Gonna be a long long season

KYCardFan

Veteran
Reaction score
One, the defense can not stop the run, the linebackers outside of Hicks are woeful, the first contact made on running backs is 4 yards past the LOS, teams will eat the Cards alive in time of possession.

Two, the offense is vulnerable to inside blitzes with the wide OL splits, the Raiders did this with Double A gap blitz all night. Also, the backside defensive end will always stay at home on boots, so that play will be blown up immediately.

Preseason game results offer little, but these troubling trends are gonna make this a long season without some kind of adjustment.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
One, the defense can not stop the run, the linebackers outside of Hicks are woeful, the first contact made on running backs is 4 yards past the LOS, teams will eat the Cards alive in time of possession.

Two, the offense is vulnerable to inside blitzes with the wide OL splits, the Raiders did this with Double A gap blitz all night. Also, the backside defensive end will always stay at home on boots, so that play will be blown up immediately.

Preseason game results offer little, but these troubling trends are gonna make this a long season without some kind of adjustment.
I personally call bull**** on those saying that you can't judge the offense because they are not going through their entire playbook because they looked bad just snapping the ball. But there really is no excuse for first team defense looking like a pee wee league team. If they aren't going to play with a purpose or are afraid to end up like Alford then don't play them because it creates the appearance to fans that they have no desire to be out there and we're paying to see that crap.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Texas Tech, Washington St & Oklahoma were the least blitzed teams in college football last season. Reason being is because of the "Air Raid" & the quick passes & tempo. Blitzing up the middle leaves the middle of the field wide open for seam routes also. Gambling by blitzing up the middle has it's shortcomings as well. Hopefully KK will call plays to expose blitzes when the season starts? KM keeps saying they're not running the offense in preseason that they practice & will use in games once the season starts. If they look bad against the Lions, then I will start to worry?

StreetTruckinTitan

You talkin' to me?
Reaction score
My concern is defense and the same old same old Oline. Kyler and the offense will be fine and high powered when its finally shown in the reg season but is dependant on the line protection.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
That was my first thought when I listened to some of the game on the radio. Just feels like we need one more season of upgrading certain positions on the team. Feels like we could not patch all the holes in one off season.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
That was my first thought when I listened to some of the game on the radio. Just feels like we need one more season of upgrading certain positions on the team. Feels like we could not patch all the holes in one off season.
.....and that is what was said last offseason after the Cardinals draft their "Quarterback of the future".

IMHO.

The 1st thing that needs upgrading is the GM and the scouting department.

Sent from my mystical communication warp drive device thingy

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
.....and that is what was said last offseason after the Cardinals draft their "Quarterback of the future".

IMHO.

The 1st thing that needs upgrading is the GM and the scouting department.

Sent from my mystical communication warp drive device thingy
The second thing is getting a new DC.
It was Amazing how many WR's were running wide open down field.

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

The holes created were self induced. Although I have more questions about the coaching staff than the players. Kyler Murray better turn out to be that transcendent talent that most of the posters are drooling over. Because we could have drafted guys like Q Williams, Bosa, Allen, etc... That could have gone a long way to patching the defense. I know it's just preseason but the defense looks absolutely horrible. Both the OL and DL should have been priority.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
KY Card Fan, gonna be a long season? I think you're confusing this year with next or 2021. Only 16 games this year, and then the League will go to 18.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We will be picking in the top 5 in next draft. The lack of physicality on both sides of the ball is astounding.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Texas Tech, Washington St & Oklahoma were the least blitzed teams in college football last season. Reason being is because of the "Air Raid" & the quick passes & tempo. Blitzing up the middle leaves the middle of the field wide open for seam routes also. Gambling by blitzing up the middle has it's shortcomings as well. Hopefully KK will call plays to expose blitzes when the season starts? KM keeps saying they're not running the offense in preseason that they practice & will use in games once the season starts. If they look bad against the Lions, then I will start to worry?

#11 said the same thing in his interview on the sideline last night...Said they run up temp, with 25 seconds on the clock, in practice...said these preseason games has been the only time they've huddled. This can be one reason whey they have so many procedure penalties...their timing is just off all over the place. It's super painful to witness...and I hope their plan does evolve.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
#11 said the same thing in his interview on the sideline last night...Said they run up temp, with 25 seconds on the clock, in practice...said these preseason games has been the only time they've huddled. This can be one reason whey they have so many procedure penalties...their timing is just off all over the place. It's super painful to witness...and I hope their plan does evolve.

They keep saying this, however running it in practice and running it under live game conditions against an opponent are two different things to me. Of course one can look at it as running it against the Cardinal defense is a whole lot different from running it against a legit NFL defense.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
If you practice up tempo and no huddle, you better at least use it a little in preseason game speed or come week 1 it will be chaos.

Week one will be chaos no matter what they do. KK doesn’t even know the NFL rules yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
If you practice up tempo and no huddle, you better at least use it a little in preseason game speed or come week 1 it will be chaos.

I think KK is forgetting his offense is going up against what is quickly looking like a bottom 5 defense so his offense is going to look good in practice. You would think a coach would like to see how his offense looks in live game action but apparently KK is not one of those coaches. Maybe that works in college. I just get this bad feeling that our HC and QB are still in a college mentality.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
By week 4 of regular season we will know who we are. Glorified college scheme or truly able to make this offense excel.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
They keep saying this, however running it in practice and running it under live game conditions against an opponent are two different things to me. Of course one can look at it as running it against the Cardinal defense is a whole lot different from running it against a legit NFL defense.
Lol, our defense has serious issues. KM keeps saying this offense is hard for a defense to stop. The offense we ran when Hundley came in last night looks like the base "Air Raid" offense to me. They moved the ball, 2nd teamers against 2nd teamers, this offense has so much more to it though, I've watched it at Kentucky when Hal Mumme (the creator of it) coached there & it's gotten way more creative since the late 90's. Rex Ryan running his mouth about the offense this morning.............well, he's being like his late father which called similar offenses chuck & duck. They're just scared & don't want to draft more DB's & fast LB'ers to cover a more creative uptempo style passing game.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
There's a reason KK runs this offense, it works. The NFL GM's don't want it, they don't wanna have to chase offensive players all over the field constantly. They want same ole same ole, smash mouth/play action. This offense causes teams to need more DB's & faster LB'ERS. It caused Nick Saban at Alabama to start recruiting faster LB'ERS, Johnny Manziel at Texas A&M beating his ass twice did the trick. Saban up until that point recruited only bigger LB'ERS that could stop the run. Time will tell in the NFL but just watch, we will start scoring points.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
There's a reason KK runs this offense, it works. The NFL GM's don't want it, they don't wanna have to chase offensive players all over the field constantly. They want same ole same ole, smash mouth/play action. This offense causes teams to need more DB's & faster LB'ERS. It caused Nick Saban at Alabama to start recruiting faster LB'ERS, Johnny Manziel at Texas A&M beating his ass twice did the trick. Saban up until that point recruited only bigger LB'ERS that could stop the run. Time will tell in the NFL but just watch, we will start scoring points.
Not if we cant beat the blitz