Gonzo trying to be consistant

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Today's article in the AZ Republic.

I don't think very many people expected Gonzo to repeat his 57 HR campaign last year and really his 28 HRs were not off from where he was in 2000 (31) and 1999 (26). His major loss of power came in his 2B total (19) last year. 2002 was 1/2 of 2001 (36) which was even below 2000 (47) and 1999 (45). He was below 35 for the first time since 1997 and below 20 for the first time since 1992(!).

"That's why with Barry being as good as he is, a lot of times they don't throw anything close to the plate. But the one time they do, he doesn't miss."

Bonds was able to compensate for his power drop-off by easily winning the National League batting title, and that's the kind of consistency Gonzalez is striving for.

I think Gonzo needs to pay attention more to Barry's BB total and OBP than to Barry's AVG last year. If Gonzo is able to keep his OBP over .400 and keep getting BBs every 5-6 ABs then he will more than make up for his under .300 AVG or his drop in power (which is eventual).

Here is my projection of Gonzo for 2003 though:

Code:
Player	AB	BB	K	HR	H	2B	3B	SB	AVG	OBP	SLG	OPS
Gonzale	580	88	78	35	177	33	4	5	0.305	0.397	0.559	0.956

Last edited:

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm amazed that Gonzo can even swing a bat. Wasn't his injury a shoulder dislocation?

When I dislocated my shoulder for the first time, it was two years before I regained total strength and the range of motion has never been the same again.

Of course, Gonzo is a better athlete than I ever was and today's training techniques are better. It's still a testament to Gonzo's work ethic that he is playing today.

The same goes for Danny Bautista. Every time they show that video of him rolling over and shredding his shoulder, I cringe. I hope Danny makes it all the way back.

Moose Lady

Veteran
Reaction score
Originally posted by Skkorpion

The same goes for Danny Bautista. Every time they show that video of him rolling over and shredding his shoulder, I cringe. I hope Danny makes it all the way back.

He already looks like he's all the way back. He's been hitting somewhere around .400 something ( sorry, us old folks have memory lapses alot more now). I think I heard it was .400 something. If I didn't correct me. But he's fielding just fine and beating the poop out of the ball at the same time. I don't think I'd worry too much about Danny B. :thumbup:

RLakin

All Star
Reaction score
Originally posted by finleyfanatic
. I don't think I'd worry too much about Danny B. :thumbup:

I'd agree with this. Bautista has a had a long time to make it back. Remember he was in the cages by early October, so I think he's probably closer to 100% than either Counsell or Gonzalez. Whether or not he can be consistent right handed power source remains to be seen. He showed signs early last year, and the D-backs could sure use some of that production this year, especially now that Colbrunn is gone.

DbaxJ

I was lost but now I'm found
Reaction score
I think Danny has much up his sleeve... he was showing positive signs to that last season before the injury.. I think his biggest problem has been the lack of having a position to play full time. He is going to have that again this year, and I hope he lives up to his potential that I see from him.

Derek in Tucson

Veteran
Reaction score
While it does remain to be seen if Danny Bautista can produce over the course of a full season, it was an encouraging sign when he got off to a hot start last season before injuring his shoulder. The difference though between Bautista and Colbrunn is that Colbrunn wasn't a fulltime player, and wasn't considered a fulltime player since 1996 when he was with the Marlins. With Seattle, he could get a chance to be a fulttime player since he won't have to wear a glove.

My hunch says that Colbrunn signed there with a side agreement that after Edgar Martinez retires after this season, Colbrunn would be the DH in 2004. I believe this outweighed whatever the DBacks might have offered him and they decided that paying Colbrunn anything close to the $3.6 million over the next 2 years, with incentives(at bats) that could make it even more, wans't a good investment.

At this point with Colbrunn's knees really limiting him to the 1B and DH spots instead of the 3B and emergency C he could tack on to his resume in the past, the Dbacks made the decision that he was expendable.....especially after only totaling 268 at bats over the last 2 years.

Moose Lady

Veteran
Reaction score
Originally posted by Derek in Tucson

the Dbacks made the decision that he was expendable.....especially after only totaling 268 at bats over the last 2 years.

Like he had a choice! ! They knew he could only be a back-up at 3rd, if that, and with 2 other 1st base people, there was not even a chance to be a back-up there on any kind of permanent basis. They were so hot to use Ruby at 1st to get his bat into the game, that it didn't leave any room for Colby. I don't blame Colby for jumping ship but I will forever be upset that we gave up the best pinch hitter in baseball.

Derek in Tucson

Veteran
Reaction score
But is the best pinch hitter in baseball worth nearly $2 million a year? And it wasn't just because of Durazo that limited colbrunn's playing time, but like Durazo Colbrunn had trouble staying healthy the last 2 years missing time with knee, back, elbow, and achiiles heel injuries.

Sidenote: Lakin, save us the smart remarks of "well they're paying Matt Williams $10 million a year to be a pinch hitter". We already know your take on that one.