sign me up if they do.

I actually think Spikes has a better chance of being available in rd 6 then Gronk.

If the WILB and NT needs are filled after the 2nd rd then going BPA (with a lean towards CB and TE) the rest of the way should deliver huge dividends.

HookemCards

Have at you!!!!!
Reaction score
Will Gronkowski be around in the 6th? Most of the mocks i've seen have him in the 2nd. Love the draft, and its about what I was going to post in my mock, except I'd prefer they grab a WR with that other 3rd, I'd take Shipley there. Then probably a CB like AJ Jefferson in the 4th. But yeah, I'd be pretty thrilled with that draft.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
My view: based in your selections (I believe, however, that Spoon will be off the board, and we will select J. Hughes)

Rd 1: ILB Sean Weatherspoon, Mizz.

Rd 2: NT Terrence Cody, Bama: It will cost us our 4th rounder to move up and grab him.

Rd 3: ILB Brandon Spikes

Rd 3:CB Akwasi Owusu-Ansah, Indiana (PA) or Javiar Arenas or Jordon Shipley

Rd 6: "Red" Skelton QB

Rd 7: BPA

Lomax to Green 84

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Excellent draft! Gronkowski in the 6th would be a coup! The Weatherspoon, Cody, Spikes, and Awasa selections along with Gronkowski would make for a terrific draft!

The Cards front office will be doing backflips if the board falls this way.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I am hoping the draft shakes out like this:

#1 - OLB/DE Jerry Hughes - Phenomenal pass rusher

#2 - OLB/ILB Daryl Washington - Speedy LB with range and instincts

#3 - NT Torrell Troup - Mt. Cody lite, can occupy blockers at 314 ILBS

#3 - CB Donovan Warren - Will challenge for McFadden's spot this year

#4 - ILB Brandon Spikes - Thumper who will replace Hayes

#6 - QB John Skelton - Workout w/ ARZ last week could be a sign

#7 - TE Colin Peek - More of a blocker than pass catcher but can do both

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Goober man, I would be very happy with that draft even though I don't like Mt. Bloaty.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA